Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone scam?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Darc19 wrote: »
    No use getting annoyed or searching to blame someone, just ignore and block.
    I don't think there's any point in blocking it. The number is randomly spoofed and doesn't even belong to them. So you're most likely blocking some unfortunate person who had nothing to do with it. There's a few reports on here of users getting calls from someone claiming that they missed a call from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I wouldn't blame you for declining an iPhone.

No, especially as I have an iPhone 11 and I'm more than happy with it.

Anyhow, I'm not going to derail thread with silly Android/Iphone wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

2 missed calls from an 083 number and when it rang the third time I answered thinking it might have been the vet but alas no my pps number has been cancelled due to criminal activity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

An archive of scammers who had the scam turned back on themselves. Delicious, and very funny reading :)

https://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

Sending a GPS tracked box to a scammer in Africa, and then watching it's journey?

Getting a scammer to hand carve a wooden keyboard so as he could get a "scholarship"?

Getting them to tattoo themselves so as to become members of a church and then get loads of money?

All with pictures and copies of emails. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Autosport wrote: »
    2 missed calls from an 083 number and when it rang the third time I answered thinking it might have been the vet but alas no my pps number has been cancelled due to criminal activity :D
    I had two missed calls earlier because I've no signal in my underground bunker office. When I eventually listened to my messages, turns out my PPS is about to be cancelled due to criminal activity. Who knew that buying a few endangered toads on the Dark Web would lead to this?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Gradius wrote: »
    An archive of scammers who had the scam turned back on themselves. Delicious, and very funny reading :)

https://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm

Sending a GPS tracked box to a scammer in Africa, and then watching it's journey?

Getting a scammer to hand carve a wooden keyboard so as he could get a "scholarship"?

Getting them to tattoo themselves so as to become members of a church and then get loads of money?

All with pictures and copies of emails. Good stuff.

Now there's a blast from the past. I think the Dead Parrot sketch that they were tricked into performing should be among those too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They left a voicemail Today for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Had the amazon scam one this morning but from 094, not a mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Very same thing going on over here in North American for a long while now

You get a call from what nearly looks like your own phone number bar the last 3 or 4 digits and sure enough an automated message.

Ignore and block is the only solution

Your phone number isn't compromised, just a random dialler it seems

yeah had this today, the number was close to my own. It was a robotic voice with an American accent telling me Im in trouble with An Garda Siochana

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Best thing to do is put the phone down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah had this today, the number was close to my own. It was a robotic voice with an American accent telling me Im in trouble with An Garda Siochana

Fairly certain I heard that tune on New Eire TV

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The latest Apple IOS has a new function called “silence unknown callers’, makes your life must easier as you just divert crank calls, the numbers are recorded and you can see them in your recent list.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

2 calls today, from 087 numbers.
    If I pick up and don't say anything the automated voice starts anyway.
    Blocked and set as spam.

I have to pick up as I do get calls from mobile numbers in my business. I can't restrict to phonebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

biko wrote: »
    2 calls today, from 087 numbers.
    If I pick up and don't say anything the automated voice starts anyway.
    Blocked and set as spam
    Snap!

I missed a call earlier from an 087 number which I think is a scam, just answered a call from a different 087 number and got the start of an automated message. I didn't listen long enough to find out what imminent danger I'm in and the number is now blocked.

This is going to get old very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Snap!

I missed a call earlier from an 087 number which I think is a scam, just answered a call from a different 087 number and got the start of an automated message. I didn't listen long enough to find out what imminent danger I'm in and the number is now blocked.

This is going to get old very quickly.

Ah no, Leg. I think you're PPS genuinely was compromised.
    The feds will be on your door tonight and you'll curse you didn't speak to the department officials now.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Ah no, Leg. I think you're PPS genuinely was compromised.
    The feds will be on your door tonight and you'll curse you didn't speak to the department officials now.
    Not to worry, I also received an email from a very nice gentleman who needs my help to retrieve his dead engineer client's money from the bank before the bank confiscate it.

Bloody bankers stealing dead people's money! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Not to worry, I also received an email from a very nice gentleman who needs my help to retrieve his dead engineer client's money from the bank before the bank confiscate it.

Bloody bankers stealing dead people's money! :mad:

Jeepers, you might get a husband out of that email too.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well Im in trouble with the Gardai and there is an arrest warrant out for me. It must be because Im so gorgeous that the Gardai need to arrest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well Im in trouble with the Gardai and there is an arrest warrant out for me. It must be because Im so gorgeous that the Gardai need to arrest me.
    OK Pat! :pac:

I got none today, which I found surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I got at least 10 this week and my colleagues got similar number of calls.

At some point we were worried that there was a breach of data in the company we work for.

Reading all the above this seems to mass random attack.

Some numbers were too short to even think that it's real, some looked legit.

Annoying.

Advertisement