Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

Fix the time format.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

This is the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, possibly ever.

Honestly, this site is almost unusable in its current state. Worse still is it's intentional. What an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Are the staff off for the weekend? Was there any update yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

I have no idea what is going on anymore.

I can't find anything, previous posts or even something I posted earlier.

The previous layout was great, easy functionality, facilitated easy discussion. Now it's like searching in the dark for something. Sorry but it's almost impossible to use the mobile site anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Seems an abuse or spam flag shows as flagged, the tradition report with a message doesn't seem to show a counter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty awful launch. New site is a disaster. Hopefully issues get fixed were users get too frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On the profile page, what's the "Activity" box all about?

Looks like the box for posting on a normal thread, but I'm afraid to try it out in case I can't find/locate what I've done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You now have some activity. Let me know what you can do with it? Link so you don't get lost.

In the jargon of this new sad Facebook wannabe I think I have posted something on your wall?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Slow to load still, and bargain alerts is a disaster, one of my favourite forums. Getting told your leaving boards and all sorts. What a mess. Confident issues be ironed out but why the move from vBullent when they still make software?

• Advertisement

You did indeed! The notification I got said The Continental Op had posted on my wall, and under my profile there indeed is your post - thank you very much!!

And then I got a separate notification about you posting this post, mentioning me.

(But before I could do anything with either, the notification bell cleared itself - which surely defeats the purpose of a notifications icon???)

But I still don't know what will happen if I post in the box above? I post on my own wall? Why would I want to do that?

God, it's all just Very Hard Work 😖

But does that make any sense? The abuse and spam flags are currently seem to be working as "Don't Like" negatives so to spell out the obvious whats to stop a Troll coming out from under its bridge and reporting every single thread by someone he doesn't like? Then that could be some mess to sort out or at the very least extra work for mods.

Have you got a thread for these fixes? I think a lot of users including myself would find them useful at the minute. Thread read feedback will fix a lot of issues users have. It has been tracking threads and new posts for me anyway just not marking as read.

While finding any of your posts might be difficult finding any posts that you have had flagged as spam or abuse is easy - from my profile

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

My profile looks different on Android.

The spam and abuse are for an empty post I can't delete. 🤣🤣

The count should only show for mods and admins really, if I had to guess if it gets reported as spam or abuse >N times an admin or mod will get a notification to take action. Guess it needs to be better defined what abuse is. If I had to further guess the discretion of the mod taking action will probably determine how many points are deducted if any, definitely needs clearing up. One report is not likely to be abuse or spam, multiple reports from different users it likely is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would imagine yes they are. There were a few outages for various reasons over the recent years and they tended to occur on weekends. It usually took until Monday morning for things to roll again.

@Boards.ie: Niamh it's been mentioned numerous times - but please, please, please can you reactivate the bold/unbold distinction between threads that have unread/read posts on them in the old home page that's under the BOARDS.IE banner (top left)???

I'm guessing it's a legacy from the old site, and may be due for scrapping for all I know - but I've tried to train myself to use the avatar (top right), and the "my bookmarks" tab - but honestly, it's so unintuitive and clunky, I absolutely hate it.

Being able to flick between the Latest Posts, My Threads and My Forums tabs (even though the My Forums tab isn't working properly) is just so simple compared to clicking numerous times to get into menus and sub-menus via the avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Yeah I know they're usually off. Thought they might be in this weekend considering the shitshow the site is left in.

Another thing about Notifications is one has to actively ''Mark as Read'' because even after going to the notified thread the red number remains on the bell (on Desktop, at least).

This is quite annoying. And not neat! It offends my aesthetic sense 😊.

In the old system, when one went to a thread that had caused a notification, the notification automatically deleted itself. It seems to me to be better to just give one notification (the old way) rather than telling me a load of names have individually commented on a thread. I just need one notification and to press it and go to first of the unread comments (for me) on the thread. All the notifications really clutter things up. And I have only chosen to follow occasional threads - I cannot imagine how it would be if one followed lots of threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

I much preferred the old version. I just hope the issues get sorted.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

"Another thing about Notifications is one has to actively ''Mark as Read'' because even after going to the notified thread the red number remains on the bell (on Desktop, at least)."

Until it doesn't!

I had two notifications earlier today, and before I got near clicking on the bell (I was reading another thread at the time), it spontaneously cleared itself.

It also seems entirely random whether you get a notification using the red bell top right, or a pop-up bottom left (which disappears really quickly, I usually miss what they say), or indeed any notification at all.....

Agree there and whats worse is half the time I'm having to "Mark as Read" Notifications that have come in long after I've already read the post. I haven't been notified about your post yet so it will be yet another where I'll need to "Mark as Read".

Another stupid thing is the way you have to either open all the Notifications to a new thread individually or "Mark as Read". Opening the lastest Notification to a thread still leaves any earlier notifications to for that thread marked as unread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

As someone else described, it's a stealing pile of dung. I've gone from near-hourly viewing, every day, to practically nothing since the launch. It appears that zero consideration was given to the UX, and I haven't a notion of trying to relearn or employ hacks for what should be basic forum functionality. I haven't even navigated away from this thread on mobile, as the last time I did, it took an age to find it again. I'll give it another week or so, and if things haven't improved, I expect I'll call it quits.

The absolute shambles you've made of the site, for its users - without whom you have no content - beggars belief. No users = no new content = little or no traffic = no reason for boards to exist. Talk about shooting yourselves in the feet (yes - both of them).

I can't see where I can delete notifications, they're all still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭thereitisgone

Wow, people stressing so much, its a free to use forum, Things not perfect right now but improving all the time

If your stressing this much about a forum being a little bit more difficult to use for a short time till they fix things

Then the end is nigh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You realise this is the feedback forum yeah?

You have to scroll down to the bottom of the list then you'll find Mark All Read

But you can't actually delete the notifications that are in the list.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Can they reduce the number of posts per page? Shouldn't that be a configuration setting?

Page loading is very slow. Maybe reducing the page size might help?

• Advertisement

I don't see a mark as read at the end but that's probably because I've clicked on them as I see them.

It's going to be fun scrolling through pages of them to mark them as read ... 🙄🙄🙄😏🤨

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement