Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bad areas of Dublin for buying a house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cristianc wrote: »

This is a nice area but beware that ad is incorrect in terms of parking. Seller/ad is misleading as I know for a fact that parking is unallocated in Aran Court, and only 4 beds in Waterville are entitled to two spaces. Ad suggests you can park two cars outside the front door

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/terraced-house-42-griffith-parade-finglas-east-d11akn5-finglas-dublin-11/2891849

These houses are worth a punt really, there are 2-3 of these on sale at the moment and are in a good part of Finglas. Close by is Griffith Avenue, Drumcondra & the city centre & airport are within easy reach. The houses are spacious too with large back gardens. The location is reasonably quite, I lived here for 1.5 years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Apartments have noise problems,
    eg you have people above you ,to the right ,left, behind you,
    if one tenant is noisey , partys, loud music, pets it can be very annoying.
    people on this forum sometimes complain about inferior levels of sound insultion in apartment buildings.
    my advice buy a house ,you can afford it,
    avoid apartments all together.
    also apartments =1000 euro at least management fees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There's a fine balance here and to be honest, between a bad house in a good area and a good house in a not so good area I'd go for the good house

I’d be inclined to disagree. The best bit of advice I ever got before buying my house was that you can change absolutely anything……. Except the location

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cristianc

One thing more perhaps you could shed some light, from your impressions. How are Tallaght/Citywest, Clondalkin, Lucan and Blanchardstown different? In every terms including safety.

We're from Eastern Europe with quite fair skin, blue eyes, blonde hair. And tbh I haven't heard of eastern europeans being attacked in Dublin, mostly I've heard about Spanish, Italians or black people.

I agree with what you said, Captain Crash. But I wouldn't be happy to live in a very degraded house in Dundrum, having spent all money to buy it and now my confort is affecting me.

• Advertisement

Tallaght is a large area, it has some large council estates.basically working class area.4 out of 10 .
    lucan 5 long way from city centre.middle class area.
    clondalkin 5 out of 10. not a middle class area.
    my friend bought house in blanchardstown .
    sold it for 250k 3 years ago moved in with his girlfriend.
    he would have been happy to stay there for another 5 years.
    he was happy there , lived in quiet private estate.
    blanchardstown is a mix of quiet estates ,but has some rough council local authority housing estates.
    citywest is ok, mostly built in the last 12 years .6 out of ten.
    dublin is a large city , there are rough area,s.there are quiet area,s,
    there are upper class posh area, eg dublin 4 ,6.
    as i said a 1bed apartment in dublin 6 would be more expensive than a 3 bed house in
    tallaght.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-s-north-inner-city-has-highest-crime-rate-in-the-state-1.4036601

i think 15-20 per cent of the population in dublin is non national .
    some people are racist about non white people.
    dublin is like any city ,use common sense,
    dont leave valuable items in parked cars.

prices vary by area,
    high status middle class area,s =higher prices ,
    working class area,s =lower house prices .
    theres no such thing as a zero crime area.
    i,d prefer to buy a house in mediocre condition in a good area
    than say buy a house in a bad area thats in perfect condition
    avoid area,s less than 5 out of 10.

they only foreign people i hear of being attacked is brazilians,
    the ones who delivery food on bikes 24,7

riclad wrote: »
    Apartments have noise problems,
    eg you have people above you ,to the right ,left, behind you,
    if one tenant is noisey , partys, loud music, pets it can be very annoying.
    people on this forum sometimes complain about inferior levels of sound insultion in apartment buildings.
    my advice buy a house ,you can afford it,
    avoid apartments all together.
    also apartments =1000 euro at least management fees

Ever hear of terraced house? Even a semi detached house can have noise issues. Generalisations are not helpful. You're also incorrect re management fees!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Caranica wrote: »
    Ever hear of terraced house? Even a semi detached house can have noise issues. Generalisations are not helpful. You're also incorrect re management fees!

Even in a detached house, a bit of a air isn't going to do much if you have really loud or obnoxious neighbours. The entire thing just comes down to who you end up near, not the type of property you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

One thing more perhaps you could shed some light, from your impressions. How are Tallaght/Citywest, Clondalkin, Lucan and Blanchardstown different? In every terms including safety.

All those areas are way too big to simply compare and pass a judgement on them in a single few sentences. In all of those areas there are parts of them that have anti social problems and also parts of them that are very nice and settled and the higher house prices will reflect this.

