Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Well there you have it. From a Whistleblower no less

Can you post a link to this article from the whistleblower?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post state it on their radio adverts, I heard it yesterday. Pushing their own partners and shopping in the EU. I don’t know how they are allowed to do it, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭AnRothar

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭thelordgod

I received a parcel from Japan this morning. I was charged the correct VAT on it last week so I have no complaint about the process itself but the strange thing was there was only a 6 digit HS code on the CN22 (and presumably any electronic declaration). So there seems to be no consistency in the requirements to get a package into the state via An Post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just played it after the 12 o'clock news on TodayFm. Making my blood boil the more I hear it. The answer to their balls up to to buy from Ireland or the EU, or one of their partners. Sod the fact that the product I need is only sold in Australia.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Got this ad on Twitter not sure if it was shared already.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Insane. Ireland doesn't even exist as a shipping destination for a lot of EU-based retailers, others charge fortunes for shipping here. The state now gets its tax on all imports, anpost takes a cut too and yet they illegally limit consumer rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If there is a market they will ship. The same as companies in Japan or China. The EU and America has recognised the problem of low postage rates from China etc. Trump was going to pull America out of the UPU for this reason. Freight has already bypassed GB in large volumes. Which companies do not post to Ireland?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/more-than-40-direct-ferry-routes-now-bypassing-uk-to-deliver-goods-to-ireland-in-wake-of-brexit-40983355.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Please explain? Would really love to hear of this "illegality"

If it comes from a EU country there is no tax, no admin fees and no delays. If it comes from outside the EU taxes and charges are added at entry. The same way taxes and charges are added at entry to Australia, USA, UK and other non eu countries for goods coming from the EU. Those states get their taxes on imports too.

Plenty of EU retailers sell to Ireland - I use several. I also work in a business that sells to EU countries, but due to costs and other issues, we don't ship to Greece or Malta.

We do not ship to the UK anymore due to draconian conditions introduced by UK government, so we simply have told our former UK customers that we wont ship to them.

Please please please show me the illegality. I would like a laugh

• Advertisement

Do you think people in this thread buy outside EU just for fun or to save a penny?

How about you read the posts above and then laugh as much as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

They (and seemingly the top brass at An Post) do. All communication from An Post infers that one should be able to buy everything you want or need within Ireland or, failing that, the EU. Unfortunately, those of us with interests that are not covered by Amazon, Boots, River Island or M&S are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Oh wake up! There are hundreds if not thousands1 They are forever being reported in the UK media. Royal Mail are continually reporting it.Personally, I have 22 and counting who will no longer ship to me, and being specifically British goods, there's little point in telling me to shop for them in the EU. A someone remarked previously, theres little point in you challenging this statement, because all you're doing is challenging a buyers right to choose where they make their purchases.

I can't understand why you would not be admonished by the Admin for such behaviour. Make your point, but there's no dignity in ridiculing the contributor with "I would like a laugh". It does nothing to strengthen your view, and only damages your own credibility.

Read the post I quoted, and my question in response. Nothing new about GB companies not shipping to the EU, thousands abandoned the practice at the start of the year. I was asking which companies in the EU do not ship to Ireland.

Making unsupported allegations of illegality is serious and probably in breach of the charter.

Asking a poster for further information is not unreasonable.

What part of Irish or EU law do you believe An Post is in breach of?

I very much doubt An Post are doing anything illegal, but it is at the very least a questionable practice for the national Postal carrier to dictate to people how and where they should be doing their shopping. That is none of their business, and they seem to be trying to cover up their own shortcomings with this system.

Here is the question everybody should be asking. They have clearly made big changes. To fix what ? There was nothing broken.Everything was fine. Its almost like rogue traders in which the guy goes into a house breaks a hose pipe and then charges extra to fix the mess he made.

Now the Irish people are being hit in the pocket and are being told where they need to shop, cant get parcels,facing new restrictions whilst the people who left Europe are getting their parcels with no problems.

They have said it was a Revenue decision. I believe it was between the 2 of them. It makes sense to automate the process using the information provided from the sender, as long as everyone is working off the same information. Its looks to me like An Post went on a solo run, looking for more information than other EU countries.

• Advertisement

Here is an example of an English company which stopped sending to the EU. I found them useful for their 50 pence packets of seeds, now they won't even send to Northern Ireland. No doubt they found the whole thing "questionable".

This is a EU company, with cheaper prices than GB, at least on some items I am familiar with. And free shipping from Italy to Ireland, on some deals. Not as cheap as Japan, but a lot less hassle.

https://www.mhzoutdoor.com/

If Anpost has been holding my parcel from the UK containing only books (and declared as such), asking me to pay 23% VAT and their fee to release it and for weeks and hours spent on the phone their best offer is that I make the payment and later apply for a refund and I am supposed to apply for it at an email address that I am yet to receive a single response from, and based on others' accounts, my parcel may be prematurely returned to the sender even if I make the payment, and I read here that it's systemic, then there is something seriously wrong there and it's not just a matter of gross incompetence.

