Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,933 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You're certainly feeding us a bunch of nonsense about this conflict, dumping Russian propaganda here. If you can't see that it originated as Russian propaganda and that repeating it here makes you come across as pro-Russian - that's entirely on you. That's not questioning the 'official' narrative, that is lock, stock and barrel reposting the 'official' and completely false Russian narrative.

You have been completely unable to engage with any of the many posts discrediting your claims, responding with whataboutery and more propaganda and now playing the victom card. Utterly transparent tactics of someone who has lost the debate.

You pretend to be concerned about countries such as Poland and Ukraine, and yet you had zero answer to such points put to you as:

Those countries, when given the free choice to do so, either have or want to take their place in Western alliances such as NATO or the EU.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 randomuser02125

Putin told Carlson Ukraine is not a country. Your medal is well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭briany

Many of us on this thread will have read literal essays penned by Putin on why he thinks that Ukraine can only be a partner of Russia. We've seen Lavrov talk to the BBC about needing to rid Kyiv of the 'drug addicts and neo-nazis' who were in power there (while keeping fairly quiet about Russia's PMC named after Hitler's favourite composer, but we'll leave that). We watched live the Russian security council convene a day or two before the invasion began as they stammered and shook before Putin.

We get far, far more of the Russian point of view in the West than vice-versa, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 randomuser02125

Jaysus man, you're parroting Russian propoganda, not marching over the bridge in Selma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 doyle55

And here you are feeding this forum a bunch of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

We could be off to the races again with the House Speaker. A couple of the dingleberrys in the Republican caucus are unhappy about Ukraine getting some help:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Paddigol

You may/ may not be pro-Russian. And everyone is entitled to their opinions. But they're also entitled to be called out on them for lack of factual context. And you've basically just been spouting a lot of generalisations which a few posters have picked apart with precision - you haven't even attempted to debate the issues with those posters, instead just raging against the posters who simply resort to throwing insults at you.

So you are entitled to your opinions, but you're not entitled to hold your opinions out as fact if you're not willing to debate the issues you raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭20silkcut

before Bucha, Mariupol , etc the likes of the Germans were sending helmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭zv2

@Poon Tang "The Russians are no more barbaric than the yanks in how they try to eliminate a threat, but they just do it in a different way."

Most armies are cruel to different degrees but Russia has been, and is, the most mendacious, brutal regime that ever existed on earth. I once read an account of Russia's brutality written in 1900. (Can't seem to locate it again.) They have been evil since Russia came into existence.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I

They are pretty good at manipulating media and influencing elections. Funny too how their neighbours are russian to help them out or join them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

I kinda stopped checking this thread every day but then I see 50 posts in one day and my interest is renewed.

Do the bots not realise they are actually keeping this thread alive and keeping people interested in Ukraine which is the total opposite of what they are hoping to achieve?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I haven't released it yet, but I've recorded a series of videos from Fort Irwin about 11th ACR, the professional opposing force. That tends to almost always win. As they represent the potential adversary, they don't play by the rules that US forces play with. I asked a couple of their officers directly for some examples, they varied from firing into occupied civilian areas or firing at things they can't see, to lying in public affairs/Info Ops as things they were allowed to do but US operations probhibited. One squadron commander said "My limits are 'what would Vladimir Putin do? And there's not much he wouldn't do'"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Virgil°

In a weird way this could be good news if true.

Johnson was about to bring Israel and Ukraine standalone bills to the floor and vote separately but wasn't directly opposed to merging them. Which isn't great news since any new bill could spend months bouncing back and forward between the Senate and Congress over any amendment(And there'd probably be lots since Johnson would likely have poison pilled the bill). And in the worst case the Israel bill could slip through leaving Ukraine solo on the floor. At which point Johnson could ignore it. So if the MAGA Republicans are getting this riled about it then maybe the bill is decent for Ukraine?

Equally if he doesn't want to get ousted he may now be in the position of needing democrats to save him. Which will almost certainly come with the condition of putting the senate approved bill to the floor for a vote.

It's just such a brutally unfair world really.

Ukraine are increasingly having to give ground and intercept missiles with their hospitals/power plants and infrastructure. In Congress they're seemingly much less popular on the aid front than Israel. Despite Russia being the more clear and present danger to the western world, the UK, US, Jordan and Saudis are happy to close the skies over from Iranian drones as long as they aren't Russian.

Ukraine also may have to take the aid in the form of a loan if at all. And Israel doesn't for ….. reasons, despite not even needing any of it in the first place. And I've never historically been a huge critic of Israel honestly. It really is just such a bitter pill to swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭eoinbn

I stick to what I said in this thread over 2 months ago. This war will end in 2025, in Russia's favour, unless US aid is resumed. Unfortunately, I don't see it resuming.

Note the ISW have said the very same thing today - that Russia will likely win the war in 2025 unless the US resumes in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

To anybody with a smidgeon of sense, humanity and perceptiveness, watching Russian representatives and propagandists present their point of view arouses only derision, horror and repugnance. They condemn themselves out of their own mouths. It speaks to the ignorant, blinkered and primitive nature of the MAGA faction in American politics that they are one of the few groups (along with the compromised, bribed and fascist-leaning in the EU) in the western world to swallow these rants, fantasies and threats hook, line and sinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Given the fact that so many Russian talking points seem to infiltrate the forum and international politics at large, I'd say it's happy to say that it's pretty effective. The same posters who espouse the views are always entirely unwilling to admit that Russia is pursuing a genocidal agenda. You yourself have already made multiple efforts to downplay their actions and move to "what about America". The US aren't responsible for Russia kidnapping children, they're not responsible for the pursuit of destroying Ukrainian culture and they're not responsible for acts like Bucha.

Also it's not exactly surprising that Ukraine have no desire to negotiate handing over any territory after the invasion and genocidal acts against their citizens. The reality is, this is gonna be something Ukraine will take a long time to ever culturally recover from. So nope, not problems on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Poon Tang

The only sort of interest in Ukraine that would make any substantive difference to the outcome of this war, would be if more westerners were interested in grabbing a gun and signing up for the Ukrainian armed forces… save for that level of interest, Ukraine are doomed to lose this thing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think they'd be OK if we just gave them more guns and bullets… (Big ones, preferably)

Not really. It only keeps them in the fight. To truly have a good chance of winning, they need much more manpower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭zerosquared

What a very Russian concept

Non wonder 450,000 of them are dead vs 35,000-45,000

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Luna84

…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

Ukraine continues to strike at moskovyte occupiers of their country with the hard work of millions of Ukrainian people still living in Ukraine. I don't think your prediction of Ukraine loosing is based on anything other than a bizarre love you seem to have for putin.

https://kyivindependent.com/sources-ukrainian-forces-target-command-post-in-russian-occupied-crimea/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jmreire

Neither Afghanistan or Chechnya had much control over their occupied territories, and with Afghanistan aside from military defeat, bankruptcy was staring Russia in the face. With Chechnya, Putin had to pay Kadyrov millions and millions each year (and still paying it too) before the war stopped. And in both these Countries he bombed and killed indiscriminately. In neither place did it stop the guerrilla warfare. There was no military victory in either place. If the US is carrying high levels of debt, blame that on Afghanistan and other wars, not Ukraine, who are only getting minute quantities either in cash or weapons. Had they been given what they need, Putin would be licking his wounds back in his bunker in the Kremlin a long time ago.

Now as for Russia itself. You simply cannot take upwards of an est 40% of a Countrys cash and expect that Country to perform naturally…and Putin is planning even higher levels of taxation to fund his next mobilisation. Nope, internally Putin's Russia is disintegrating slowly but surely, and soon all the repressive horrors you mention Putin using in occupied Ukraine etc. he will be using in Russia too. I have several Russian friends still living in different parts of the RF, inc Moscow, but now they are becoming more and more outspoken about what Putin is doing to them. Ukraine and the West is not the only problem Putin is facing…he's facing more and more issues at home too.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, it shares EU borders, NATO ones, and Putin is not going to cross them. Ukraine is different because its not yet in NATO, but it has started accession talks about joining the EU, and that's what the EU will not tolerate, a Russian state on its borders. In other posts above in reply to Poon Tang, I covered the points you mention about Russian's fighting Guerrila wars. I know very well how Russia fights, I was in Chechnya, Afghanistan and more recently in Syria. And one or two other places too where Putin had a presence. There's a huge difference in a country where people are fighting for their very lives, and the lives of their families. and forcibly conscripted poorly trained and equipped, and worst of all, poorly led soldiers. Which is what the majority of Russian soldiers actually are. And as for how long it will take for Russia's internal collapse. I can't say for definite, but for sure, its started. The foundations are starting to crumble.And I'm hearing this from my friends in Russia. They have changed their attitudes a lot since Feb 24 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I see the Ruble fell in value today. In spite of interest rates increasing..

2 years and some $300 billion later, the hopium is running thin…

The west has tried throwing money at this and failed miserably. The only thing left now, is human capital. Ukraine needs more bodies to sacrifice. Otherwise it'll be game over pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

By that reasoning, you're not counting the russians as human given they are dying at a vastly higher rate.

Is a russian life worth so little to you?

How many more russians should die pursuing this?

Do you think westerners will sign up en masse to fight and die for this cause? A cause they claim to believe so much in?

That's where it's naturally going now. Russia has successfully sucked the west into another disastrous un-winnable war. It's total commitment now, or bust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭rogber

Some hysterical numbers are thrown about regarding dead Russian soldiers, here some statistics from a reliable source, very minimum 50k:

Advertisement