I think if you want opinions on specific areas then post up Daft links of houses that interest you and are in budget and then people can advise. There is no point in asking 'is Lucan/Blanch/Tallaght ok' because they are such big areas they have a big cross section of society living in them. In all those areas you could end up living next door to a gangland criminal but equally you could be living next to a multi millionaire, thats how much variety is out there. Without street names/names of housing estates no one here can truly advise on what those suburbs are like. All of them have great places to live and all of them have places you need to avoid.

You also havent said where and how you are commuting for work. That can be a big factor too when buying a house.

I think Lucan citywest are bland middle class areas 7 out of 10
    Tallaght is very large there are probably quiet older estates that are quiet safe
    But you do not want to buy close to any large local authority Council estate
    Whether its tallaght or clondakin
    Maybe post links to daft. Ie,
    House for sale x area x
    Is it a good idea to buy here
    Swords is a good middle class area 7 out of 10
    But no luas only bus service
    Tallaght has luas service

• Advertisement

You should be aiming to buy a house near work, within 2 to 3 miles, if you buy a terraced house you have only on street parking,
    Even in the city centre some houses have a small front garden with space for parking 1 or 2 cars
    I d be happy to buy in a private estate in blanchardstown or Castle knock dublin 15
    As long as its not close to a council estate

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cristianc

And how do you tell it's a private estate or a council estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

You should be aiming to buy a house near work, within 2 to 3 miles, if you buy a terraced house you have only on street parking,
    Even in the city centre some houses have a small front garden with space for parking 1 or 2 cars
    I d be happy to buy in a private estate in blanchardstown or Castle knock dublin 15

Some awful rubbish being posted on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

This isn't remotely true. I've viewed numerous terraced houses with private parking in just the past week.

I lived in Beaumont and have only good things to say about the area. Nice people, supermarkets, good schools, good transport links, close to town and never seen any of the people from the less civilised neighbouring areas lurking about;)

I lived in santry nice quiet area, with large shopping center
    Beaumont is a good place to buy middle class atea

Ballymun is basically all built as council local authority housing
    If you are thinking of buying house in tallaght google the estate name or ask here is this a council housing estate
    At this point 95 per cent of council houses are now owned by ex tenants
    Eg after a few years council tenants can offer to buy the house from the council
    There are still council blocks, apartments owned by the council dublin City council

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

whatnow! wrote: »
    I lived in Beaumont and have only good things to say about the area. Nice people, supermarkets, good schools, good transport links, close to town and never seen any of the people from the less civilised neighbouring areas lurking about;)

Beaumont itself doesnt have a supermarket , you have to go to Santry , granted its not too far

Beaumont " village " itself is starved of anything approaching a grocery store or cafe , its a kip

Santry shopping center is a few minutes drive from beaumont, beaumont is a quiet middle class area .8 out of 10.
    i would be happy to buy a house there if i could afford it.
    Many of the houses there have front and back gardens ,
    plenty of space to park a car .

Santry shopping center is a few minutes drive from beaumont, beaumont is a quiet middle class area .8 out of 10.
    i would be happy to buy a house there if i could afford it.
    Many of the houses there have front and back gardens ,
    plenty of space to park a car .

its a lower middle class area although slightly more desirable than Santry , its considerably less desirable than the likes of Raheny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Beaumont itself doesnt have a supermarket , you have to go to Santry , granted its not too far

Beaumont " village " itself is starved of anything approaching a grocery store or cafe , its a kip

Beaumont is nowhere near a kip, its a pretty decent area. Artane castle is up the road as well if a large shop is needed. Semi D house prices are easily north of 400K, some are 450K+.

I bought in Clondalkin a 10 min walk from the village a few years back and it's one of the best things I ever did. Clondalkin village is lovely, great cafes, good pubs, bakeries, takeaways etc. 5 min walk to the Red Cow Luas (although I avoid that if possible), close to lots of road networks etc and in fact I think Monastery estate itself is one of the nicest estates in Dublin and has won awards. But a lot of people rule it out as it's Clondalkin, even though the rougher parts of Clondalkin are far enough away so as not to have to be concerned by them

I think as far as the ratio of prices to amenities to anti social behaviour it must be fairly good shout.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-s-true-social-divide-is-revealed-by-housing-map-1.3556676

The maps also reveal a huge disparity in the distribution of social housing. Eastern coastal areas are almost devoid of social housing, while there are evenly spread concentrations in the city centre and then large blocks in the west. Clondalkin has 88 per cent social housing, Jobstown 83-89 per cent and Corduff/Blanchardstown 78 per cent.

