Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Luke O Neill will have to move out of RTE now, he had been living there for the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Media stealing all MM's thunder.

I'm hoping he's holding back on leaking the removal of mask requirements to deliver that one himself..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be honest , I'd be ok if people kinda kept with the spacing (not mandatory mind) - It's been nice to be able stand waiting to pay in a shop etc. and not have have some foul-smelling sweaty mouth-breather standing 2 inches from my ear.

If nothing else comes of all of this if more people now understand the basic hygiene benefits and common courtesies of covering their mouths when they cough ,washing their f**king hands and not invading peoples personal spaces then that would be a bloody good thing overall.

The Government want us all to be infected with omicron to boost immunity in case a more serious strain comes along. We can't live like this any longer. We can't stay shut anymore and the best way to open is with a mild variant.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Pleeeeeeease can we close the windows and doors in my classroom now. We're so cold!! The only talk seems to be about hospitality, what about us?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Probably a little bit longer until the Department issues new guidance. Teachers unions might kick off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

There will be a whole lot off bumming going on tomorrow night around the country 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

More seriously, though, I'll say roughly the same as I said last time we were promised restrictions were being lifted:

The onslaught of propaganda over the last two years has been immense. Unlike anything I've seen in my lifetime and unlike anything that's ever taken place in peace time in the West. Propaganda is used because it's effective. Some people may have more resistance to it because they are generally distrustful of authority as a matter of personality, and some may have more resistance to it because they don't consume much legacy news media. But many people have been scared witless through no fault of their own, and the onus was never on them to distrust their government and media and spent inordinate amounts of time reading through reports and studies to try and get at a more accurate picture of the situation—the onus was on the government and media, and they failed and whipped up unnecessary fear.

So be gentle with people who aren't quite ready to party like it's 2019. Don't be an asshole to anyone who's wearing a mask even though they don't strictly have to. Be prepared to take it slowly with your more cautious friends. Be understanding.

Nobody feels anxiety and fear out of choice, so if you're rooting for a return to 2019 behaviours, give the people who aren't quite ready a little time, a little understanding, and a little help.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not been mentioned but that doesn't mean anything. 6pm speech by Martin so you'll see then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

So do you still need to wear a mask going to the toilet in the pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Omicron can't be contained so there's no purpose to restrictions at present, glad to see they've recognised that with an immediate removal rather than a long and pointless phasing out. I'm surprised in that regard.

Who knows what's around the corner with Covid but folks should enjoy the relatively safe times while they're here. Long may they last!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

My curtains on overtime for the last time tonight !

No, of course not.

Martin is set to announce that two masks will be needed; one on the way to the toilet, and a second clean one on your return back to your table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Use the outside of your mask to wipe. its fine to wear so long as you dont touch that side

• Registered Users Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭timmyntc

great news - but the level of leaking to media in advance of an announcement these days is disappointing.

Might aswell livestream cabinet meetings at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

Gonna miss it, only global warming to look forward to now

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Im not concerned about Covid at all tbh, i think our restrictions have been completely over the top n govt have managed to allow nphet n the media to push an agenda, i would like to see all restrictions removed permanently with the option for any business\govt building to use masks if the want. i just dont believe the next relaxing of restrictions will be as quick as it should be or last all that long given what ive seen to date

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I doubt it.. it would make even LESS sense than it already does!

You will be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with friends and randomers in the pub drinking away, but then need to put on a mask to push through the crowd to the toilet?

Just need the mandatory requirement removed generally. If some people want to wear one that's fine but everyone else should equally be free not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

i think we all know his supporters dont work

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Hopefully all those horrible yellow social distance stickers will be removed asap from shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I emigrated a few months ago (and in the midst of omicron wave here). I haven’t been homesick at all but right now I really really want to be there :-( the sense of excitement is something else. Enjoy your weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Woohoo!! Great news today coming in all round. What an awful two years.

There must be an investigation into the response and particularly the adoption of blanket approaches not taking into account age, health status, risk factors and others as time went on. This was not unique to Ireland and was a worldwide Western World response. Covid will be back in the Autumn and some minor mitigation measures may be needed. However really it should be treated as many other seasonal viruses from this point onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Good game everyone, it’s been a pleasure posting alongside you all over the last two years. We have got through the most difficult hardship globally since WWII. Whether you were in favour of government policy, worldwide response or general values and attitudes, or if it was enough to drive you to the brink of exasperation and despair, you have made it through. Well done. Be proud of yourself today and the society around you. Hopefully this will be the end and the next variant of concern will replicate the ending of the influenza, hopefully there won’t be any more pandemics in our lifetime but who knows.

Regardless of where we stand ideologically, we all made it through. In the words of Fitzgerald, “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

I hope we will all be a bit more kinder and understanding of each other going forward.

Special shout out to @is_that_so who was my main reference for anything covid related.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭celt262

Ole ole ole ole..

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

And work, and the airports, and everywhere else for that matter.

Be interesting to see if shops try to maintain the current requirements as a condition of entry to pander to the worriers, or if factories continue to enforce social distancing, masks, staggered breaks, covid screens on tables.

Hurrah everyone! A wonderful moment is just fifty five minutes away. I seem to be breathing easier under this mask now we are fully back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Shops certainly won't, I can see the screens staying though as they'll protection against colds/flu/ smelly breath

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yeah.. I'd tend to agree - Shops etc. have spent money on getting those things fitted and won't just want to rip them down.

Like you say they are a general hygiene benefit and also provide some small level of increased security for the staff - Arseholes can't easily throw things (or punches) when those things are in place.

Staff might be happy to keep them.

Advertisement