Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bad areas of Dublin for buying a house

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Beaumont is still good value, I just don't like it myself due to the drab " village " ,it's very safe

What village are you referring to in Beaumont? Is it the cross-roads at the Beaumont house or the string of small shops and takeaways on the left as you drive towards Santry?

Just never heard of Beaumont having a village. Always thought that was kind of understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

riclad wrote: »
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin/house-for-sale-in-dublin-15?maxprice=375000

i think you could buy a 3 bed house in clonsilla dublin 15,
    just make sure its in a private estate,
    not owned by the council.

I'd second this, from what I'm told the estates south of the Ongar distribution road are fairly quiet (Mount Symon, Charnwood, Allendale, Castlecourt, Portersgate etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

riclad wrote: »
    You should be aiming to buy a house near work, within 2 to 3 miles, if you buy a terraced house you have only on street parking,
    Even in the city centre some houses have a small front garden with space for parking 1 or 2 cars
    I d be happy to buy in a private estate in blanchardstown or Castle knock dublin 15
    As long as its not close to a council estate

What's wrong with council estates.

Are you discriminating?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

TefalBrain wrote: »
    What's wrong with council estates.

Are you discriminating?

Name one private estate that has the social issues of Jobstown or Darndale.

I live on an ex corpo estate and the vast majority of people are lovely as I'm sure are the majority of people living in Jobstown or Darndale but lets try and stay in touch with reality here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hamachi wrote: »
    What village are you referring to in Beaumont? Is it the cross-roads at the Beaumont house or the string of small shops and takeaways on the left as you drive towards Santry?

Just never heard of Beaumont having a village. Always thought that was kind of understood.

thats why i used quotes

i dont like the area where there is a few businesses , fast food joint , centra etc , find it quite drab and in need of improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Bought in Santry about 7 years ago after being priced out of Drumcondra/Glasnevin. Fantastic area with a fantastic community. Walking distance to some really nice parks and decent public transport links. Some very minor petty crime (Just keep your car locked and you'll be fine) in the area on occasion but that's a problem everywhere in Dublin. Both blow ins but very happy here. I'm not sure you will get much here on that budget any more though. Watch out for houses advertised as Santry which are very much ballymun. Have friends in Beaumont and it's also a nice, settled area but prices have also crept up there. Houses that back on to coolock have had issues lately

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Caranica wrote: »
    To clarify, that's Corduff IN Blanchardstown, not representative of the whole of Blanchardstown.

The Eastern coastal areas being almost devoid of social housing is utter BS too, plenty in Irishtown, Ringsend, and all the way down to and including Dun Laoghaire, Shankill.

Sallynoggin, Ballybrack etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

anndub wrote: »
    Bought in Santry about 7 years ago after being priced out of Drumcondra/Glasnevin. Fantastic area with a fantastic community. Walking distance to some really nice parks and decent public transport links. Some very minor petty crime (Just keep your car locked and you'll be fine) in the area on occasion but that's a problem everywhere in Dublin. Both blow ins but very happy here. I'm not sure you will get much here on that budget any more though. Watch out for houses advertised as Santry which are very much ballymun. Have friends in Beaumont and it's also a nice, settled area but prices have also crept up there. Houses that back on to coolock have had issues lately

I spent much of my childhood in Santry and even back then Ballymun was pretty much only the Towers. It was basically Santry to the Towers and then Finglas immediately afterwards. It must have been the smallest part of Dublin there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

All the towers were knocked down years ago,
    Ballymun now consists of houses plus modern apartment blocks built about 12 years ago.
    Since the poster is a non national I'd recommend buying on a private estate
    There are council estates that are quiet and quite safe to buy but there are some that have some antisocial behavior
    At this point 95 per cent of council houses are owned by ex
    Council tenants
    I have friends who live in council estates
    Every area has subtle differences
    You d be better off posting links from daft ie
    Eg is this a good area to buy in
    Estate x etc
    As in most city's prices vary eg when you buy a house you a buying to live in the area close to shops luas supermarkets
    Middle class areas are always more expensive to buy in
    than working class areas
    As they tend to be more quiet sought after also close to schools
    Eg if I see a house priced at 400k it's very likely in a middle class area
    I think santry Beaumont is out of your price range
    unless you buy an apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

This is like another thread that got closed with a non-national commenting on run down areas of Dublin while wanting to purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Use to live close to Beaumont years ago. Not a bad spot. Is the Beaumont Drive In still on the go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Great post and very true. In somewhere like Walkinstown, consider the massive difference between Cromwellsfort Road and say Walkinstown Park, which can be only ten minutes or less on foot away.
    Which road is the nice road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭tigger123

GingerLily wrote: »

Houses on Cromwellsfort Road would typically sell for more when compared to houses in Walkinstown Park.

With the way house prices are going these days, everyone is buying what they can afford. The pickiness around areas is largely redundant. If you want to stay in Dublin you just buy what you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

munster87 wrote: »
    Use to live close to Beaumont years ago. Not a bad spot. Is the Beaumont Drive In still on the go?

