Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

• 23-07-2021 5:49am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, this is a new thread for chat about Dun Laoghaire in general without the traffic & transport nonsense.

Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

How is the redevelopment at Rainbow Rapids coming along? It'll be great to be able to follow the coast all the way to the Forty Foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

it's extremely slow progress, with fewer and fewer workers on site every time I pass. If I didn't know better I'd say the main contractor is in a bit of bother.

Anyone know the latest on the Charles Fitzgerald?

I am really really really missing that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

On the market I heard, or will be soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

There was band setting up in the new square at Bloomfields at lunchtime today. Couldn't find any more info about it. Would be great if they were able to use that space for more performances. Even a semi-permanent stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The council are pitting on a good series of concerts over the next few weeks. Choose your night wisely & you may even see yours truly on stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Has anyone any idea what these checkerboard patterns on various footpaths around DLR area are all about? They seem a lot more ornate than the usual markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Mav11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Jaysus, it's a good job all those people who didn't want to hear discussion of the pedestrian/cyclist/driver wars on the regular thread got their own place to discuss the issues of real importance 🤣

And very little sign of the posters who requested it originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Co-ordinates for the alien spacecraft to land for the takeover of the earth now that we have all been injected with the 5g chips 😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dball

Credit where credit is due. Was in the Haddington hotel a couple of weeks ago. The place is an amazing asset to the area..

Great pizzas too. 10/ 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

I was there at the weekend for an early meal with the kids

I think I prefer how it used to be a few years ago - a lot more relaxed, family friendly pizza restaurant whereas now it's gone a bit too upmarket (for want of a better word).

Food is still great though. Maybe I should try the beer garden next time we eat with the kids.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Rumours of the baths being complete for December 2021. So probably open several months later...

I see that there are no grants going to DLRCC for permanent outdoor dining structures. Seems to be one of the few LA's not getting support. Would Lr Georges st. be suitable??

https://www.thejournal.ie/outdoor-dining-funding-failte-ireland-5544444-Sep2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Surprised at that myself actually. The piece doesn't really explain how the funding was allocated.

Perhaps Georges St (and the various other changes in DLRCC catchment area) being a trial and not "permanent" means it doesn't qualify.

I would say that's exactly what it is. I know the project in Wexford is to put a permanent canopy over a side street.

That's probably it. Seems a shame that central government grants like that are going a begging and DLRCC seems to be one of the few (only?) council not to get one.

• Advertisement

The perception in Merrion Street has always been, 'sure DLR is loaded, they can pick up the tab for this stuff themselves'. That despite the fact an eye watering chunk of DLR LPT is repatriated to places like Roscommon.

Maybe they're right and DLR is rolling in it.

The basis of LPT is flawed and has always been flawed from day 1, giving surplus funds to councils that might not need it and depriving councils where it might be needed. While it is gravy for councils like DLRCC, it penalises homeowners in the county who might be asset (their home) rich and cash poor, (pensioners). Anyway when you look at the vast amounts of money spent on, say the Lexicon, you couldn't blame central government for taking that view.

But I don't think that is the reason for outdoor grants not coming to DLR.

DLRs active school travel budget is over two million euros.

This is in an urban area that has lights footpaths, public transport, taxis etc.

I drive around the country and its pitch dark on winter evenings, there are no footpaths to walk on and you see people pushing buggies, no pedestrian lights etc and people jogging into oncoming traffic.

The Lexicon cost 40 million euros but if you order a well reviewed book it takes many weeks to get it, thats at the moment and once budget cuts hit due to covid it will take months, so millions spent on a building but the public cant get timely access to books they want to read.

Have you tried the library Borrow Box? Great service!

@Gaspode @mods Mods would you consider remerging both of the DLR threads? This thread is not really being used since it was set up and by remerging would add a little more variety to the main thread! Thanks Mav

No, I must look into that.

I read book reviews and then order quickly.

I wanted John McGaherns Letters so ordered it quickly,twenty people ahead in queue and book not even ordered yet. It will takes weeks if not months to get a copy and the Lexicon must be the biggest public library in the country.

Think of the amount of books you could buy for forty million euros.

I think that public libraries are limited by law in the number of copies of a book that they can hold. Hence the queues for new releases, you'd need to be in very early!!

It's not an 'either, or' situation ffs. The building is a gallery, community centre, performance space, education venue, eatery, study and research location, focal point for the town. If they hadn't the building where would they keep all the books!

It cost 40 million euros, that is the issue when other parts of the country dont even have footpaths to walk on.

They dont have playgrounds or swimming pools or decent libraries and yet for some reason DL residents need a monstrosity as s gallery, an eatery,(the town is full of cafes), a community centre, why do DLR residents need a state of the art community centre.

That library should have been located in the centre of the town and there was no need for a building that size, no other Local Authority in the country spent anything like that on a public building, the library in Gorey for example is very nice, everything on one level, staff at the entrance, really good selection of books, a building like this was more than adequate for Dunlaoghaire.

Its not as though there werent plenty of libraries in DLR, there are four within a few km of Dunlaoghaire so plenty of space etc for galleries, meeting rooms etc

• Advertisement

What buildings would you have demolished to get it closer to the centre of the town than it is now and how much would you have paid for them? (bearing in mind it is all of 200 metres from the dead centre of the the town as it is)

Also bear in mind, that facility was paid for by development levies and other funding collected in DLR, it received no central government funding, so when it comes to other parts of the Country and their lacking footpaths, I suggest that a) they can go and **** themselves and that b) you really ought to stop talking s***e.

Advertisement