Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you afford a home?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I hope they mean #Instagram :pac:

Nope defo #onlyfans, overheard one the owners kids talking about it…

Lived in Dublin 8 for many years. Lots of strange owners who put their dogs on instagram, subscribers to an Only Fans sounds far-fetched.

A lot of comments on this thread sound quite incredible, literally not credible.

I dare say the face of D8 is a lot different than it used to be, we’re over run with hipsters & council flats now…

em_cat wrote: »
    Nope defo #onlyfans, overheard one the owners kids talking about it…

Alright, so to be clear, you're claiming that people in Dublin 8 are selling pictures of their pets on OnlyFans, and you're asking people to take that seriously?

Well, would you post a link? That wouldn't be against the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

U wouldn’t get a 2 bed cottage for less than 300k now in most parts of the country .:. It’s a laugh.. I went for a spin and a look at three houses going for 495k -550k in Galway tonite ..: didn’t think the houses worth anywhere near the price and just wanted a spin out of the house… couldn’t get over how crap they were when I seen them…. They weren’t even worth 200k!!! Country’s gone mad re house prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Alright, so to be clear, you're claiming that people in Dublin 8 are selling pictures of their pets on OnlyFans, and you're asking people to take that seriously?

Dog Pervert :pac:

• Advertisement

First of all it’s not pictures, they are silly videos of the kids tormenting her & dressing her up, & no I don’t expect anything to be taken very seriously in AH. And no I won’t paste a link unless you want to pay the sub for it.

You need to get with times, sure don’t you know onlyfans is the new insta & uTube combined?

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Dog Pervert :pac:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

First of all it’s not pictures, they are silly videos of the kids tormenting her & dressing her up, & no I don’t expect anything to be taken very seriously in AH. And no I won’t paste a link unless you want to pay the sub for it.

Who cares if I'm not going to pay the sub for it? You're the one who claimed there is an OnlyFans, so prove it? What have you got to lose, only face.

It would be quite a coup de grace against me, if you had evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You know that tv show cheap Irish homes, maybe that is the future. Buy a cheap run down house and do it up?

Who cares if I'm not going to pay the sub for it? You're the one who claimed there is an OnlyFans, so prove it? What have you got to lose, only face.

It would be quite a coup de grace against me, if you had evidence.

Yeah, no I’m not sending a link of someone’s 12 year old kid tormenting their dog…

Also I’m not on onlyfans, I’m not stupid enough to pay for something that I can get for free on uTube

I’ve nought to loose, if you want you can go look it up yourself…

• Advertisement

Yeah, no I’m not sending a link of someone’s 12 year old kid tormenting their dog…

Also I’m not on onlyfans, I’m not stupid enough to pay for something that I can get for free on uTube

I’ve nought to loose, if you want you can go look it up yourself…

Very well, I suppose people can decide for themselves if this exists or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We need more housing of all kinds, apartments, 2 or 3 bed houses, social housing, private housing
    Old age pensioners and people on disability live in social housing,
    Not just couples who are on a high wage,
    It seems mention housing on this forum and there's will always someone who will post about those awful people who live in social housing and who go on expensive holidays
    Since 2000 the councils have sold off 95 per cent of council houses to any tenant who wanted to buy one and could afford to buy at a discount
    The no of people who pay rent on a council house is tiny

I think some people drive past a council house see some
    expensive cars and think there must be some kind of scam going on

David McWilliams wrote an article saying we could build 1000s of houses under the coop system
    Each house would cost 200k due to reduced cost
    Maybe building on government owned land
    I presume these would only be sold to 1st time buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You know that tv show cheap Irish homes, maybe that is the future. Buy a cheap run down house and do it up?

That market is saturated now too. Estate agents all over the country foaming at the mouth selling mudpool acreage to remote working Dubs in Ballybutthole for 100k.

"James and Fiona both work in IT and are in search of a simpler life. James's personality is craft beer and Fiona likes to pretend she can crochet. They have a golden retriever named Martin Luther King Jnr."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I was on myhome.ie looking yesterday - it has this lovely slider bar feature that I like to play around with - you slide the price range from 0 to 1m and it will tell you the number of houses & images:maps etc within that price. Of course I don’t want to live in a do-ed-upper in ballygobackwards ‘town’ for 150k but there were a surprising amount of them. Not cowsheds with no roofs but terraced houses and bungalows - and ‘only’ one person would ‘have’to work and it might not be where you want to live but it would certainly be your home Nd achievable and you could do it up to your style inside - and still have your salary of 30 or 40k.

