Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words no longer used.....

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Criterion. No one now seems to know the singular of criteria.

Thought he was a high up member of our insect overlords :o

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Does anyone say “let’s go for a jaunt” anymore.
    Our Dad used bring us out for a drive on a Sunday afternoon, the only day he wasn’t working, and he always called it a jaunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Phthisis. And yes, it's pronounced as you'd expect.

Looking into our family history at death certificates, my brother found this as the reason for death a bit too often. It's another term for tuberculosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Truth,
    Justice,
    Responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Supper is just another word for dinner usually it's made after 6pm in the evening when people were home from school or work
    I have never heard any Irish person say tea to mean dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Nixer means a job done for cash off the books no tax paid on it. Eg tile a kitchen, install a new cooker

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

words i use but are almost dead!

blaggard
    galavanting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The standard form is Blackguard, but that would not be a common word either.

https://wordwatchtowers.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/blaggards-blaggers-and-blackguards/

The standard form is Blackguard, but that would not be a common word either.

https://wordwatchtowers.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/blaggards-blaggers-and-blackguards/

Great word though for a gouger :)

Susie dents Twitter is a mine of wonderful obsolete words , I’ll dig out a few but one that springs to mind is “fart catcher “

Basically a lick arse , a worker so close to the boss he can catch his fart :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Susie dents Twitter is a mine of wonderful obsolete words , I’ll dig out a few but one that springs to mind is “fart catcher “

Basically a lick arse , a worker so close to the boss he can catch his fart :)

She did an interesting thing on Countdown about "unwritten rules" in English. Why is it Little Red Shoes instead of Red Little Shoes? The unwritten rule is Size before Colour, and there are loads more.

She did an interesting thing on Countdown about "unwritten rules" in English. Why is it Little Red Shoes instead of Red Little Shoes? The unwritten rule is Size before Colour, and there are loads more.

just looking at her twitter now, perfect for ireland!

Flenched: weather that looks like it's going to improve , but doesn't !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    Criterion.

Sounds like the name of a down at heel Australian boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Sounds like the name of a down at heel Australian boozer.

It really is a UK theatre https://www.criterion-theatre.co.uk/

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It really is a UK theatre https://www.criterion-theatre.co.uk/

Lots of things called Criterion in aus, nz, Canada, US and uk.
    Bars, Hotels, cinemas etc. Never caught on here.

Advertisement