Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone scam?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

In the last few weeks, my bank details were compromised, my sexual health information was leaked, and my amazon parcel was stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Few of these myself. Most recent from Leitrim; apparently..

Ah shur that’s obviously a scam, we all know Leitrim doesn’t have phones yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

cj maxx wrote: »
    The last call I got was from 02039965446.

Don't know where that is
    020 is London. They probably spoofed the wrong country.

I got one of these calls from an 083 number (fake DSP message) but nothing since. Hoping it stays that way.

I’ve had heaps lately from numbers starting in 087 then three identical digits each time and then the last 4 digits are always different. Must be 11 or 12 different ones now and similar to toffeeshel above the 087 and the first 3 digits are the same as my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

I have gotten a few lately I saved one number and checked out the watsapp picture can I post it ..

• Advertisement

Good podcast from "In Machines We Trust" called "AI finds its voice."
    https://toptenews.in/podcast-ai-finds-its-voice/

Basically, scammers are able to use AI to generate voices.

We will see more targetted attacks in the future, scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Deub

I have gotten a few lately I saved one number and checked out the watsapp picture can I post it ..

I don’t know if you are serious so I will say: don’t post the pic. They use random numbers to call you which sometimes is someone’s number. You would be posting the pic of an innocent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Deub wrote: »
    I don’t know if you are serious so I will say: don’t post the pic. They use random numbers to call you which sometimes is someone’s number. You would be posting the pic of an innocent person.

These are definitely picture scammers to look like I won't post justincase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I got two this morning. Both from 08x xxx numbers, where the x'ed out digits are the same as my own.

Anyone else notice this?

yes me too. 2 calls in one day ....same as my first 6 digits ...last 4 numbers different than mine and each other.

I literally don't answer a number i dont recognise now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I literally don't answer a number i dont recognise now.

Can't answer the landline at all anymore either and those are the legitimate ones. Lot of swindling c*nts nowadays!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Up until last Friday I have never received a scam call. Since then I’m getting 4 or 5 a day from 086 and other weird numbers. All are recorded message saying my PPS number has been flagged for fraudulent activity and to press 1 to speak with someone.

Is this as a result of the HSE hacking?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

2 incoming calls today. 1 from a 087 number and the other from a landline in Charleville. Both automated messages about my pps number being used in criminal activity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Up until last Friday I have never received a scam call. Since then I’m getting 4 or 5 a day from 086 and other weird numbers. All are recorded message saying my PPS number has been flagged for fraudulent activity and to press 1 to speak with someone.

I just got that same call ,fraudulent activity on the North Dublin border too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Deub

It is not related to the HSE hacking. Any person with an irish mobile number can get these calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

And now that there are names to match the numbers thanks to facebook leaking nearly 1.5 million people's records, the scams will be more frequent and the calls themselves can be better tailored based on what people share.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Got 2 calls on my wife's number this morn ...the first few numbers same as her number .... when answered call just disconnects....I didn't say anything when I answered 2nd call ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭Treppen

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Block the number, same sh1te over here in Spain ...

I must have about 50 blocked numbers by now ...

Once they know you've blocked they know the number is active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

omerin wrote: »
    Got 2 calls today from 087 9904848 and 087 9959101. Both start with an automated message, hung up on the 1st nunber, pressed 1 to talk to HSE rep on the second number, where i told her to **** off after she introduced herself

Got a call on the landline today, the broadband scam

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Treppen wrote: »
    Once they know you've blocked they know the number is active.

That's not true at all as they don't know they're blocked.

It's all done by autodialler. If answered they play recording and hope you act.

I don't see what blocking numbers does anyway as you don't normally get called back by the same number.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I got a call today saying my EBay order for iphone for €799 is ready and "dial 1 " to arrange shipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Got a few calls in recent days from 085/087 numbers I didn't recognize so didn't bother answering ........took a call first thing this morning on an 087 number, automated message English accent telling me apparently my PPS number's been cancelled due to criminal activity ( wtf I been up to now :rolleyes:) I had to press 1 to speak to an agent and face a warrant.....didn't press

Got me thinking where did they get the number? the only place I've randomly given my number and pps to was to register for the vaccine, I wonder are these calls linked to the HSE hack ? ...a quick google search says they've been happening alot of late

Oh are there scam calls going around? That's been kept quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Just tell them you have an erection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Got five calls in the past week telling me about criminal activity with my ppsn. Even a phone call from a non-mobile number, came from a Sligo number. I just hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Fils wrote: »
    Just tell them you have an erection.

Well it was first thing in the morning, it's not unusual :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Sham calls. Just call them out for what they are

sonofenoch wrote:

Got me thinking where did they get the number? the only place I've randomly given my number and pps to was to register for the vaccine, I wonder are these calls linked to the HSE hack ? ...a quick google search says they've been happening alot of late

Funnily enough, the only people I know who've gotten these calls are my brother and sister, in their 40s and recently vaccinated. According to radio broadcasts, those who receive these calls tend to be in that age category.

Of course, there are about 700,000 people in that category so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Still, it's a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

FFS, you get a scam call and think it's connected to the HSE hack even though the vaccine portal is not connected to the HSE (it's why it never went down)

These calls are happening all over the world. It's the modern day Nigerian prince scam.

Numbers are dialled at total random by a software program.

No use getting annoyed or searching to blame someone, just ignore and block.

Massive thread on this already in Consumer Issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Better policy - if you have the time - is to engage the scammer and disrupt the economic model which keeps the whole kit and kaboodle running.

My record is 87 minutes about five weeks back when I pretended to be a farmer from Ballydehob with a “shtackloada cash in me account after I sold de house lasht yeer.”

Must have driven the guys mental - they were roaring at me by the end of the call.

Advertisement