Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Forget about it at this stage.

Rugby, rugby, rugby and more rugby.

McCormack, McCarthy, Hayes and Gilroy brutal.

Its only a matter of time before it is replaced you would feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

In the 3 hours tonight wasn't any rugby, all GAA and Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

ROG can be a difficult listen.

I don’t doubt his rugby knowledge and expertise , he just never seems to articulate himself very well on OTB. A lot of humming and stuttering before answering any question.

Hard to square it with him being a very successful coach

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Yeah I think its a bit unfair to say its all rubbish and will be replaced. While I fundamentally disagree with their paywall and especially with how the message was delivered, a Joe show is still a very good listen and they do cover a wide range of topics. Yes they focus on GAA, rugby and soccer but they are the sports with the greatest interest in this country. I'd be worried if they were covering minority sports in the main but they do occasionally have these too.

The problem I have - 7-10 doesn't always work for me and I'm not willing to pay for it, but that doesn't mean its not a good show with Joe in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Poyndexter

Tonight some woman with Richie McCormack on discussing the NFL and for 20 minutes plus they have been discussing Taylor Swift, the far right, Trump, conspiracy theories, misogyny.... basically everything except the games at the weekend or previewing the Super Bowl. Absolutely pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭bren2001

Every sports broadcast is covering the Taylor Swift stuff. It’s not unique to OTB. There’s plenty of time to preview the actual match.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,778 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There was an excellent piece on Tuesday night with Kieran Shannon about the women's basketball team and their upcoming fixtures against Israel.

Contrast that to the Taylor Swift/NFL topic last night. Ritchie was like a love smitten fan boy talking to the US journalist. He never probed whether it would be a good thing if Taylor used her profound influence to make a statement about what is happening in Gaza. It was just a case of she has challenged the patriarchy and probably doesn't like Trump so she is a hero.

Well the person above wasn't happy about too much rugby. A few pages back it was too much GAA and soccer and not enough given to other types of stories.

Proof that they just can't win. I didn't hear the piece but is it not a good thing to discuss the dangerous rhetoric being peddled by populists such as Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm not interested hearing about Trump on an Irish sports show.

Yes because sports and politics don't mix, and never should, right?

I enjoy when they cover social issues and their link to sport, especially one which has potentially such a dangerous implications for us all.

Trump HATES the NFL with a passion because even if he gave them $100bn (which he doesn't have) they would not let him buy a team since he destroyed the USFL from his ownership of the New Jersey Generals I think it was. He pretends he doesn't want to own a team but in reality he knows that even before he saw the populist trend in politics the NFL owners (despite being an equally awful bunch of men) would not let him near a team. He's like the person who says "I didn't want it anyway" when they know something is out of reach. Trump has no problem dishing it out but doesn't like it when its turned back on him (given he has already pledged "Holy War" on her. Classic narcissist behaviour and the embodiment of the dangerous dictator he threatens to be if re-elected. America is sleepwalking in to this.

Here's what I do. When they are discussing a topic I am not interested in (e.g. rugby, tennis, etc) I just switch the channel for a while. It works really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

How dare OTB not cater their show for your interests only...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭RINO87

Does this mean that all of "The Football Show" is now pre-recorded? That used to be a fantastic listen during the knockout stages of the champions league, when the studio would react live to whatever was happening.

Haha!

Imagine my interests being sports and tuning into a sports pod to hear......shock,horror sports!

Sport and politics are of course inextricably linked.However I don't need to hear nonsense Trump talk listening to OTB

I think more agree than disagree with me on that.Coupled with a few other issues like their price point they have shot themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

From what I've herd recently they'll prerecord if theres no games on (or just single game) and be live if there are games taking place

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

I was in the car and heard this. It was painful.

The lady on the phone was a social justice warrior first, journalist second.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Poyndexter

They can discuss trump and politics all they want on the hard shoulder and throughout the day but when I tune in to a sports show I would like to hear about actual sports.

Well, each to their own but you can pretend that sports and social affairs are not interlinked all you want but I think you are fooling yourself if you think they are mutually exclusive.

Plenty of people (myself included) do like to hear about actual sports while also discussing the impact of these sports on social affairs, politics, etc where they are linked.

Since everybody can't be pleased all the time, I think those who don't want to hear about it need to be able to turn off for 20 minutes, just like I would do if they are discussing something I am not interested in. There's a world of sporting podcasts to fill that 15-20 minute void where they discuss a social issue in a sporting context.

Yeah I was just going to say that, I think its when there are no games on that they'll pre-record. And to be fair, would any of us choose to work 9-10 at night rather than do it during the day? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Her name is Shalise Manza-Young, she writes for the Yahoo sports website (or at least she did , I haven't seen much of her on it recently) and essentially 95% of the articles she wrote were about racism, sexism, "social justice" with some tiny link thrown in to sports , she was painful to read and most of her articles really showed she was a complete **** stirrer and was desperately trying to find racism , sexism angle to what happened in sports even if none existed to any sensible person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

The issue is a lot of sports journalists these days are far more interested in finding some sort of politics within the sports they cover than actually covering the sport.This is probably because of the fact that deep down they know sports are essentially completely unimportant and frippery and in order to make themselves feel like serious journalists they try as often as they can to shoehorn politics into sports coverage.If they want to do that then fine but it doesn't mean people have to enjoy listening to their recreation and escapism time being taken over with discussion of serious issues.Sports are escapism fro the vast majority of people, understandable some people don't like seriousness interrupting their escapism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

She’d be right at home with the woke baes on Newstalk so. Is Ger going to sign her up?

I like GAA and rugby with a passing interest in most sports and I'd definitely pay a tenner a month to be lectured by an American eejit like this.....

Oh wait a minute,no I wouldn't,like most of the population.

A good post and you could be on to something. As usual, its just all opinions and mine is no more correct than yours!

But you got to put yourself in their position too. I don't think most people no longer read the "With 3 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter, Kansas City converted a 3rd and 10", or "United scored in the 25th minute" article. And Off The Ball, etc do plenty of factual reporting and covering of sports in a direct and analytical way.

I don't see the problem with them spending a couple of hours every week getting in to the nitty gritty of the social impacts of the undeniable links between what happens on the pitch versus what happens off it. Also, lets face it journalists need to cover items which gain traction, listens and clicks - audio or written. They have no choice but to cover items which are of the interest of both the hard core and the passive fan.

You can't satisfy everybody all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭DaithiMa

Caught a bit of the Newsround in the car earlier. Talking about football and Mick says something along the lines of 'Chelsea were awful at the weekend, I didn't watch it, I saw highlights on Match of the Day but they were so bad.'

Maybe I am being harsh but surely you should watch the whole game if you are going to comment on how a team has played (even if he is correct). It isn't quite as bad as the time they had Danny Mills on and he blamed Luke Shaw for a United defeat at Anfield when he wasn't even on the bench, but at least it was free when Mills gave that expert piece of analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 StuttgartKY

Interesting bit on a slight tangent this week. Someone emailed in complaining how the scheduling of OTB is poor in terms of you never know who will be presenting or guests etc. The lads dismissed it really, which I thought was interesting as I believe its a valid criticism. Also gives an insight into thoughts within the team and maybe they don‘t see much wrong with how its going as of now.

In fairness Joe did acknowledge that they could do better on it but was pretty brief

Well I don't know about you but honestly, there is so much football on bar he spent his whole weekend watching and did nothing else with his life it he'd have to just see the highlights of some of it! You can more often than not tell from highlights when a team is brutal in a game. It was on at the same time as United v West Ham and Bournemouth Forest - both games had more riding on them. I would cut him some slack to be fair.

It was an interesting piece I thought. I thought they defended their turf well. They said its Joe Sun-Wed, Nathan Thursday, Friday Ger and John Duggan on Saturday and has ever been thus.

They said that sometimes pieces of the show get uploaded at different times rather than a "7am drop" like some podcasts do. But they said that things crash, etc during upload and I can understand that too!

I didn't see the issue, although to be fair to the emailer he was paying more than I am for their services!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FazyLucker

Both GAA shows - The Hurling Pod and The Football Pod - being offered free.

As a GAA fan, I am delighted. I wonder did Bord Gais Energy (sponsors) put the foot down and say "Here Ger, we didn't sponsor the show to have 20 listens behind your "tenner a month" paywall, make it free to air or we're off".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Not sure about the Hurling Pod but Football Pod is one free on a Monday and one behind the Paywall on a Thursday.

I think it will most likely dilute what is a good product but such is life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Advertisement