Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

I've ordered three things through Address Pal in the past month. Two from Hong Kong and Singapore via USA and one from the UK via the UK. Address Pal filled in impeccably complete CN23s with 10 digit TARIC code and I am almost sure the merchants didn't include said 10 digit code as I couldn't get them to comprehend Irish requirements in the first instance. They seem to be covering their own arses with caveats but in my recent limited experience it seems to be a solid way of ensuring something comes with the required Irish customs requirements. They'll apply VAT to the value of the item plus the Address Pal postage cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

UK postal parcels - Ireland is way ahead of other countries on a per 100,000 basis and would be up there on a physical number basis especially in the personal parcel area. Though possibly overtaken by Poland at this point.

The common denominator being British people is not racist in any way at it is what it is. The issue is incorrect or not properly stated information at the source - eg British people.

In spite of people wanting to shoehorn this into either a Brexit/British/RM issue or an EU wide issue there are North American and Asian retailers (as well as British) who have stopped selling or standard shipping to Ireland alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

EU wide requirement, not just Ireland. They would also need a 10 digit code for any USA address, not just Address Pal. This is from the An Post site where I made a dummy export from Ireland to the USA of shoes made in Austria (AT). Maybe merchants in Asia have stopped sending to USA domestic addresses as well?

Running Shoes

A suitable HS6 code is 640411

A suitable 10-digit code for US import is 6404116160

A suitable 10-digit code for AT export is 6404110000

"EU wide requirement, not just Ireland." - I didn't say it wasn't an EU requirement? The requirements to get post into Ireland could be characterised as Irish requirements notwithstanding the fact they're also EU requirements and could also be described as such?

"Maybe merchants in Asia have stopped sending to USA domestic addresses as well?" - Maybe this is a really obtuse comment but I don't follow what you're saying here? Are you trying to say that the requirement to export to the USA or the EU is entry of a 10 digit code therefore when I ordered from Asia to USA the merchant provided a 10 digit code regardless therefore my assumption they didn't provide it isn't correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

My objection remains. There are many issues, factors, organisatins, conflicting laws and rules that all go to make up this problem which you yourself said is widespread. It remains unacceptable to single out one group or nationality as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Has anyone asked a seller to include the 10 digit code on a package prior to shipping and had a successful delivery? Hoping to buy a CD from Japan and ask the seller to include the code but I'm not even convinced that if this was included that it would ever get to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I did on a record from UK seller bought on Discogs last week. The item was sorted in the Dublin Mail centre two days ago and nothing since. I’ll update if it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dynomutt

I did when ordering from the US on Oct 18th, and received a customs payment notice on Oct 27th.

When I checked tracking, I discovered that the parcel had arrived in Dublin on the 25th and was returned on the same day. An Post put it down to a “processing error”.

It arrived back in Ireland yesterday and I paid the customs charge. Tracking says it’s out for delivery so fingers crossed I’ll have it by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Looks like you can turn a 6-digit code into a 10-digit one by adding '0000' at the end? Worth a try possibly if you can't find the actual 10-digit code.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Japanese seller I recently used has re-sent my CDs via DHL. He refused to send again via normal airmail given An Post’s unexplained rejection of the package.

Exporters in places like China and Japan should be well used to the 6 digit HS code, and would be expected to keep up to date with the current version. New update due in 2022. It forms the basis of the CN 8 digit code, used by the EU to gather statistics about trade within the Union. Another 2 digits is needed for the TARIC code. This is the 10 digit code that Customs in the EU want electronically declared and transmitted from outside the EU. As far as I can see, the last digit of the 10 digit code is always zero.

http://www.wcoomd.org/en/topics/nomenclature/instrument-and-tools/hs-nomenclature-2022-edition/amendments-effective-from-1-january-2022.aspx

https://porath.com/en/hs-cn-taric-ezt-whats-the-difference/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭deezell

They might keep up to date if the entire EU returned every 6 digit packet but only the zealots in AnPost are pulling that stunt. The result is some suppliers will only use expensive couriers.