Households with two or more family units – usually signifying overcrowding – are prevalent in parts of Darndale, Ballymun, Finglas, Ballyfermot and Jobstown where they account for 9 per cent or more of all households. In Dalkey, Windy Arbour, Ranelagh and Raheny, such households account for less than 0.5 per cent of all households.

https://www.myhome.ie/recent/dublin-9/santry

santry is probably out of your price range

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin/house-for-sale-in-dublin-15?maxprice=375000

i think you could buy a 3 bed house in clonsilla dublin 15,
    just make sure its in a private estate,
    not owned by the council.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Beaumont is nowhere near a kip, its a pretty decent area. Artane castle is up the road as well if a large shop is needed. Semi D house prices are easily north of 400K, some are 450K+.

I didnt say Beaumont was a kip , its not a kip , I said Beaumont village ( or the bit around the filling station ) offers nothing whatsoever in terms of cafes etc , its an ugly uninteresting commercial area and a kip in so far as it hasnt changed at all in years

the Beaumont house is fine but its not a cafe or remotely inviting

I bought in Clondalkin a 10 min walk from the village a few years back and it's one of the best things I ever did. Clondalkin village is lovely, great cafes, good pubs, bakeries, takeaways etc. 5 min walk to the Red Cow Luas (although I avoid that if possible), close to lots of road networks etc and in fact I think Monastery estate itself is one of the nicest estates in Dublin and has won awards. But a lot of people rule it out as it's Clondalkin, even though the rougher parts of Clondalkin are far enough away so as not to have to be concerned by them

I think as far as the ratio of prices to amenities to anti social behaviour it must be fairly good shout.

ive relatives in floraville lawns Clondalkin , quite a nice estate

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-s-true-social-divide-is-revealed-by-housing-map-1.3556676

The maps also reveal a huge disparity in the distribution of social housing. Eastern coastal areas are almost devoid of social housing, while there are evenly spread concentrations in the city centre and then large blocks in the west. Clondalkin has 88 per cent social housing, Jobstown 83-89 per cent and Corduff/Blanchardstown 78 per cent.

To clarify, that's Corduff IN Blanchardstown, not representative of the whole of Blanchardstown.

The Eastern coastal areas being almost devoid of social housing is utter BS too, plenty in Irishtown, Ringsend, and all the way down to and including Dun Laoghaire, Shankill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I didnt say Beaumont was a kip , its not a kip , I said Beaumont village ( or the bit around the filling station ) offers nothing whatsoever in terms of cafes etc , its an ugly uninteresting commercial area and a kip in so far as it hasnt changed at all in years

the Beaumont house is fine but its not a cafe or remotely inviting

Havent had reason to be in Beaumont village in about 5 or 6 years but Im surprised to hear it doesnt yet have a cafe, like even small villages in rural Ireland with populations of under 2,000 people have cafes at this point.

Last time I was there we had lunch in the Beaumont House, 14.50 for a carvery and there was barely 10 other people eating there at peak lunch time, dead as a dodo.

I agree the shops in the village are a bit kippy, theres not much there except for several take aways, a bookies and a chemist. A proper coffee shop there serving good food would do well.

Though as others have said Beaumont is dead and boring but that is actually a good thing. Plus houses there tend to have really good sized gardens. Only downside might be living near the hospital and hearing sirens quite a bit. But with the right house on a good street Beaumont is a solid option for any first time buyer.

There's plenty of houses in blanchardstown that are in private estates , clonsilla etc
    Corduff is just one part of blanchardstown
    Houses there mostly have front and back gardens
    Look on a map you, ll see various places in blanch
    Eg whitestown, clonsilla roselawn
    Blanchardstown has a large shopping centre
    With free parking

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Havent had reason to be in Beaumont village in about 5 or 6 years but Im surprised to hear it doesnt yet have a cafe, like even small villages in rural Ireland with populations of under 2,000 people have cafes at this point.

Last time I was there we had lunch in the Beaumont House, 14.50 for a carvery and there was barely 10 other people eating there at peak lunch time, dead as a dodo.

I agree the shops in the village are a bit kippy, theres not much there except for several take aways, a bookies and a chemist. A proper coffee shop there serving good food would do well.

Though as others have said Beaumont is dead and boring but that is actually a good thing. Plus houses there tend to have really good sized gardens. Only downside might be living near the hospital and hearing sirens quite a bit. But with the right house on a good street Beaumont is a solid option for any first time buyer.

Beaumont is still good value, I just don't like it myself due to the drab " village " ,it's very safe

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement