Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - What's it like now?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

What day of the week is it you are flying Susan? Think Monday/Fridays tend to be busier, can you see how many flights going out of T2 that morning. Its just so hard call atm. Are you near the airport can you still drop bags the night before for early flights or have they stopped that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Can one meet incoming international passengers anymore at Dublin Airport?

I am due to collect a relative with two kids tagging along who will have a lot of luggage with them so will need some help. Can they request some help at the airport with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Today midday was about 40mins T1.

Security sending high number of bags for search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are flying on a Tuesday morning. We would be approx an hour from the airport driving.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I think if its not during the Easter holidays you should be good especially with Fast Track, just seems so hit and miss atm to know. Friend flew t2 this week Monday and was 45 minutes in Fast track early morning flight, another friend flew wednesday lunch time and it was empty, 2 minutes to get through

• Advertisement

• Yes, you can meet your friends/relatives, though they don’t encourage it so as to keep terminals as I crowded as possible. But you can slip in, say when plane has landed about 15 minutes, then you will be there to help when they come through. If you find yourself getting out with too much time to spare you could go for coffee in one of the departures cafes or else a hotel nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

On the chat bot if you ask Security Times and then choose the Terminal you are flying from it will tell you the times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭abff

We got the same email from Ryanair for a flight departing at 2 pm tomorrow. Don’t really want to be hanging around the airport for three hours if it’s not necessary and thinking of aiming to get there around 11:30.

Bit of guidance in this from DAA for coming days, will be bad at peak hours. hopefully the new recruits start soon

https://m.independent.ie/news/dublin-airport-ramp-up-security-operation-as-passengers-report-long-waits-41490319.html

I got a further email from Ryanair this morning advising us to get to the airport 3 and a half hours before our departure time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭notAMember

Mother of god. Are they not embarrassed in that airport?

3.5 hours in the airport for what is a potential 45 minute flight to the UK?

I live in Cork and fly for work. I fly to London or schiphol to connect to places you can fly directly from Dublin, because going via Dublin adds 6 or 7 hours to my journey, vs 2 hours through other hubs.

And the return is torture too. 2 hours I waited for luggage the last time I went through Dublin, another hour getting out of the car park and then three hours drive home.

cork airport is zero wait for bags and I’m 15 minutes to home.

Would the shagging DAA not just schedule the flights from cork or Shannon instead? Far more business flights should go from Cork. Apple, pharmas, dell, the vast majority of industry in the country is in cork. It would take the load off Dublin, free up the roads and generally be more efficient. Cork airport is empty every time I’m in it. Loads of capacity.

Amomcnally has it on her stories this morning, at airport at 4am and it’s bedlam! DAA need to get their sh1t together, fast track was 45 minutes, it’s absolutely scandalous

We arrived at the airport around 11:15 this morning and we were through security by 11:55. Not as bad as we feared and leaves us with plenty of time to relax before our 2 pm flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭markpb

DAA make the airport available for airlines to operate flights to/from. They can’t force airlines to move to Cork or Shannon or anywhere else and even if they could, would the airlines have enough staff, ground crew, luggage handlers, etc there to handle the flights? Should they hire and train extra staff in Cork for what is hopefully a temporary problem?

I assume the delays are still due to the extra screening needed for staff. If they are, I strongly suspect the fault lies with DoJ and the guards for not being prepared for a scheduled regulatory change. It’s quite likely that the airport are taking the brunt of the blame for a problem they can’t fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Juran

Dublin Airport passengers report missing flights due to long delays at security (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-airport-passengers-report-missing-flights-due-to-long-delays-at-security-1.4837390

2 hours to get through security this morning .. reported in the IT.

I have a 2 week trip to England coming up, I calculated it would take the same time to fly from Dublin as to take the fast ferry & car. So I booked the ferry. I won't need to hire a car, and I can bring back shopping, should I chose.

The big bonus is avoiding Dublin airport.

DAA have influence and the opportunity to propose routes to airlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Two minutes security wait time the other morning in Cork - but it was actually up to 12 minutes this morning apparently!!!

Landed this afternoon and a 100m walk, if that, to my car parked in the long term parking (which is actually closer than short term). On the south ring five minutes later.

Unless it was at least €200 cheaper to fly from Dublin I'd fly out of Cork and connect, but I'd avoid transferring through the UK for now due to Covid reasons and it not being the EU.

For people on the south side of Dublin, Cork airport is probably a viable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I never heard of any departments in the DAA who call airlines advocating that they start x route.

the DAA don’t have that expertise. the airlines themselves do so they contact the DAA looking to operate.

you wouldn’t have Tesco calling Cadburys advocating they start making X product and you can be sure the DAA are not advising what cities and countries for airlines to put their aircraft and staff into.

DAA's ability to make a trip through Dublin Airport as unpleasant as possible is a major contributor to the continued existence of other airports on the Island including both Belfast Airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭elperello

On RTE 9 o'clock news now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Dublin airport is quickly overtaking LHR on my "hate to travel through airports". Unfortunately, I can't really avoid DUB but my god they have made it a bloody nightmare. There is no ecmxcuse for the types of delays people are experiencing now getting through security. I'd normally be quick to blame people being slow to take electronics and liquids out of their bags but this is something completely different.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Dublin is now far worse than Heathrow in ways (although I've only used T2 and T5 there really).

One of the worst parts about Dublin is landing late in the evening and ending up at the bloody South Gates (pre pandemic). Then having to wait ages for a bus because DAA are too tight to bother with remote gates that have their own bus. Shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

There's nothing better in life than stepping off a 12 hour long haul in LHR T5 and straight into a security queue.

The problems in DUB are completely avoidable, which for me makes it even worse. I try to take my flights late morning/early afternoon now as the morning rush hour isn't worth the hassle.

seeing this from twitter, DUB yesterday. Hundreds supposedly missing flights. I have never seen a queue like that in any airport I've been through. That should be a stackable offense.

I can imagine its not too much fun. That said the last time I was transferring through T5 I was, literally the only person transferring and walked straight up to the one security guard. We had a great chat.

Pre-pandemic days too, got lucky I guess.

Manchesters queues were out into the carpark the other day apparently, so not great there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Juran

This video clip is shocking. Its as if there is no staff at all in the place.

My heart goes out to people who missed their flights. Thank god I wasnt there, not cause of missing my flight, but I would have been arrested for levelling a member of DAA or Security staff with pure rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Flew out on the 16th from T1 to Malaga and it was manic between St Patricks & Cheltenham. Had fast track which went quick enough. The que for security snaking around the check in desks in 1st pic. 2nd pic was my sister in T2 at same for Aer lingus. Things dont seem to have gotten any better after the long weekend and can imagine it getting worse with Easter coming.

Slightly different note we did arrive back in Saturday evening in to T1 and the arrivals area there was like a ghost town and passport control was empty apart from a few Ukranians

• Advertisement

Read elsewhere that only 2 of 10 security queues were operational. They have hired over 100 security staff but background checks and garda vetting could take months to sort. Even Fast Track was closed.

Advertisement