Right now a supplier of drive belts in the UK I used will only quote DPD for Ireland, £10 on a £5 purchase, to which DPD will in all likelihood add VAT and an admin fee to satisfy customs. The last time I had a packet delivered by a courier from a non EU source, and had VAT added, the courier admin fee was €12.50. What fees are people paying for DPD /FedEx on small packets? If I add that and exchange rate, about €3, and VAT, 23% of €18, €4.14, I'm looking at nearly €35 all in. Time was it was £5 and about £3.50 Royal Mail. Same item is about €13 here, €10 delivery or an hours drive return to pick up from a counter, so the UK cheap source is no longer feasible. Sometimes though the only source of a part might be the UK, so a £5 item can turn into €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Electronic declaration by DPD is €5.

Another party involved is the UPU which has described postal services as having to deal with a "tsunami" of parcels. The same phrase is being used by DPD. They think that Advance Electronic Declaration will help with processing exports/imports by post, but it will probably take time to settle down. An example of how parcel post is increasing is the UK stats (all parcels, domestic and export).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1170645/parcel-shipping-volume-united-kingdom/

Has this to be paid on receipt along with VAT, or is it included in the total DPD charge on ordering?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They send you an email with the details and link to pay.

A UK company/ individual can also do pddp with both royal mail and DPD. (Post delivered duty and tax paid)

Royal mail only added Ireland to the facility in the last couple of weeks. They should have had Ireland as one of the first countries

Thinking about it, it would be nonsensical if they did.

If there's something you need you can only find in the UK and that merchant will only go courier to Ireland then you're probably best using Address Pal. £6.50 delivery and the AP VAT collection admin fee of €3.50 on this side. Still a significant add on for a small purchase but you're probably saving a few pound on delivery and flat admin fee. That's if you can stomach using AP.

I used addresspal before, it was great for UK sources who wouldn't deliver to NI and parcel motel, or whose free postage didn't extend to NI.

Now AnPost doubled the price, and a guaranteed additional €3.50, plus you'll definitely pay the UK VAT as well as Irl VAT, so it's painful to use it now.

• Advertisement

We are almost at the stage in which it would be cheaper for individuals to be out of Europe and to set up trade agreements with the UK and US instead.

Per my earlier post, I asked a seller on Discogs to specifically ensure that the 10-digit TARIC code for vinyl records (8523809000) was included with the electronic customs info on a package from England. He shipped it last Tuesday and it arrived today with no requests for VAT or customs fees. Of note, the form on it was a CN22.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Can someone please tell me if selecting DHL as the shipping method with those bleeps - Buyee/Tenzo - will result in a successful delivery? I have twice had a package returned to Japan because those S/heads take the attitude it's the customers responsibility to sort it and liase with those even bigger bleeps - AnPos/customs.

Did you pay the Irish Vat as source to the UK retailer through IOSS?

so if the Taric number is ten digits and if using IOSS number that also included and CN22 it should get through?

Has anyone used aliexpress or any other similar retailer recently and got anything through?

Discogs is automatically adding VAT to purchases at source and the seller must include Discogs IOSS number with the shipping info. That, plus the 10-digit TARIC code and a CN22 got this package through no problem, which is encouraging. However, IMO an ‘n’ of 1 is not evidence enough that there wont be issues with a similarly prepared package next time… time will tell

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If its Express DHL are doing the clearance themselves. If its parcel post they seem to be handing it over to An Post either here or Germany and then its in trouble.

I just wonder what the chances of trying to communicate with sellers on a platform like Aliexpress to try to get them to put in this info would be...

When An Post are going on about "electronic declaration" I presume that they mean the information in the QR Code which they scan?

I've had 10 or more deliveries from Aliexpress since the changes came and this became an issue in Ireland. Not a single one of them were returned regardless of what was on the label. I'd say 90% of them were flown to Liege and the rest came the slow way via Kazakhstan/Russia. I don't know if there's something inherent in their processes but all their parcels seem to be getting through fine. I even had a parcel come this morning that was ordered on 30 June prior to them charging VAT that disappeared 2 months ago on tracking in Russia. Showed up today no issues and AP never tried to collect the VAT due.

Before I knew that Ali stuff seemed to be getting through fine I tried to explain to a couple of sellers via the messaging but at best one person said "I am using IOSS number". Most of the others didn't even respond.

Anyone here had any issues with Aliexpress being turned back?

what postage methods were on those items out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I have had aliexpress parcels regularly with no issues. They also never have a taricc code on the outside of the parcel. all their customs declarations are done electronically.

Advertisement