There seems to be a huge policy gap in this country where people who have a mortgage are given zero ‘rental’ help towards keeping their mortgage payments up if they lose their job while the government throws money at charities, council houses, HAP and schemes to actively oay the monthly rent of people who ‘rent’ or are living in a lifelong scheme or lifelong subsidised council property. People who have mortgages are exposed and vulnerable too - yet no policy seems to reflect or accept this or be available to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

pgj2015 wrote: »

Firstly, half those homes should be knocked down. They're not fit to renovate.

Secondly, I've seen a lot of these ruins go for big money. The seller knows the potential profit and has already priced it into the sales price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,962 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Firstly, half those homes should be knocked down. They're not fit to renovate.

Secondly, I've seen a lot of these ruins go for big money. The seller knows the potential profit and has already priced it into the sales price.

Some of them are depressing and I wouldn't go near them. I would never buy a house so old it had those really deep windows, too old. But I would go for a house no more than say 40 years old and extend it and do it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Physeter wrote: »
    That market is saturated now too. Estate agents all over the country foaming at the mouth selling mudpool acreage to remote working Dubs in Ballybutthole for 100k.

"James and Fiona both work in IT and are in search of a simpler life. James's personality is craft beer and Fiona likes to pretend she can crochet. They have a golden retriever named Martin Luther King Jnr."

Very funny, fair play to you, accurate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What planet are you living on? As is very evident on daft.ie many landlord's don't give a fcuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

As evident by broken planning laws that many home owners don't care about the safety of their own families. Is that not a it more worrying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you look outside of the cities, they you will easily get a nice house for between €200k and €300k.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

That's what we did.

We bought a 200 year old ex army barracks for 56k with an acre of land for cash back in 2015. It was basically just 4 walls and a roof. We moved in in 2017 when it was just about habitable and are still chipping away at jobs .

Not everyone's cup of tea and definitely not for the faint hearted but for a short term sacrifice we are mortgage free at 37 on an amazing property that we could never have afford in its renovated stage so for us it worked our well.

There I also a small cottage on the property which we will most like renovate for one of our kids or as a source of income when we're older.

if you buy a house in a large town or city 70 per cent of the price is paying to live in an area ,eg i live in area x ,i,m close to shop,s bus tops , work ,schools etc

why do people pay 300k for a 1bed apartment in ballsbridge ? when a 3 bed house in coolock is 270k.saying a house is not worth 200k means nothing.I looked on daft.ie dublin i cant find one single house thats cheap ,old house ,needs renovation .

3 years ago you could buy and old house for 100k and renovate it to modern housing standards.

is there a website that has old buildings for sale, where did you find the barracks ?

the cost of materials to build a house has gone up 30 per cent in the last year .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I can afford stupidly expensive consumerist crap but cant buy anything of real consequence.

🙈🙉🙊

we need more housing of all kinds, house,s , 1 or 2 bed apartments ,social housing. i think a lot of gen z maybe left behind, house prices are going up every month, while you are saving the cost an houses go,s up by 1000,s , its like if you are driving a car at 60 mph, and the person in front is driving at 90mph you will never catch up. Young people need proper housing to settle down ,maybe have children .

otherwise we could end up like japan, many young people never marry, the population is falling every year.

There is real value to be found in rural parts of Ireland. These pics taken a couple of hundred feet from our doorstep this evening. We have recently moved from a cramped, terraced home in Dublin to a spacious house with better access to the outdoors than would ever have been available to us in Dublin. We are a family with a pretty typical income, fortunately able to work from home, and completely priced out of Dublin.

Can we afford a home? The answer for us is yes, but not in Dublin. Have no regrets about leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Found our house on Daft.ie but I am on a Facebook page for Old Derelict Houses that I like to keep an eye on just because I love a good fixer upper 😉

But you are right the costs of building materials has gone up in recent years, a sheet of insulated plaster board used to cost €20 a sheet, it's now closer to €40 a sheet. My husband is very handy so he's able to do the majority of work himself ( I do all the decorating) and have only used tradesmen for electrics, windows and putting in the heating system which has saved us a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

The only reason I have a house is that I and my siblings inherited it when our dad died. But one of us is living in England and can't afford to help out with getting it fixed up as she has her own bills to pay. And the other sibling lives here with me but has no money at all, and I'm on disability, so things that need fixing are not being fixed. I can't even afford house insurance right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

But are you allowed to work for an Irish company while living in Rostrevor? Have you bought?

Thing about northern property is the tax. It's huge at the upper end

Advertisement