Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

The trend was on track to worst case model until about a week ago. Now it’s to the mid case. Massive vaccine rollout in the past month. Do people believe it had no impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭circadian

Well, I've had my first dose. Waiting on the second. Wife got her first a few days ago and was hesitant due to clot/stroke issues running in both sides of her family which is understandable.

Now I'm out and about for the first time in a while and the amount of people who aren't even making an effort to distance or not wearing masks is quite jarring.

I can't tell if it's ignorance or selfishness. Like it can still spread, even amongst vaccinated. There are plenty of people who still haven't or can't be vaccinated. It's early doors yet in terms of seeing longer term effectiveness so this blaise approach and general ignorance could easily end up with having another Halloween or Christmas in some form of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

As they likely pump themselves with alcohol and takeaway food a few times a week lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not at all, in fact many were saying the numbers projected were ludicrous exactly because of our vaccine program. Cases have plateaued for the past 3 weeks or so and ICU, hospitalisations and deaths are way below what the "models suggested.

If you've a beef with people thinking the vaccine would have no impact go take it up with those suggesting it, ie. NPHET and their modelling group.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Friends just back from France covid not over,over there, said they’re marching in the streets as they are trying to bring in a passport for shops, services the whole lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Not really once you actually stop and think and see that it's the "where" not the "what".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭prunudo

On the flip side, I was chatting to the owner of a cafe the other day. I was asking her how she was coping with the certs etc. and would she have to ask the same person if they had been in before. She said yes because she was afraid of being fined for not keeping proper records. The poor woman was genuinely more worried about being fined by the covid inspectors than concentrating on running her business. As I said to her, don't be fretting, there's enough to worry about in life than whether she checked a known regular for their covid cert.

So to answer your question, have we lost the plot, absolutely yes, its just a vast amount of people can't see the wood from the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In relation to the live music vs GAA debate. How about a Super Bowl style Half time show at the All Ireland finals this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Reading the guardian today (Available for free on pressreader through the library) would suggest otherwise, not only are the UK newspaper discussing it but they give a view on page 11 of some European countries and the United States. Page 13 is about holidays for brits. And page 20/21 talks about China, NZ and Japan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I thought we were up near 90% of adults vaccinated. If that's the case, you've nothing to worry about. I've had Covid. I'm not getting the vaccine as there's no point now.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Nphets view was give the vaccine time to prevent the modelling scenario. They wanted indoor to remain closed. What we got was a compromise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

On August 3rd 56.97% of our population were fully vaccinated.

My concerns are the continuation of restrictions and the national debt. I'm not sure what type of a country will be left for our children.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So when will the meaning of "Fully vaccinated" change to mean those who have had three jabs instead of two?

All those vulnerable out there, it would be dangerous to consider them safe until they have had their boosters, we need to be cautious here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Are inspectors actually checking places?

I have been in a good few of the local pubs and they aren't bothering with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

According to the CDCs own data (which was leaked by the Washington post), as of May, fully vaccinated people accounted for 9% of hospitalisations and 15% of hospital deaths. This was increasing steadily so no doubt it is higher now. They are straight up lying with their 97% that they keep coming out with. There is no reason to think the US would be drastically different than the UK or Israel when it comes to breakthrough infections.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/cdc-breakthrough-infections/94390e3a-5e45-44a5-ac40-2744e4e25f2e/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There will be a few sacrificial lambs caught for Tony, so nobody actually wants to be the unlucky spot thrown to the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭prunudo

No idea tbh, it was more the fact she was more worried about being caught for some nonsensical box ticking exercise than about other aspects of running a business such as earning a crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If you really cared about children (under 18s) you would argue for no further restrictions based on the number of adults vaccinated at this stage. Remember, not vaccinating children makes no material difference to the hospitalisation numbers for Covid and has 0 difference to their mortality risk. It is only adults being vaccinated that should matter for restrictions and based on the hospitalisations and negligible deaths the last few months notwithstanding 1000+ cases per day, it is impossible to argue in good faith for any mroe restrictions; it is anti-science and, what's worse, a kick in the face to children to continue to deny them a normal life.

Before we even had vaccines, suicide had a mortality rate which was three times higher than that of covid for under 40s. Before vaccines. Mental health of course doesn't matter because old people only care about themselves and covid is not at all a young person's illness. It's a disgrace but unsurprising based on how the older generations treat the younger ones (ie under 40s).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It shows the model is next to useless as it took no or very little account of the impact of the vaccine rollout. A model that takes no account of a significant event which has a direct impact on the actual model outputs, is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

whos the old people or the young ? seems many cant distinguish between muppets in power acting what way they want wind to blow, and in reality theres no young or old, just few muppets at the top that get to pick what rest of us have to do, so allocating blame to particular group is useless, specially now plenty people due to prolonged exposure to these measures that lost their marbles and would take any measures as granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The modelling took vaccination levels into account according to Nolan. They even had to run the model again to take into account the increase in vaccination levels.

I'm glad they got it so wrong. I'm not glad government policy was based on it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,915 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You are required to carry your driving licence with you at all times when driving. Unlike the Covid passport not doing so is punishable by fines and penalty points. Is having to carry a driving licence not "unfreedom" as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

By this logic, why not allow me with my bar to ask patrons to show HIV status before entering? HIV isn't obviously going to cause an issue for people on my premises as it isn't contagious like the way covid is, like how driving a car isn't like spreading covid, but driving a car like having HIV can be used to hurt others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭growleaves

Evening charlie.

No it is not, and the invocation of seatbelt laws and the like show deep confusion about different levels of state intervention and their appropriateness imo.

Yes a state can and must authoritatively discriminate to some extent but if we treat this function as 100% relativistic and absolute then we have no basis on which to say that we are superior to, for instance, North Korea. After all the North Korean government make laws, and these laws are enforced are they not? So no problem right?

There are rights and traditions in the Western world, or used to be. You have or had a certain amount of privacy, freedom and spiritual independence. An internal passport system, like in the Soviet Union or Nazi-conquered countries, falls outside of that. Barring people from transacting business with each other falls outside of that - and without QE allowing governments to detach economic productivity from survival, and bribe pub/restaurant owners with subsidies, they would not be able to dictate terms in this way.

I think it was on this thread, at least it was this forum, where some poster asked 'What right do you have to go to the gym?' That says it all.

Even when we had a colonial government before 1922, it wasn't the case that everything you did was at the pleasure of masters. Most freedom is purely positive: you just can do anything that isn't explicitly illegal. And outside of Communism, and now the QE system, basic business transactions between people were not extraordinary nor interfered with.

'Emergencies', 'crises' are needed to justify these all impositions. QE itself came about because of the last 'crisis', and is the perfect monetary system for financing many more 'crises'. If we discover next year we have a 'climate emergency' of models showing excess CO2 the economic anti-gravity machine of QE will fund a shutdown or total up-ending of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

You'll get some twat "investigate" journalist soon publishing a story where they rat out various places who didn't go over their covid cert in minute detail before serving them. Most likely the same twat that did the same last summer where he managed to get a drink without buying a €9 meal to go with it.

We were in the middle of a pandemic this time last year too and there were no vaccines and we were allowed to dine indoors. So why arent unvaccinated people allowed to dine indoors this year. I tell you why because the cu@ts running the country are trying to force everyone to get the vaccine so they can get back to indoor dining or some sort of normality. Its a persons personal choice if they want to be vaccinated or not. No one should be told what to do. I have been vaccinated and i would have no problem sitting in a pub/restaurant with an unvaccinated person. I know several people who wont take the vaccine due to health reasons. Should these people be discriminated against and told no you cant dine indoors. No they shouldnt be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Last summer we were averaging 10-15 cases a day with less than 10 in hospital in July and about a hundred cases a day towards the end of August. Today's cases were 1491, 193 in hospital and 28 in ICU so it's not exactly comparable

This summer they've scrapped the €9 meal requirement (thank God) in favour of outdoors, they're allowing attendances at matches and concerts and even allowing indoors for vaccinated

We're in a far better position now than 12 months ago

• Advertisement

Even allowing indoors for vaccinated, gosh how very daring of the rulers to allow this.

Indoor dining is back in the UK since May.!!!

Advertisement