I would like a laugh. Look at the weather out there. Pure miserable. So would love a laugh at what someone calls "illegality" because you get a lot of people like that. They spurt out utter nonsense and back it up with absolutely zilch.

The problem is some suckers will believe it and repeat it and then make fools of themselves in the process.

So I would love to read what "illegality" the poster claims as it will be bullsh1t and it will give me a hearty laugh.

With four different actors involved, there is plenty of room for incompetence, gross or otherwise. I would take that over the conspiracy theories.

The exporter has to depend on the carrier, in GB Royal Mail / Parcel Force mostly. Anyone reading post 1375 would not be inspired to have much confidence in RM. But exporters can make mistakes too. Then we have our own Revenue, and An Post, or other deliverer.

Yes there are a lot more parcels with issues going to Ireland that to other EU countries - guess why?

1 - There are a hell of a lot more parcels sent from UK to Ireland than UK to any other EU country.

2 - English people still think Ireland is some part of the UK and all the parcel needs is a stamp

3 - Many Irish people in England have a similar attitude as in "sure it will be grand".

4 - From previously living in the UK, staff in post offices are utterly dreadful and don't give a hoot

When all people living in the UK sending parcels to Ireland realise that you have to provide proper information, then the issue will go away. But until then, parcels will be returned.

Funny, I've had no issues with any packages, but in a couple of cases I gave the sender the taric codes and made sure they put the correct details on the package.

As for thinking it is just Ireland. If you google search in local language (please don't use English), you will see the EXACT same issues with the following countries.

Greece, France, Luxembourg, Bulgaria, Belgium, Portugal, Netherlands & Sweden are what I've found.

From that, the common denominator seems to be British people and Royal Mail. But sure lets blame the big bad local guys for british issues

Nope its not going on in other European countries nearly as bad as here. In fact given our population, we shouldnt be having nearly as much issues as other Europaen countries, but the fact is, we are bypassing them withe the amount of returns. Also its not just the UK to Ireland parcel service. The UK is coming in second to that of China/Asia. In fact if you are ordering a parcel from outside of Europe its safer to have your products sent to another European country and then forwarded to Ireland. Every day i see 2 or 3 people who have had their packages returned to Asia. Personally i have had a package sent from China to France, it is currently on the way to me from France as i need to get it soon. I have had the same parcel sent to the US and sent to me and its currently on the way to me from the US. Thirdly i have the exact same parcel coming directly from China. Not sure were that is. I know people having their parcels sent to Germany from Asia, and then being forwarded from there in order to avoid any "Christmas Issues" . Other people i know have an address in Northern Ireland and then they are driving them down from there.

Before you ever made the suggestion I had already checked (in the local language) France, Belgium, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, China and Japan.

You are partially correct in your assertion that there are some problems. What you fail to say is that the proportion of "problem shipments" is substantially less and more importantly, the Postal Authority engages with the recipient to resolve the problem. Needless to say they don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, fees are involved, but at least the recipient has options.

You are incorrect that Ireland receives more UK parcels than any other European country. The UK Office for National Statistics would place these rankings as 1)Germany 2)Belgium 3) France 4)Netherlands 5) Spain 6) Ireland etc. etc. etc.

Finally "the common denominator seems to be British people" is borderline racism.

Something seems odd to me. Ireland got 6.8% of the UK exports in 2020, but lags way behind Belgium which got 3.4%, in the parcel post element of that trade??

Or slightly different stats from another source. Both sources show Ireland at number 2 in the EU behind Germany, for total exports received by value.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/exports-by-country

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jwmpayne2004

Greetings! Just wondering if you are using addresspal with your US shipment to Ireland? If you could recommend any forwarder that will great. Thanks!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if this is any use to you, but here's my story, just 48 hours old.

I have a medical condition that needs a device which is only made in the US and only sold there and in the UK.

The manufacturer would be clueless about shipping to Ireland, so I contacted Addresspal and asked them if I got an accurate TARIC Code,

instructed the seller to put it on the invoice and purchased the item for delivery to Addresspal USA, would/could they use the invoice to generate the correct paperwork for successful import to Ireland.

They said the invoice would need all the usual, description, value, weight, TARIC Code and preferably placed on the outside of the box, and subject to the item not being a Prohibited or Restricted item, they would complete a CN23 to go with the shipment. More helpful than I'd hoped for but,this time at least, well done An Post! (or is it a trap!!!!!!!!!) (joke!)

Advertisement