Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

This is probably way down the priority list but old boards had a setting to auto subscribe to a thread you posted in. This was great feature

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Mentioned above, tree dots on your post banner RHS

• Oh, you might want to sticky this thread across the site for the next week (or send a mass message etc) to generate feedback during your flurry of updates. I posted here and spent several minutes trying to find this thread again to edit and update my post above with more info.

Basically some easy way for users to get back to this thread especially as it doesn't show in Latest Posts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Regarding seeing which of your followed threads have new replies, there's a workaround for the interim (at least on the desktop site - I don't use boards on mobile). Click on your avatar in the top right. From the drop-down, click on "Bookmarks". This will take you to this page;

Open envelopes (red arrow) have no new posts. Closed ones (green) do have new posts, and you'll be told how many (4 in this case). However this is still glitchy... If a thread is showing dozens, or even hundreds of new posts, it's acting like you've never read it. My solution is to just navigate to the last page of the thread directly, and from then on it should work as the image above.

Oh, and clicking directly on the name of the thread from this page will also take you to the first unread post. Hope that helps some of you until the kinks are worked out! 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oooh, that works alright - but it's verrrrry subtle, and kind of hard to use. I'd love to see the old system of bold meant there were unread posts, non-bold meant you'd read them all.

Gah, we REALLY need an edit-post button!!!

Also meant to say, even if they want to stick with the verrrrrry subtle envelopes on the side, they need to go on the home pages (latest posts, my forums, my threads etc) - basically when you see a list of threads, it should be obvious which you've already read all the posts in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

As mentioned there a massive issue for me is that the 'my forums' is gone, I literally can't find some forums, as they don't seem to be showing in categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There is an edit post function, but - like so many other features - it's been converted from an easy-to-understand button (e.g. one that says "Edit" or "Follow" to a barely-visible symbol hidden behind a click.

The site has all the hallmarks of having been designed for members using mobile phones, where hover functions have no place, and screen space is at a premium. Fair enough, if that's what the majority of boards users want ... but it's made the desktop version look cheap and nasty compared to proper modern forum software.

I'm still giving it the benefit of the doubt, but having presided over (or sat out) other forum migrations, I'm struggling to understand what the week's downtime was for, because we're not looking at a few cosmetic issues, but serious loss of functionality. The lack of an auto-subscribe function when you contribute to a thread - a bog-standard feature that has been on every version of every forum I've ever used - is matched by pointless notifications of contributions to threads that I'd unsubscribed from years ago, and there's no apparent way to turn them off. On the other hand, there's no notification of new posts to bookmarked threads, which makes no sense whatsoever.

And in the time it's taken me to write this, the page has become unresponsive four five six times. Never had that with the old site. Am now wondering if that means we've lost the option of writing while offline.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The search function is an absolute disaster and a nightmare to use, Also losing the google links to pages and searches is going to hurt the site long terms. If people have to crawl through pages and pages and pages to try and find what they are looking for the they won't return.

• Advertisement

I won't quote CelticRambler's post as it's long and I just want to reply to one or two specific bits of it......

Where are the Edit and Follow functions and how do I find them? (I'm going to need to start taking notes at this stage, there's so many stages to finding things!!)

And regarding notifications, there's a menu behind the notifications icon (of course it is!) with a big long list of things to tick/untick, most of which make absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I'm getting notified if someone quotes me in a thread I've commented on, and want to turn that off - but can't find anything in the list that even vaguely resembles that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Satoshi_Nakamoto

• Is anyone else not able to log into their original accounts? I keep getting this message: "Sorry, no account could be found related to the email/username you entered." when I try to log in. Please bring this to the attention of the admins -- I hope that my thirteen year old account hasn't been accidentally purged or deleted. I can't be the only one experiencing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭archfi

Desktop edit - on your post in blue bar, three dots

Mobile edit - on your post, gear icon

Desktop follow thread, top of page beside thread title, bookmark icon

Mobile follow thread, top of page beside thread title, star icon

Desktop notifications, turn off all or just the last one - I find that one very handy turned on

Notify me when people comment on my discussions.

Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.

Notify me when people mention me.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

Do you think you will get a few more hamsters to spin the wheel? It's spinning pretty slowly right now.

I had a nice ignore list in the old version, will that be making a comeback in this version?

@HeidiHeidi either my posts not shown for you or you just ignore them - Edit is on your message banner(blue line) RHS

@CelticRambler if i am out of thread page, notification show up on "notifications" bell, if on the page, pop up bottom of LHS

• Administrators Posts: 53,347 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Latest Post date seems to be broken. I can see threads in Rugby where it says last post was in 2019 when it was just last week. When I open the thread I see posts from last week.

For desktop site -

Edit: three dots on the extreme right of the blue banner *of your own post* (not labelled in any way) - click -> "Edit (1 day)" - click -> opens *two copies* of your post - the original, which you can't correct and a new one that you can edit. Why two? Who knows ... 🤷‍♂️ When you "Save Comment" the original disappears.

Follow: at the very top of the page, at the extreme right of the thread title is an unlabelled symbol that represents the "bookmark" function. Click once to activate "follow"; click again to deactivate "unfollow".

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Managed to find the private forum I'm in...and it's completely empty lol. Desktop site. Where are all the threads?

I noticed that before you visit thread on "new platform" it states first post date, once you go in and then revisit it corrects to last post date.

can you confirm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Based on the touch site I find it almost unusable, I'm afraid. Without being melodramatic, I'd say I'll be giving up on the site

It's basically impossible to follow in the way I always used to. I'm having to look for specific threads, rather than being able to discover new ones

- the biggest thing is no followed forums, that's how I always navigated

- no way to see if a thread has updated, needs last updated user and time as before

- the stickied threads need to be formatted differently so you can scroll past them easily

- I can see people discussing the value of finding users posts, I think it's very useful, but finding my own is essential

Hopefully they're fairly easy fixes, they'd make a massive difference to my use of the site

ETA: oh, are email alerts for updates to followed threads gone?

ETA2: no delete post option? I posted this in the AH thread by mistake and couldn't delete it

• Advertisement

Newly observed bug: when posting a message, it appears on the page immediately after the *last message that had been posted when I started to write*

No indication that other posts may have been made in the the meantime, and those that have been made are not shown until leaving the page and coming back to it, or refreshing ... at which time my post is now in the right place, but (in a fast moving thread) might no longer be relevant.

• Administrators Posts: 53,347 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Still showing the 2019 date for me. Maybe it'll be broken until there's a new post?

Time stamps - where's the option to display times in 24-hour format? This AM/PM thing is so last century ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

Touch site is appalling unnavigable mess. I only access boards from my phone. No subbed forums list and let's not even mention the search function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

On a forum like this "Bargain Alerts"

What do I click to subscribe to the forum?

well could be.

I get feeling that data is still being populated as we "speak"....

Just messin now to make a point: the last message I saw on this thread was ibarelycare's post of 4:55PM (there's another thing - where are the post numbers? They get used a lot in the politics forum) Anyhow, having posted three times since - or will have when I post this - the only contributions I'm seeing are my own. Since changing one setting in notification preferences, there's a pop-up flashing every so often to tell me that other people are contribution to this thread, but I'm not seeing any of that ... And my notification bell remains stubbornly at "2" (messages on a thread I have no interest in)

Again, this is bog-standard entry-level stuff - really, really don't understand what kind of product or service Vanilla are peddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the new site on mobile almost seems like an after thought.

on the desktop echoing what’s been said so far it’s awful slow.

also can no longer search a forum and the forum comes up just all threads. This is a pita since my forums hasn’t been brought over.

Also can’t believe that they somehow forgot one of the most active forums in soccer…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,327 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Everyone should have that ability! 🤣

If I click on a thread on my phone it brings me to the last unread post.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement