Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words no longer used.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

One came into my head earlier, don't know why, but a word used to describe someone who took a good fall or a smack, they got 'lamped'...

Is that a local/regional thing or was it more widely used?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    One came into my head earlier, don't know why, but a word used to describe someone who took a good fall or a smack, they got 'lamped'...

Have heard it in Dublin alright.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

chosen1 wrote: »
    Still going strong in the midlands anyway.
    When I was a lad visiting my relatives in Cork I was a "gorsoon". That's how they pronounced it. I think the French origin may be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭blackbox

Continental quilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Mowdies =head lice

Mottin = going with a girl

Follyin-upper = Tv or cinema serial

latchyco -= rascal

squirt= small person

• Advertisement

Rabbit ears.

Diminuitive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

blackbox wrote: »
    Continental quilt.

candlewick

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wibbs wrote: »
    the "shores" instead of "drains", IE the shore's blocked again, I haven't heard in while. Bowler for a dog was another. Though I think both are/were more Dublin based.

I always call dogs bowlers. Most of my mates would as well. Is it dying out?

I nominate wojus. It’s a Dublin way of saying bad.

“That haircut is bleedin wojus youngfella.”

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Film (now commonly called a movie).

Chemist (now commonly called a Pharmacy). It's probably a reflection of where the industry has gone more than the commonly used name shifting from chemist to pharmacy but....to me chemist conjures up an image of an well seasoned old guy in a white coat and glasses knowing exactly whats needed to sort that itchy flaky sack, invariably often saving you a trip to the doctor for anything that is over the counter. Pharmacy on the other hand conjures up an image of a place more interested in shifting Hugo Boss and 500 ml bottles of coke zero.

Conservatory (now commonly called a sun room).

Match as in rugby, football, hurling match etc (now more commonly called the game).

Solicitor (now more commonly called lawyer for some reason - possibly will become attorney in a few years time?)

Bear with me - so 2002 at this stage!

On my first forays into rural Ireland I was fascinated to see so many towns featured establishments titled 'Medical Halls' which I had known as Chemists.

• Advertisement

Getting the messages

minerals (soft drinks, singular a mineral)

Rock Shandy, seemed to be everything from Club Orange to the canned version of hard drugs. Banned in school and nobody knew why.

rubber johnny

nicks (sports shorts)

meeting a girl, which actually meant eating the face off her

polis

wino

gargling (verb)

making a hames of it

poxbottle

geebag

game ball (as in grand, or alright then)

gammy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Brian? wrote: »
    I nominate wojus. It’s a Dublin way of saying bad.

“That haircut is bleeding and wojus youngfella.”

I’ve only heard country folk, from the midlands, saying that.

The tide is turning…

Wibbs wrote: »
    Probably something of Hiberno English thing, a holdover from older English. So Shakespeare would have said "Fillum" and that was retained more here. In the original printings of Hamlet IIRC it's spelled "Fillum". Press instead of cupboard another holdover from older English, as is shores instead of drains I mentioned earlier.
    Reminds me of safety, pronounced "say-feh-tee". An advertisement on the radio for safety matches way back in '67.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

indioblack wrote: »
    When I was a lad visiting my relatives in Cork I was a "gorsoon". That's how they pronounced it. I think the French origin may be correct.

Surely garsún is Irish for boy and gorsoon is it's anglicisation.

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Could be. Gorsoon was my phonetic spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

spurious

Yep, used to be a very handy one when looking for parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

A bit of a bollox

I’ve only heard country folk, from the midlands, saying that.

I picked it up from a load of inner city lads I worked with in the 90s. I say lads, but they were all 50+

Those lads had some of the most unique colloquialisms I’d ever encountered . I loved it. I wasn’t a real dub to them, being from Tallaght. It was like they spoke a different language. I try to use as many of their sayings as I can even now. I think most are dying out.

“Lanterin Jaysus, youngfella.” As a lead in to virtually anything was my favourite.

they/them/theirs

Is it? How is it different to buchaill?!

It definitely sounds like a derivative of the French “garcon” to me.

A mate of mine from Tipp always uses it. But it’s more like Goossens

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Perambulate (walk about for pleasure, a stroll).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Brian? wrote: »
    I picked it up from a load of inner city lads I worked with in the 90s. I say lads, but they were all 50+

Those lads had some of the most unique colloquialisms I’d ever encountered . I loved it. I wasn’t a real dub to them, being from Tallaght. It was like they spoke a different language. I try to use as many of their sayings as I can even now. I think most are dying out.

“Lanterin Jaysus, youngfella.” As a lead in to virtually anything was my favourite.

One guy I knew from inner city Northside once told me about someone he threatened to beat up with: "I'll burst you" which of course was pronounced: I'll borscht ya". It had a very graphic punch to it.

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    One guy I knew from inner city Northside once told me about someone he threatened to beat up with: "I'll burst you" which of course was pronounced: I'll borscht ya". It had a very graphic punch to it.

I regularly tell my kids "I'll burst your hole with a kick, you little pox bottle".

Having never actually kicked them, they don't take this seriously in any way.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

SpitfireIV wrote: »

I was born and raised in North inner city Dublin and the expression was often used to describe a bad result in a football game"We got fcukin lamped"

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Peepin’ Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

High Jinx (mischief etc)

High Doh (stressed, worried, etc)

You do be 'up to' both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Rawr

Perambulate (walk about for pleasure, a stroll).

Perambulator; a device to transport a child while out Perambulating. Now shortened in later years to "Pram"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In mufti.
    Second hand shop.
    Galoshes.
    Railway station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

You need to go back a bit further.
    ' Garsún' is a borrowing from French 'Garcon' -dating back to Norman times . Probably dates from 13/14th century .
    Interestingly the Gaelic word for child - 'páiste' is likewise a borrowing from N French 'page' around the same time. Bear in mind that the pronunciation of the French word would be nothing like the English 'page' today.It would be sounded something like like 'paw-je'.
    Linguistic history is truly fascinating and sheds light on multiple aspects of human psychology and social organisation.

• Advertisement

Play by mail.
    Penny post \ Second post.

* In London you could send a letter that morning and have a reply by dinner.

Advertisement