Heard from someone working in Beaumont hospital that there was a planning application for 100 apartments on the site of the drive-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

GingerLily wrote: »

I might offend some of my childhood friends but I would say anywhere east of Walkinstown Rd (if its named after a poet, you're generally fine) would be grand, then just south of Cromwellsfort would verge onto nice. Both named roads themselves have some really nice old houses but they are busy main roads so would put me off.

theteal wrote: »
    I might offend some of my childhood friends but I would say anywhere east of Walkinstown Rd (if its named after a poet, you're generally fine) would be grand, then just south of Cromwellsfort would verge onto nice. Both named roads themselves have some really nice old houses but they are busy main roads so would put me off.

Cherryfield / Beechfield: a poor man's Perrystown :D

There's a reason the house in ballymun is half the price of a similar house in swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

There's a reason the house in ballymun is half the price of a similar house in swords.

Because of a social stigma from events that happened a few decades ago? At what stage does that Stigma wear off?

We forgive/forget the white collar crime of the likes of Anglo and the bankers who lives in middle/upper class areas, or we never hear about the drugs in other areas (unless the deaths), because the families have the money to pay off their kids debts or stop the news spreading etc.

There are many people living in Ballymun today, but they will say it's Glasnevin North, because some people won't buy a house or live in the area if it's Ballymun.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Because of a social stigma from events that happened a few decades ago? At what stage does that Stigma wear off?

We forgive/forget the white collar crime of the likes of Anglo and the bankers who lives in middle/upper class areas, or we never hear about the drugs in other areas (unless the deaths), because the families have the money to pay off their kids debts or stop the news spreading etc.

There are many people living in Ballymun today, but they will say it's Glasnevin North, because some people won't buy a house or live in the area if it's Ballymun.

Waffle.

Ballymun remains a tip because the scumbags who live there treat it like a tip. Poppintree, coultry, whiteacre, shanowen, shangan......

The op stated in the opening post "poppintree" and poppintree is a god damn ****hole.

The link previously, the house for 199 is not priced like that because of old opinions, you can saved that rubbish. It's priced like that because it is not a nice area surrounded by not nice areas with a bunch of junkies, dealers, petty criminals and scumbags treating it like a toilet.

I feel sorry for the good people in the area, which of course exist but that doesn't mean that we should falsely suggest to the op that they should buy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Ballymun is unusual in that it's mostly composed of 3 storey apartment blocks, with some houses,
    and some private apartments
    Dublin City Council will not sell apartment block units for various reasons, insurance, maintenance etc
    They already sold ex council houses to anyone who wished to buy one
    Ballymun is a working class area,
    With 1000s of council tenants
    Of course it is cheaper to buy there than say Beaumont
    Where there are no local authority housing units

There's always been price differences between working class areas middle class areas and areas like Dublin 6

Theres not much chance of the council building social housing in dublin 6
    There's very few empty sites left to build on
    Land is very expensive it would make no sense to build social housing there

Of course crime is more prevalent where there's lots of young people on low incomes in working class areas
    Versus Dublin 6 where most of the property is privately owned and the average income is 40k plus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Cherryfield / Beechfield: a poor man's Perrystown :D

Is Perrystown supposed to be nicer? I played soccer for Manortown in my formative years and never really thought any more highly of the area - in saying that, I never thought of it as actually being outside of Walkinstown.

Anyway, diverging from the OP, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dr.dundrum

I hope this is not against the forum rules but I want to ask where did the OP bought their home?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Use the small area pobal maps for depravation as well as the deliveroo no-go maps. These give a strong indication about how settled an area is

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

My 2 cents on the subject;

Grew up in and Parents live in what you would call a "bad area", drug dealing, anti-social behaviour, gangs of teens, fly tipping (it's absolutely insane to me that people will just throw their rubbish out onto the street, piles of black bags, old furniture, mattresses), but the avenue within their estate the house is on is quiet, so all good right? the next avenue up there is a literal trap house, youngfellas in moncler/canada goose jackets coming and going all day, scramblers flying up and down all day and night.

The next avenue down a family was terrorized because one evening a gang of about 20 teens decided to just hang out outside raising a racket, playing loud music etc and when the couple went out to them asking them to move on they were assaulted and had their sitting room window put in the next night.

But my parents house, if it went up for sale and you drove by it at night, would probably be nice and quiet for the most part, so we'd be in the "I'm from the area and it's quiet, don't tar the place with one brush etc." crowd.

If you Don't have friends/relatives in the following areas:

Tryellstown, Corduff, Finglas, Darndale, Cabra, Jobstown, Ballymun, East Wall, Ballyfermot, Artane, Donneycarney, Poppintree, Crumlin, Drimnagh, do not buy a house in those areas, there's other areas I can't think off the top of my head but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,584 ✭✭✭billyhead

Artane. A bit overdramatic don't you think. Most of Artane is fine. You get scroates everywhere but I wouldn't advise people to turn there noses up to living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭herbalplants

The same here. I laughed my head off at his comment on Artane.

Living the life

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Old thread bounced for no good reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement