Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Greatest - Most Overrated Song - Live Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Q9

AC/DC - Highway to Hell Vs Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill

Q10

Tweet - The Birdie Song Vs Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved

Q11

Boney M - Rivers of Babylon Vs John Lennon - War is Over

Q12

Calum Scott - Dancing on My Own Vs Lewis Capaldi - Hold Me While You Wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill

Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved

Boney M - Rivers of Babylon

Lewis Capaldi - Hold Me While You Wait

Lewis Capaldi is basically a more boring version of ed sheeran

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

AC/DC? Ah here!

9 - Pass. I like both.

10 - Lewis Capaldi. No-one actually rates the Birdie Song.

11 - Boney M. Have to vote for my nomination. Second biggest selling single of the entire 1970s? Rivers of Babylon?! That's pretty much the definition of over-rated for me.

12 - Pass. Never heard of either, which makes it hard to judge which is more over-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Tweet - The Birdie Song

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved

Abstain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I prefer the latter but I think it is somewhat overrated!

PASS - Like Cdeb, I find it hard to choose between two songs I never heard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

ok after reading both le vars and quickbeams post..I have kind of figured it out so votes with explainers just to remind myself

OASIS..cos loads of people like jimis song but many people of other tastes musically probably havnt heard its brillance yet hence jimi is underated.

Drake see quicbeams note 2..its boring and ed who I can take or leave in general as a musician song castles is quite good so hence possibly underated by people who dont listen to that genre? So ed is underated.

stone roses... just think this is an undersppreciated song and other overated but good. So I vote STARSHIP.

Rod steward a lot throw this song under the bus as kindof of a novelty song but it actually does what is os on the tins label while the beatles song is good but not one of their greatest. So vote BEATLES

bloody heck typing posts on the new site..the box keeps dropping everytime and you lose where you are.

Apologies Kolido these are my votes if you cant change them thats ok

ccr..good song but overated and overplayed ...they have much bettet songs

pass..both underappreciated and mainly un heard by newer generations

billy joel..good song but overrated

weather girls...overated but still a fun song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

AC/DC - Highway to Hell Vs Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill - seriously people, what's wrong with you?? 🙄

Tweet - The Birdie Song Vs Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved - I have very fond memories dancing to The Birdie Song is a kid, so can't vote for it

Calum Scott - Dancing on My Own Vs Lewis Capaldi - Hold Me While You Wait - Dancing on my Own is a fantastic song!!

pass both good agree Irish Aris

lewis

boney m

lewis

• Advertisement

AC/DC - Highway to Hell 1 Vs 3 Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill

Tweet - The Birdie Song 2 Vs 5 Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved

Boney M - Rivers of Babylon 4 Vs 1 John Lennon - War is Over

Calum Scott - Dancing on My Own 0 Vs 5 Lewis Capaldi - Hold Me While You Wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

It's about whether a song is overrated or not. It's not about whether you like the song or not. So, you could like a song but still think it is more overrated than the other it is up against. Conversely, you might dislike a song but not think it is overrated. Of course, you might dislike a song and also think it is overrated!

This is basically it, you can like both songs but still pick one over the other. With the low numbers around today, we can do with all the votes we can get :D

If you are not familiar with both songs in a match I can understand a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Fair point, still though Highway To Hell and Running Up That Hill: how can anyone consider either of this as overrated.

I can understand Don't You Forget About Me that appeared earlier: a song that even Simple Minds have mixed feelings about it - Not necessarily overrated, but definitely overplayed, still a great song though :)

I think with 170 songs in this, there's going to be some...controversial choices in there. But hopefully we can weed out the chaff (ie the good stuff!) in this early on and leave us with some proper dross in the business stages of the comp 🙂

I'm a fan of Highway To Hell myself, but can definitely see why someone would have considered it as overrated too (basically what you said about Don't You Forget About Me being overplayed can apply to Highway To Hell too), whereas Running Up The Hill for me is still criminally underrated, so objectively I saw reason to vote for Highway To Hell between those two...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tweet - The Birdie Song

Calum Scott - Dancing on My Own

Q13

Freddie Mercury - Living on My Own Vs Tom Petty - Freefallin'

Q14

Madness - It Must Be Love Vs Massive Attack - Teardrop

Q15

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody Vs Prince - When Doves Cry

Q16

Eminem - Lose Yourself Vs Blink 182 - All The Small Things

Freddie Mercury - Living on My Own Vs Tom Petty - Freefallin

Finding it a bit hard to decide on some of these - though not for the usual reasons!

17 (is it?) - Freddie Mercury. I remember that when it came out and thought it was really cool. But it's not.

18 - Massive Attack, if only because the Madness song isn't over-rated at all for me.

19 - Righteous Brothers. It's a good song, but how many weeks did it spend at number 1 in the 90s? I know it wasn't the Righteous Brothers version, but still, I got sick of it at the time and I guess that counts as being over-rated.

20 - I like that Blink song, and rap in general is hugely over-rated, so Eminem by default here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Freddie Mercury - Living on My Own

Massive Attack - Teardrop

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody

Eminem - Lose Yourself

• Advertisement

Tom Petty - Freefallin

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody

Blink 182 - All The Small Things

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tom Petty - Freefallin

Prince - When Doves Cry

Blink 182 - All The Small Things

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm not sure what's still open, if you want me to vote on previous rounds too, I'll try, but for the last four:

Freddie Mercury - Living on My Own Vs Tom Petty - Freefallin: gods, I hate that song, even though I like Queen, that one is just awful (I think I nominated it). I like that Tom Petty song, so definitely not overrated, though if it was Learning to Fly I might struggle to choose (I didn't nominate that, though I probably should have).

It Must Be Love is great, and so is Madness.

Love that Righteous Brothers song, and Prince is overrated in all his songs.

no opinion, sorry.

Thanks qb, those are the only 4 matches currently running

freddie... the other brings back more memories every time I hear it

madness..though I like it ..think other underated and still under known by many

prince... but I love it but the other is never over rated amazing song

blink 184..straight up over rated

this harder than I thought especially if you love both songs😢

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Late to the party as usual sorry.

Freddie Mercury - Living on My Own Vs Tom Petty - Freefallin - Not everything Freddie was great

Eminem - Lose Yourself Vs Blink 182 - All The Small Things - i wouldnt say either are overrated really but of the 2 mnm pips it.

Freddie Mercury - Living on My Own 3 Vs 2 Tom Petty - Freefallin'

Madness - It Must Be Love 0 Vs 5 Massive Attack - Teardrop

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody 3 Vs 2 Prince - When Doves Cry

Eminem - Lose Yourself 2 Vs 2 Blink 182 - All The Small Things My vote

Going to try post some on my phone. This new site is a nightmare. Jumping all over the shop when you refresh and don't even talk to me about copy and paste.

Q17

The Beatles - A Day in the Life Vs Disturbed - Sound Of Silence

Q18

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop Vs The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love

Q19

Kings of Leon - Use Somebody Vs Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Time to Say Goodbye

Q20

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe Vs Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall

The Beatles - A Day in the Life Vs Disturbed - Sound Of Silence

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop Vs The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love

Kings of Leon - Use Somebody Vs Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Time to Say Goodbye

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe Vs Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall

Good shout on Disturbed, whoever nominated that.

Can't Buy Me Love has no place in this competition. I don't know Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, but I'll vote for it as an anti-vote for the Beatles. What's wrong with ye people?!

Time to Say Goodbye is another great tune; no idea why it's here. But the KoL song is the theme tune to James' May's Toy Stories, which is a great little series, so I can't bring myself to vote for that either. Pass.

Final one - I'm a bit torn on this. Not a massive Floyd fan if I'm honest. Another Brick in the Wall is a good tune though. Can I vote for it? I think yes, as the question is over-rated, not bad. So - apologies! - Floyd in the last one.

• Advertisement

Disturbed - Sound Of Silence ; it's a good and perfectly enjoyable cover, but still not a patch on the original Simon & Garfunkel version

The Beatles - Can't Buy Me Love ; is Thrift Shop especially overrated? Overplayed at the time, but in general I think people were quite contemptuous toward it, although I've always liked it. The Beatles have many far better songs, yet Can't Buy Me Love has always seemed to be put on a bit of pedestal

Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli - Time to Say Goodbye ; there are much better versions of this, to the point that only ever seeing this version celebrated around Forum Games it has put me off the Brightman/Bocelli cover.

Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall ; I won't argue that I'm making a blasphemous choice here, but have special memories of a fairly significant time in my life associated with Call Me Maybe

Advertisement