Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

“The majority support water charges because a democratically elected government brought them in”

See, it doesn’t really work that way in reality does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Penfailed

...and then has the temerity to accuse others of gaslighting. Someone needs to hold a mirror up to themselves.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Facemasks will still be required in certain circumstances after the 22nd. It's not the end.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

So it appears the media are all picking up on what was said but wasn't said. Maybe he knows something that is coming down the line but although the media can be accused of stirring and mis reporting, a lot of the issues stem from the personality of the cmo.

He could easily have said 'at this moment in time I see no reason to reintroduce restrictions' instead because of his ego and he knows he can, he says 'restrictions may need to be reintroduced'

Both equally accurate but one shows the mindset of the man in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

To paraphrase Ian Paisley.

"Never, never, never, never!"

• Advertisement

I’m against vaccinating 12 year olds therefore I must be some Tim foil hat conspiracy theorist who believes the world is flat.

Try harder.

Jesus we're all over the shop at this stage.

On a global scale.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/think-twice-booster-campaigns-director-163221461.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Depends on the Vaccine

BioNTech is 0.3ml (0.9% of which is a saline solution) while Moderna, J&J and AZ are 0.5ml (Adult doses)

There are scientists in Britain who were recently reported on nature.com as trying to reduce the dosage further so watch this space... For the life of me I can't find that article now

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From what I dimly recall of your posting history you're against vaccinating pretty much anyone.

Facemasks will be legally required on public transport and in supermarkets. And I think that's it... All other restrictions will be lifted on the 22nd of October

It's not "the end" until we have eradicated the virus from the planet, which won;t be for another few years at best

• Advertisement

If face masks remain then it’s not over with over 90% jabbed.the only reason they stay is cause the health services are on the brink of collapse due to chronic mismanagement of billions of €€€€ by the hse.how many extra beds have been brought in since flattening the curve,icu beds etc.feck all

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The virus isn't the problem.It's here to stay.The capability of our health system is the problem.Which we have done nothing about, in the time that we "bought" ourselves.

I don't think we need to up ICU bed numbers to cater for every person who might potentially get sick, but at the very least upping our bed numbers to cater for a higher level of ICU needs, meaning the country might be able to stay mostly open over the crests of coming waves, would be sensible, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yes but with a virus that grows exponentially it will always be a race for more ICU beds, the virus will eventually be manageable in the same way as flu is, we will get more efficacious vaccines and treatments and we will eventually eradicate the virus from the planet but it will take time

The alternative to facemasks is more spread and higher case numbers... Is that really what you want?

Not sure where you are going with this in relation to the post you are quoting but I'll play along. No, I haven't been vaccinated as I believe, rightly or wrongly, that I'm better protected than someone that has been vaccinated, as I've recently recovered from Covid.

If face masks are so effective in stopping the spread why do we still have cases .some are so wedded to a piece of cloth that do nothing but look good as I’m doing my part etc that they have forgotten that life is for living and getting on with it.here’s an idea what if we ditched the masks and breathed in the fresh air .can’t be any worse than the crap at the minute

You don't currently have to wear facemasks outdoors. That's where the fresh air is.

We had a little over a thousand cases yesterday, Alabama, which has a similar population to us but no mandated mask wearing since April 9th had almost 4,000 yesterday so I'm not sure where you're getting your info that facemasks don't stop spread

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The better half is not a major fan of pubs, so over the years we have visited a lot of restaurants. For her that is as much to do with people watching as the food I have always thoughht, so I asked her about her recall on numbers and seating etc. She said that tables were in the main set up for a couples, 4 people or 6, and outside the Christmas season, other than occasional family get togethers, rarely more than that. On the 1 meter between chair backs she said there has always been a distance between chair backs and if it is now greater she hasn`t noticed much difference.

Your contention was that capacity is now reduced by 50%. Like her good self, I really cannot see the now 1 meter between chair backs taking up much of that lost 50% and if tables have to be re-arranged to seat a party of 12, 18 or whatever the rule on spacing remains the same so what restaurants may loose on the swings, they are gaining on the roundabout in that there is now space for more 2, 4 or even more seater tables. Again I would not see that as a 50% reduction in capacity.

On the bar area in restaurants. In my experience that has been a holding area until your table is ready. Funnily enough I have now noticed that tables are much more readily free at reservation times than previously. A cynic could be forgiven if they had the thought that those bar areas were as much to do padding out the bill as they were for customer convenience.

Granted the no standing or counter use in bars reduces capacity, but with the change to local authority by-laws, outside space for many has made up for the short fall. Financially haw much of a hit to bars the no standing or counter use is is debatable. Prices appear to have risen to compensate for any actual or perceived loss of capacity. A few floor staff I have spoken to were not put out by the seated service only. They reckon their tips have increased because of it so a bit of silver lining for them at least in that.

• Advertisement

You are not better protected than someone who has recovered and gotten the vaccine however. The data is pretty clear on that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭timmyntc

correlation =/= causation

You might as well say that country music causes covid spread, or institutional racism - there are a million different variables between alabama and here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

We have only ever successfully eradicated Smallpox. No guarantees that we can do the same with Covid.

Now given rates of vaccination and numbers who have had covid we hopefully won’t see huge long term demand for ICU beds due to covid as there should also be better treatment options. We needed more ICU beds pre covid and we still need them now. Many adults and children had major surgery such as heart surgery cancelled because there wasn’t an ICU bed available. Covid only highlights that the HSE and health boards before it have grossly mismanaged the health system for decades.

As world population grows and countries become more interconnected its a matter of when and not if the next pandemic takes place. Lessons must be learnt.

Well the science has shown that masks slow transmission rates so in this case it is both causation and correlation, but ok, show me an example of a country or territory with no mask mandate, an open border, similar population and fewer COVID cases than us

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm not going anywhere with anything, I just find it noteworthy that you are talking about people holding mirrors up to themselves when you yourself won't get the covid vaccine. When you had multiple opportunities to get it north and south and still didn't bother your hole, long before you ever caught the virus itself.

I must assume you are anti-vax, yet you are constantly gaslighting the thread by pettily telling people that things aren't restricted despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Pass remarkable, as they say.

Since we eradicated smallpox in 1980 our understanding of viruses, medicine and science has grown exponentially. I think it's only a matter of time before COVID, and possibly flu, go down the same road

Sweden are reporting 1/4 of our cases per 100k, with no mask mandates?

Thats funny, because the experts you so often defer to seem to think the opposite.

• Advertisement

How about Denmark? Although I believe they have a higher case count.

Which, to me, shows that it's perfectly manageable to give everyone their lives back and not be held back with restrictions.

Advertisement