Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bad areas of Dublin for buying a house

Options

Comments

Beaumont and Santry are lovely. But bidding wars are pushing any half decent 3 bid north of 375. You might get something on the outskirts of santry. And you certainly won’t get much with a better energy rating of C3

(All this applies to houses - not apartments)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I think the OP would be better off finding examples of houses in these areas to get somewhat of an "accurate" response. Some of the areas quoted are massive with a massive swing of quality within. Even Walkinstown (where I'm from) is not that big if you discount the industrial parts but there are parts I would happily buy in and others I wouldn't be keen on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Murt10 wrote: »
    Think I came across this tip on Boards before.

Take the name of a road or area. Put it into google with + court or + charged and that'll give you some idea of the kind of area you're looking at

Killiney avoid terrible place.

www.irishtimes.com/news/father-who-battered-his-son-to-death-found-guilty-but-insane-1.471685%3fmode=amp[/url]

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29650357.amp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 cluelessbuyer9

Living in Dublin the past 36 years, here is my scores:

Malahide: 9
    Clongriffin: 6
    Beaumont: 8
    Santry: 7
    Poppintree: 3
    Blanchardstown: 5
    Lucan: 3
    Ballyfermot: 2
    Walkinston: 5
    Clondalkin: 5
    Tallaght: 5
    Citywest/Saggart: 2
    Ballycullen: 3

Malahide would be my top choice followed by Beumont. I know Clondalkin and Lucan very well, i'd avoid both areas like the plague with the exception of Clondalkin village. Similar goes for Blanch and Tallaght, only desirable areas in Blanch are near the village bordering Castleknock. Some ok private areas in Tallaght but it is very isolated compared to the majority on this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,622 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Living in Dublin the past 36 years, here is my scores:...

Some of that is so inaccurate to be meaningless.

I didn't realize the entirety of Lucan is now one of the least desirable places in Dublin to live for example.

• Advertisement

Das Reich wrote: »
    Those English speakers can't undertand that for "civilized" the OP mean "developed"?

He probably means safe. Perfectly reasonable

theteal wrote: »
    I ...Some of the areas quoted are massive with a massive swing of quality within. ..

So very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Flinty997 wrote: »
    So very true.

Precisely, people are slating large areas based on tiny subsets or patches. It's pointless, inaccurate and misrepresentative. I disagree hugely with the rankings on this thread given to areas I've lived in. But at this stage I'm happy enough to let the OP be deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Some of that is so inaccurate to be meaningless.

I didn't realize the entirety of Lucan is now one of the least desirable places in Dublin to live for example.

North Dublin scored well with him! South, not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Avoid North Dublin and avoid South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Cristianc

Caranica wrote: »
    Which is precisely why this thread is pointless!

I wouldn't say so. Obviously Malahide/Belmayne cannot be the same as Darndale - in terms of risk of walking during the night or letting your child play. Or when it comes to how houses look. Is that right?
    That's why I asked in the beginning to rate the areas. Lower frequency/reputation of criminal activity/social unrest and low quality housing = low score. Yes, of course bad stuff can happen anywhere, but chances are not the same everywhere I guess.

Malahide would be my top choice followed by Beumont. I know Clondalkin and Lucan very well, i'd avoid both areas like the plague with the exception of Clondalkin village. Similar goes for Blanch and Tallaght, only desirable areas in Blanch are near the village bordering Castleknock. Some ok private areas in Tallaght but it is very isolated compared to the majority on this list.

Thank you so much.
    I like the area of Malahide with Belmayne, close to Fingal cemetery. But I saw they're building lots of social apartments in several buildings on Malahide road there. Would that be a problem in the future?
    Also, regarding Lucan, why is it bad in your opinion? I've heard several people saying it woulf be very nice to live there. Compared to Saggart/Citywest or Blanchardstown.
    Saggart came to my mind because it has the Luas, a significant advantage maybe?

Very big difference between Malahide and Malahide Road. The Malahide road parts near belmayne and Fingal cemetery are far far removed from Malahide.

They are nice areas but they’re certainly not Malahide. Kinsealy or Balgriffin probably the areas address.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Malahide shouldn't be on your list with your budget. Swords right next door is lovely though so I'd recommend looking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have lived in lower ballyfermot for about 6 years and it is a terrific area to live in (I confirmed street was very safe with Gardai friend before considering it - lally road) The neighbours are incredibly sound and friendly, made a lot of really great friends.
    I lived in kilmainham for 10 years and I literally knew nobody.
    15 mins on a bus to town, markiewicz park, very close to war memorial gardens.

I agree that Ballyfermot can be a bit of a sh#thole.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some of these 'areas' are absolutely huge, and one is a merger of two extremely different places that are just nearby each other.

People are giving scores without a reason as to why, and its unlikely anyone has even lived in half of them let alone all; so take anyones scores with a huge pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Cristianc wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so. Obviously Malahide/Belmayne cannot be the same as Darndale - in terms of risk of walking during the night or letting your child play. Or when it comes to how houses look. Is that right?
    That's why I asked in the beginning to rate the areas. Lower frequency/reputation of criminal activity/social unrest and low quality housing = low score. Yes, of course bad stuff can happen anywhere, but chances are not the same everywhere I guess.

You're asking about areas that have sub areas like darndale but also some areas that would be closer to dalkey prices. There are 7 figure homes in many of the areas you've listed, and have been poorly rated by the people who've rated them, equally there are no go areas.

They say in Dublin you're never more than a stone's throw away from a bad area. It's why sweeping generalisations like you're looking for are pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Lucan, blanch and tallaght are huge so it's difficult to assess according to your criteria. Personally, I'd avoid Lucan as traffic is always dire. I grew up near Blanch village and never had any issues but then again, Blanch is a huge area with trouble spots/estates. Tallaght, I don't know enough to make a judgement.

With that said, out of your list, my preference would be Beaumont. Mature area, easy commute/cycle to city, close to airport, M50, sea and not too far from parks like St Anne's.

Always look where the property is actually located on Google maps as places advertised as x area are often in y area (eg 'Killiney' = Ballybrack, 'Santry' ° Ballymun, "Glasnevin" = Finglas.) Not making judgements against any of these areas but estate agents here are notorious for advertising properties in the wrong area so they can hike the asking price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Malahide - it's gorgeous but expensive, cheaper at the Swords side. You could also look at Swords itself.
    Belmayne and Clongriffin - new and growing developments, I've heard mixed reviews about the places, lots of apartment blocks and duplexes.
    Beaumont, Santry - both are lovely
    Poppintree - a colleague lives there and likes it, somewhere past IKEA.

Blanchardstown and Lucan - there's older threads about both areas. B'town is huge

Ballyfermot, Walkinston, Clondalkin, Tallagh, Citywest/Saggart, Ballycullen - don't know any of these areas well.

mojesius wrote: »
    ....... Personally, I'd avoid Lucan as traffic is always dire. I ...

Is Lucan any worse than say Malahide. Anytime I've been there it's also been endless queues. Same with most parts of Dublin.

• Advertisement

Das Reich wrote: »
    Those English speakers can't undertand that for "civilized" the OP mean "developed"?

He doesn't mean developed, he means civilised. As in the people aren't chain-smoking joints in their pyjamas in the front garden, smashing bottles in the street, blaring music til 2am, burning out cars, riding scrambler bikes through the streets, having the gardai out every hour on the hour.

We all know exactly what the OP is trying to avoid, let's not pretend otherwise, and as someone who lives in a rough area, I can wholeheartedly understand why he's being cautious.

To the OP: The problem you face is that even areas known to be rough, actually have good parts within them (and vice versa). I live in an area that has featured in the news many a time, has a very well known reputation and would be cheap to buy in, as a result. However, it's a small enough area, and even within that small area, every street is different. Some people are tormented, some never have a moment's trouble.

A general bit of advice would be to look at the houses surrounding the house you're interested in - are they clean, have they had improvements of any sort, do they own cars, and if so, are the driveways empty from 9-5, etc. Things to avoid (in my experience) are littered areas, pallet furniture in the front gardens, paint peeling away, boarded up houses, Irish flags being hung up (unless it's Paddy's Day), graffiti, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Is Lucan any worse than say Malahide. Anytime I've been there it's also been endless queues. Same with most parts of Dublin.

Malahide is usually ok unless it's the weekend and the weather is nice then it can be mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Indeed, English is not my native language. By civilised I mean normally developed socially/culturally - so there would be a low risk of getting attacked by gangs of teenagers, homeless people or neighbors using drugs and in poor financial situation. I do know not all of the people in an area are like this but it's enough to make an area "rough". For example I've heard Darndale is like this and although I haven't seen the violence, I saw the houses looked depressed(old and cheap at the time) and there's also a lot of trash lying around - and this speaks about the residents.

The Pobal Deprivation map might help you, it ranks areas from Extremely Disadvantaged up to Extremely Affluent. Data is from 2017 but it wlll give you an idea of areas where there is more likely to be anti social problems

https://www.rte.ie/deprivation/

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Pobal Deprivation map might help you, it ranks areas from Extremely Disadvantaged up to Extremely Affluent. Data is from 2017 but it wlll give you an idea of areas where there is more likely to be anti social problems

https://www.rte.ie/deprivation/

Very interesting. But not sure I understand it. Most of Dublin seems to be below average. Also, the most affluent area in the south - extremely affluent - is in Sandyford around Benildus avenue. But there you can only find lots of rental apartments (Beacon) and car dealerships/hardware stores. How does this work?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From the northside part of your list I would choose Beaumont. Nice area, close to amenities, not too mental prices. Not terribly familiar with the west of the city.

You didnt mention it but Raheny or any of the areas surrounding it are also good places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

My wife sulked for a whole year when we lived in Walkinstown. Terrible place.

Although having to live with me as well probably didn't help. Nor me calling her the incredible sulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Very interesting. But not sure I understand it. Most of Dublin seems to be below average. Also, the most affluent area in the south - extremely affluent - is in Sandyford around Benildus avenue. But there you can only find lots of rental apartments (Beacon) and car dealerships/hardware stores. How does this work?

You can read more about the methodology here and there is a link to the report which will have a full explanation. https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/national-deprivation-index-for-ireland-published/
    It is not a data base for buying a house but it will give you an idea of areas that have high unemployment, low education, anti social behaviour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My wife sulked for a whole year when we lived in Walkinstown. Terrible place.

Although having to live with me as well probably didn't help. Nor me calling her the incredible sulk.

Which bit, if you don't mind me asking?

Interesting Pobal map, I can imagine there would be some Templeogue folk who wouldn't be too happy with their below average standing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Lots of news reports recently of incidents involving teens in Malahide.

But sure its happening everywhere. No area is immune.
    Caranica wrote: »
    Which is precisely why this thread is pointless!

We know what the OP is asking.

Would you feel more comfortable, less comfortable or indifferent with your granny walking alone through Malahide vs Tallaght?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I have lived in Santry/Beaumont since the early 1990s and the only downside I would mention is the relative lack of better-quality restaurants, coffee-shops etc. But for all standard amenities, public transport and personal safety it is fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement