Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bad areas of Dublin for buying a house

Options
  • 27-06-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello. I'm looking to buy a house in the following months in Dublin.. at least try.
    Since I'm not from Ireland and only been here for a few years, I don't know the areas very well. I do suspect there's a connection between prices and the level of civilization of the area.
    I would like to buy a 3br, 2bath house/apartment up to a max of 400k and up to C3 BER standard.
    This excludes most of the south of Dublin. However there are areas I haven't visited yet but I'm taking into consideration.
    So maybe you guys can tell me from a scale of 0 (very rough) to 10 (very good) what do you think about the following areas:

Malahide/Belmayne, Clongriffin, Beaumont, Santry, Poppintree, Blanchardstown, Lucan, Ballyfermot, Walkinston, Clondalkin, Tallagh, Citywest/Saggart, Ballycullen
    Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

Cristianc wrote: »
    Hello. I'm looking to buy a house in the following months in Dublin.. at least try.
    Since I'm not from Ireland and only been here for a few years, I don't know the areas very well. I do suspect there's a connection between prices and the level of civilization of the area.
    I would like to buy a 3br, 2bath house/apartment up to a max of 400k and up to C3 BER standard.
    This excludes most of the south of Dublin. However there are areas I haven't visited yet but I'm taking into consideration.
    So maybe you guys can tell me from a scale of 0 (very rough) to 10 (very good) what do you think about the following areas:

Malahide/Belmayne, Clongriffin, Beaumont, Santry, Poppintree, Blanchardstown, Lucan, Ballyfermot, Walkinston, Clondalkin, Tallagh, Citywest/Saggart, Ballycullen

Just to give you an FYI, people don't take too kindly to using the phrase, "civilised" in regards to areas. I am assuming English is your second language?

There may be places with higher crime rates, lower socio-economic levels etc.

But you can rest assured, Ireland and Dublin is quite civilised, regardless of what some people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Some of the areas you are asking questions about are huge so one part of it would be nice and another rough.

I am not going to score areas for you based on my preconceptions. You need to go to the areas and have a look around and decide for yourself.

Also the expression civilised? It's really not appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A chat with a local police office(Garda) will give you a clearer idea of what's happening. BUT visiting each area at different times of day and week as well as keeping your eyes open will tell you most things you need to know.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Malahide: 8.5
    Clongriffin: 4
    Beaumont: 4
    Santry: 5
    Poppintree: 2
    Blanchardstown: 2.5
    Lucan: 7
    Ballyfermot: 2
    Walkinston: 6
    Clondalkin: 1
    Tallaght: 1.5
    Citywest/Saggart: 4
    Ballycullen: Not sure where this is

Pretty sure you don't know any of those areas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Those English speakers can't undertand that for "civilized" the OP mean "developed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,077 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Malahide: 8

Tallaght is massive with private estate and very settled areas . You cant rate the while of Tallght the same

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mynydd2

Beaumont would be my preference, very quiet mature area, good schools, but mostly hold houses so may require renovating also to get that second bathroom. Clongriffin and belmayne would be newer houses, second bathrooms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

All I'll say is avoid an apartment if you possibly can. IMHO we don't build them well, and Irish culture is very individualistic - we don't do communal spaces well.

400K is not going to get you into a top area in Dublin, you'll be looking at some compromises on the area.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Tallaght is massive with private estate and very settled areas . You cant rate the while of Tallght the same

TBH Malahide has it's trouble spots as well.

• Advertisement

All areas do in fairness . Parts of Clondalkin are very settled and parts not so much too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

Oddly enough I have an awful experience of Walkinstown but a good experience of Tallaght. Goes to show how pointless it is ranking huge areas out of 10.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Pretty sure you don't know any of those areas!

lived in many of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

All I'll say is avoid an apartment if you possibly can. IMHO we don't build them well, and Irish culture is very individualistic - we don't do communal spaces well.

400K is not going to get you into a top area in Dublin, you'll be looking at some compromises on the area.

This is slightly outdated I think.
    We didn't used to build apartments well but since about 2006 the apartments built have been to a much higher standard and importantly much bigger and more long term livable.

Places like Clongriffin/Adamstown and new blocks around Blanchardstown/Dublin 15 have some great apartments.

All areas in Tallaght ? All areas in Clondalkin ? Obviously not if you rate them all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Even though I think this thread is a windup I’ll ask more questions of the OP.

Where in Dublin is the job?
    Just you or partner & family?
    Do you drive or will you be dependent on public transport?
    I would rent in area for few months before buying to get feel of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You don't need anyone to tell you. Just follow the prices.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    All areas in Tallaght ? All areas in Clondalkin ? Obviously not if you rate them all the same

my reply was in jest. just messing.

everything is subjective so its impossible to give a rating like this.

Hard to believe going by your ratings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Think I came across this tip on Boards before.

Take the name of a road or area. Put it into google with + court or + charged and that'll give you some idea of the kind of area you're looking at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just to give you an FYI, people don't take too kindly to using the phrase, "civilised" in regards to areas. I am assuming English is your second language?

There may be places with higher crime rates, lower socio-economic levels etc.

But you can rest assured, Ireland and Dublin is quite civilised, regardless of what some people think.

He wants to know what areas the skangers are in so he can avoid them, every county has them including mine so no need to get up on your high horse over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe it's better to ask about good areas. It tends to not get people's backs up so much.

This is slightly outdated I think.
    We didn't used to build apartments well but since about 2006 the apartments built have been to a much higher standard and importantly much bigger and more long term livable.

Places like Clongriffin/Adamstown and new blocks around Blanchardstown/Dublin 15 have some great apartments.

It's not the physical building standards its the amenities and associated infrastructure. Clongriffin is alright but the DARTs are once every 20 minutes for them and Dublin 15 is even less frequent. Parks and green spaces tend not to be used well. All that's debatable I suppose and my impatience for Public Transport may not be replicated by others.

However I stand by what I say about people. We just don't do community well. Ah sure I'm only leaving my bike in the corridor over night. Ah sure its a Saturday why not have a party? Ah sure the management fee and any sort of attendance of OMC meetings is well down on the list. I would much rather have my own space that I can control to a better degree. A bad neighbour is bad enough on an estate, it's a bloody nightmare in an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

From what I've seen you can get some solid area's for 400K in Lucan and Clonsilla. Looking at Clonsilla, the estates south of the Ongar distribution road are seen as quieter than north (from what I've been told) and there are a lot of houses that are on sale or have sold for 400K. There's even the odd 400K place on sale in places like Carpenterstown and Glasnevin. It can be a bit over whelming when looking at daft for houses within your budget but sometimes it's encouraging to see what's on sale and where.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What you're asking for is impossible. You're asking about areas with close to a million people living in them in total. Among those people you have good people and bad people, good houses and bad houses, good schools and bad schools etc etc

I could rank parts of those areas as 1 and parts as 10, that's how ridiculous what you're asking for is.

Do your own research, drive around the areas, talk to shopkeepers and residents, Google for news reports, look at plans for infrastructure in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cristianc

Indeed, English is not my native language. By civilised I mean normally developed socially/culturally - so there would be a low risk of getting attacked by gangs of teenagers, homeless people or neighbors using drugs and in poor financial situation. I do know not all of the people in an area are like this but it's enough to make an area "rough". For example I've heard Darndale is like this and although I haven't seen the violence, I saw the houses looked depressed(old and cheap at the time) and there's also a lot of trash lying around - and this speaks about the residents.

We're a couple, we live around Sandyford now, which looks nice. It is also way too expensive to buy. Workplace will change in years, so buying a house close the current one doesn't make sense. Probably the west makes it easiest to reach anywhere, north or south of Dublin.

What I'm asking basically is which of the areas mentioned you would move to?
    Malahide/Belmayne looks nice to me - newer apartments/houses, parks, families with children. I'm concerned about the social housing being built there.

Concerns come from the fact that in my country's capital a bad area has nothing to do with violence (almost nonexistant) but more with traffic/bad roads/lack of good transport/lack of green areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Where?

Wasnt it in the news recently with gang of youths fighting in the village.

Lots of news reports recently of incidents involving teens in Malahide.

But sure its happening everywhere. No area is immune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

But sure its happening everywhere. No area is immune.

Which is precisely why this thread is pointless!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement