Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone scam?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,100 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Very annoying in the last few weeks. Must've got 6 or 7 of these calls. Started from 083 numbers but the last one was from a number in Cavan/Monaghan. Blocked each time but comes through on new numbers each time. Must be working though and people are falling for it. Otherwise they wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Very annoying in the last few weeks. Must've got 6 or 7 of these calls. Started from 083 numbers but the last one was from a number in Cavan/Monaghan. Blocked each time but comes through on new numbers each time. Must be working though and people are falling for it. Otherwise they wouldn't bother.

I can buy a number for any county in Ireland, any part of the UK, any part of Europe.

I can operate that number from anywhere in the world.

Only solution is to ignore and block. Unfortunately very little anyone can do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Darc19 wrote: »
    FFS, you get a scam call and think it's connected to the HSE hack even though the vaccine portal is not connected to the HSE (it's why it never went down)

These calls are happening all over the world. It's the modern day Nigerian prince scam.

Numbers are dialled at total random by a software program.

No use getting annoyed or searching to blame someone, just ignore and block.

Ok fair enough don't shoot the messenger ......but where do you register for the vaccine, HSE.ie

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Ok fair enough don't shoot the messenger ......but where do you register for the vaccine, HSE.ie

This scam is absolutely rampant in the USA, Australia and UK, for years now.
    The numbers are randomly generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Loads of people from the job were getting them today, and a family member was getting them earlier also, that's very strange, is it to do with the HSE hack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Fieldog wrote: »
    Loads of people from the job were getting them today, and a family member was getting them earlier also, that's very strange, is it to do with the HSE hack?

More than likely

eggy81 wrote: »
    More than likely

It's absolutely not, though.

The scammers know absolutely nothing about you. It's up to you not to furnish them with details.

Technically I have your mobile number. I could set an automatic dialler to start at 087 000 0001 and keep going up one digit and through all the mobile prefixes and eventually, your phone would ring. That is how they "have your number".

Darc19 wrote: »
    FFS, you get a scam call and think it's connected to the HSE hack even though the vaccine portal is not connected to the HSE (it's why it never went down)

These calls are happening all over the world. It's the modern day Nigerian prince scam.

Numbers are dialled at total random by a software program.

No use getting annoyed or searching to blame someone, just ignore and block.

Ah come now, nobody is saying anything negative about the HSE or maligning the vaccination programme in any way.

Some data has clearly been breached though. I don't know if it's HSE- or Vodafone-related, but when people have been subjected to a barrage of phone calls. they are entitled to wonder why, that's all.

Ah come now, nobody is saying anything negative about the HSE or maligning the vaccination programme in any way.

Some data has clearly been breached though. I don't know if it's HSE- or Vodafone-related, but when people have been subjected to a barrage of phone calls. they are entitled to wonder why, that's all.

It's randomly dialled numbers. They rely on the person who owns the number being duped into giving them their details.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭neiphin

It's randomly dialled numbers. They rely on the person who owns the number being duped into giving them their details.

The voice message asked me to dial 1

I wanted to, to mess with them,
    But I don’t know what the consequences could be

• Advertisement

neiphin wrote: »
    The voice message asked me to dial 1

I wanted to, to mess with them,
    But I don’t know what the consequences could be

I did. I got to four minutes before the guy realised I was messing with him and hung up on me. They haven't phoned me since! I am genuinely disappointed in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

I usually keep them going to piss them off completely.

I have a Virtual Machine setup on my laptop for them to use.

I just like wasting their time and usually ends with a ton abuse thrown at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Funnily enough, the only people I know who've gotten these calls are my brother and sister, in their 40s and recently vaccinated. According to radio broadcasts, those who receive these calls tend to be in that age category.

Of course, there are about 700,000 people in that category so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Still, it's a strange one.

My teenage son's mobile is plagued by them the last few days so nope, it's across the board.

To thine own self be true

I usually keep them going to piss them off completely.

I have a Virtual Machine setup on my laptop for them to use.

I just like wasting their time and usually ends with a ton abuse thrown at me.

Who's your favourite YouTube scambaiter?
    Mine is Kitboga, hands down for the entertainment factor.
    Jim Browning obviously, as the grandaddy of scambaiters, but starting to warm to Peirogi. At first he came across as a Kitboga wannabe (and honestly he still does on his calls) but his work with Jim Browning has been fantastic and the guy is actually learning Hindi. So kudos to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 honirelandboy

Jim Browning obviously, as the grandaddy of scambaiters, but starting to warm to Peirogi. At first he came across as a Kitboga wannabe (and honestly he still does on his calls) but his work with Jim Browning has been fantastic and the guy is actually learning Hindi. So kudos to him.

Kitboga definitely, might just get some Viber credit and start ringing them and start pissing them off and start deleting their files and stuff like he does.

Wouldn't mind taking their files as well.

Kitboga definitely, might just get some Viber credit and start ringing them and start pissing them off and start deleting their files and stuff like he does.

Wouldn't mind taking their files as well.

I don't have the technical skillz necessary to get into scambaiting but I definitely engage with every call I get. Of course I knew this recent script better than the scammer did. I jumped in too quickly and gave the game away. And now the bollixes won't phone me. My favourite part was the first minute when the scammer repeatedly asked me what message I had received and I roundaboutedly wouldn't tell him. They're running multiple scams at once and if you don't tell him which automated message you heard, they don't know which script to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

Is Jim Browning the one from Northern Ireland?

paul71 wrote: »
    Is Jim Browning the one from Northern Ireland?

The very same.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

It's absolutely not, though.

The scammers know absolutely nothing about you. It's up to you not to furnish them with details.

Technically I have your mobile number. I could set an automatic dialler to start at 087 000 0001 and keep going up one digit and through all the mobile prefixes and eventually, your phone would ring. That is how they "have your number".

Agree. I didn't register with the HSE. My doctor rang me to tell me I could get a vaccine as someone had cancelled. I still got those calls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

The very same.

Used to watch him a few years back, seems like a clued in guy. Have you seen the AI answer bot that Kitboga is developing? It honestly could work as the long term answer to scam calls. Imagine the scam centres getting 100,000 call backs a day from AI that can keep up the pretence for 10 to 15 minutes each.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-56458267

• Advertisement

Used to watch him a few years back, seems like a clued in guy. Have you seen the AI answer bot that Kitboga is developing? It honestly could work as the long term answer to scam calls. Imagine the scam centres getting 100,000 call backs a day from AI that can keep up the pretence for 10 to 15 minutes each.

I saw a video where his AI bot was getting the scammers' US bank accounts faster than he was! It's very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭thesandeman

murpho999 wrote: »
    I got a call today saying my EBay order for iphone for €799 is ready and "dial 1 " to arrange shipment.

I wouldn't blame you for declining an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was watching him when he was developing and testing it and it kinda worked but wasn't great.
    Has it come on some since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Haven't had a single call yet - so disappointed, love stringing them along

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Very same thing going on over here in North American for a long while now

You get a call from what nearly looks like your own phone number bar the last 3 or 4 digits and sure enough an automated message.

Ignore and block is the only solution

Your phone number isn't compromised, just a random dialler it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Every day, twice a day sometimes saying they have my pps number and I am wanted for suspicious activities. I am usually in work so I hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

fritzelly wrote: »
    Haven't had a single call yet - so disappointed, love stringing them along

It's not an actual person though, it's an automated message so you can't string them along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

So. .. the bad guys have just decided to start doing this in Ireland now or they suddenly have new capabilites to make it possible now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I got six over the course of an hour yesterday. All rang out after 16 seconds.

Given that the story is out there in main stream media, do people actually fall for these type of scams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

If they had your number hacked they'd likely have your name and would probably phone directly as opposed to getting you to press 1 or whatever. It would be way more effective. For that reason I'm thinking it's more likely they're using an auto-dialler.

Advertisement