Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone scam?

Options
  • 21-06-2021 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Staring on Friday I've started receiving an obscene amount of calls from 087.... numbers, all of them different. I pick up and an automated message begins from someone claiming to be from the Garda. I realise it's a scam but should I change my number now that it seems to be available to these scamers? I've never experienced a phone scam before, should I assume that means my info has been leaked as part of the recent HSE hacking?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I got one about an hour ago.

Automated message saying that my pps number had been compromised. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just don't ring back.....

Happens any number, they use auto dialers....

You could change and same happen

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Me too, last week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Block the number, same sh1te over here in Spain ...

I must have about 50 blocked numbers by now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

Happened to me except it was an 083 number

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Happened to me except it was an 083 number

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I got two this morning. Both from 08x xxx numbers, where the x'ed out digits are the same as my own.

Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got one automated message scam from a 087 number

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stove

Getting calls from both 086 and 087 numbers since Friday. When do they give up I'm wondering.? Hard to block them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I got two this morning. Both from 08x xxx numbers, where the x'ed out digits are the same as my own.

Anyone else notice this?

Just posted something similar in another thread.
    4 today mirroring my own number bar the last few digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've had 2 calls from an 049 number, says Belturbet on my phone. Let it ring out, then called it back later to get a message that the number doesnt exist. Strange for a landline number to be doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I had two last week from two different 087 numbers accusing me of using the internet for illegal activities

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

they found you at last.......
    I had two last week from two different 087 numbers accusing me of using the internet for illegal activities

Yeah I got one of those from an 089 number about something being taken out of my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Got 2 calls today from 087 9904848 and 087 9959101. Both start with an automated message, hung up on the 1st nunber, pressed 1 to talk to HSE rep on the second number, where i told her to **** off after she introduced herself

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

got an automated phone call to the landline at work two weeks ago to say that there was a problem with virgin broadband in my area. Virgin don't provide in my area so i said to myself i would talk to them for the craic and see what happens. I spoke to what sounded like an Indian lad for a few minutes before he copped on that i was only taking the piss and he politely told me to stick the phone up my ass!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tornaxx

Nobody ever rings me... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Got 5 calls in the space of 4 hours today. If you answer the call but say nothing then theres no automated message, they just hang up. If you say hello then the automated message starts.

All 5 calls were from 087 numbers where the first 7 digits are the exact same as my own, just the last 3 digits are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The last call I got was from 02039965446.

Don't know where that is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

5 calls today-so far

• Registered Users Posts: 30,294 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I got three 083 calls on Thursday and One on Friday.
    The same automated message saying they were Gardaí Siochana in a strange accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Few of these myself. Most recent from Leitrim; apparently..

I got three 083 calls on Thursday and One on Friday.
    The same automated message saying they were Gardaí Siochana in a strange accent!

Yeah the olde Leitrim accent was it? :P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Pherekydes wrote: »

Anyone else notice this?

This is the new bit for me, up until now easily avoidable 083 calls, now 087 mirroring a lot of my number. I have my number 25 years or so, good addition tot he scam, I answered most of the calls. Have to answer a lot of numbers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Very easy to spoof a number these days.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Very easy to spoof a number these days.

Can I get 80085 as my number do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Can I get 80085 as my number do you reckon?

Ah reminds me of the old calculator days.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’m getting at least 2 calls from Tunisia the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

A different twist on this- I’ve had 2 people (that I don’t know) in the last week contact me to say that they had a missed call from me. I hadn’t rang either of them. Both their numbers had the same prefix and first 3 numbers as my number

Advertisement