Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭ Penfailed

Again, Boris had fúck all to do with it. The north have only binned covid passes today. Were they following us?

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, The Cure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭ timmyntc

Seeing us do it undoubtedly puts the pressure on them, yes.

When they first announced relaxations before ROI, they still said theyd be keeping covid passes for events etc. Has that since changed, or are you just describing their initial announcement now taking effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭ Red Silurian

I think Jackets, as well as trousers, socks, underwear, jumpers, T-Shirts and baby clothes were deemed essential, but in any case Dunnes would sell you anything if you told them it was essential to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,856 ✭✭✭✭ is_that_so

I don't think it was anything like this coherent at the time, just bouts of outrage that Dunnes et al were not following the rules.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭ iguana

A big problem with people in Dunnes buying clothes was in the earliest weeks of restrictions when the numbers of customers allowed in stores was strictly limited. You can't really have a huge queue of people waiting to buy groceries until people inside browsing clothes are finished. People would have come to blows. Especially right at the very start when those who hadn't seen what was coming went into sudden panic.

• Advertisement

They're keeping them for nightclubs and indoor events over 500 people. Great to see us leading the way in relaxing restrictions.

Gigs '21 - Stendhal Festival (July), Stendhal Festival (August), [s]Liam Gallagher & Idles[/s], King Kong Company, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, The Undertones, And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '22 - And So I Watch You From Afar, Teenage Fanclub, Mogwai, Stendhal Festival, Clutch, Kurt Vile & The Violators, The Cure

Yeah, we waited to see the results worldwide...not specifically England.

• Registered Users Posts: 47,515 ✭✭✭✭ km79

Which is fine as it’s his choice

Being told you have to wear one or won’t be served is another story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭ Captain_Crash

Absolutley, his choice…. But wanted to hear that he had to… that’s what’s funny! He’s almost upset that he can walk bare faced to the jacks! Lot of them about! I’d say half the people where I am now are wearing masks when walking about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭ Red Silurian

In fairness, pubs are entitled to run their business as they see fit and at least if you don't like the rules of a particular establishment you can go to another one, until proper closing hours 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭ kirk.

What's the thinking on masks will they be dropped

The most annoying things ever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭ bear1

With the way the numbers are dropping then there won't be much of a justification at the end of Feb. Too early to say though as of now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ mcsean2163

The main poster talks about feeling like crying because he has to go back to the office because restrictions are ending. He's not overjoyed restrictions are ending, he's crying they are ending.

If you don't think that's pro lockdown....

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭ moonage

(Sorry for the multi-quotes.)

I don't think Boris's actions in England had much effect on Ireland's lifting of restrictions.

We're not really a free, independent country that can come to our own decisions. We're part of the EU and it's our masters in Brussels who ultimately call the shots. Most restrictions were lifted here because the EU granted us permission to lift them.

Post edited by moonage on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,727 ✭✭✭ raind

I asked for evidence as to why excess deaths were a multiple of actual globally. You posted a response with a handful of reports of issues that had pretty marginal impacts on overall death rate. Eg An increase of 1700 home deaths in a country with 170,000 Covid deaths, a country that actually was pretty aligned between excess deaths and Covid deaths compared to much of the world. If we had been talking mismatches between Covid and excess deaths in the region of 5-10%, then yes your links would have provided an explanation. But it wasn’t, it was more like 200%, so as I said previously- no evidence then, got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,856 ✭✭✭✭ is_that_so

In the context of COVID, short-term is very understandable and even desirable with potential changes every 2-3 weeks. The housing problem is very complex, despite claims by the Opposition that even more money will do the trick and in a lot of ways goes back to way before any of the current Dail even thought about politics. Slaintecare is long-term, despite currently being stalled, and Reid seemed to have started on a HSE plan before all of this hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭ Nuts102

Right so England were the main drivers of those results and led by Boris.

So your comment that Boris had nothing to do with it is nonsense, based on your own response.

It's not looking good for the masks to go as retailers in UK are keeping them

• Advertisement

The PC war will probably start up now on masks

# do the right thing protect your fellow citizen

The sort of world were living in

Advertisement