Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words no longer used.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

wooing as well

Doing a line

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Do kids say “ekker” for homework these days.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rig out, as in an entire outfit.

I happy that one died, it always irritated me.

I use that regularly because it’s gone

Do kids say “ekker” for homework these days.

No

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wherefore (art thou) - barely heard since Frankie Howard's heyday

• Advertisement

Ish66 wrote: »
    Doing a line

That’s more of a chemical relationship nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ammint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Ish66 wrote:
    Doing a line

Doing a strong line even.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Ammint.

I amn't a fan of the 'correct' standard version of this. I think "amn't" is another of those words that we clung on to in Ireland from that earlier version of English.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

perished with the cold

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

One which might surprise those not familiar with Ulster idioms, is starved/starving with the cold.

https://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/starved-with-the-cold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Huckster is somebody who pushes their wares
    Foldoddle is a thingamejig.?
    Kipeen is a small stick; although being phased out by bigger sticks nowadays

I would always call a junk shop or a shop that sold bric a brac, a huckster shop and my late father in law always referred to matches as cipeens. It's an Irish word.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,928 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ger Canning commentating on the soccerball described Hungary as 'doughty' opponents...
    I think Ger is about the only person still using that word.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I would always call a junk shop or a shop that sold bric a brac, a huckster shop and my late father in law always referred to matches as cipeens. It's an Irish word.

I used to be sent out to get cippeens (small sticks) to light the fire. I always thought it was a word my mother made up.
    Along with "bostook"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ye. An amazing word that has no other, but is no longer used and "you" is used instead, but that makes no sense because you is singular but it can also be used to refer to 2 or more people as a group. Whereas ye is just perfect for it.

I had a fight with a team leader in a previous job of using ye instead of you. Because mainly they were a 'Merican company the yanks had mentioned it apparantly, as they don't think it's proper English. I refused to stop using it. There is no alternative to ye that's just as short and precise!

Ye. An amazing word that has no other, but is no longer used and "you" is used instead, but that makes no sense because you is singular but it can also be used to refer to 2 or more people as a group. Whereas ye is just perfect for it.
    I had a fight with a team leader in a previous job of using ye instead of you. Because mainly they were a 'Merican company the yanks had mentioned it apparantly, as they don't think it's proper English. I refused to stop using it. There is no alternative to ye that's just as short and precise!

I use ye also, it is a gap in the language.
    'You all' perhaps?

Youse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Company keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I use ye also, it is a gap in the language.
    'You all' perhaps?

Oh the yanks love that, ya'll. I refuse to use it when ye is there. Ya'll just sounds so... trailer trash?
    Youse

And no. Never. Rape of the english language there!

Oh the yanks love that, ya'll. I refuse to use it when ye is there. Ya'll just sounds so... trailer trash?

No I think it's a general southern thing, not necessarily trailer trash... think I remember hearing it a lot in Friday Night Lights & Nashville from Connie Britton's characters.
    Probably you have to have the accent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Youse

Yizzers and yousers (which are abominations) if you're a northsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Langer

yis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

yis

"What are yis/youse doing?"

"Get yizzers coats, yis have pulled."

So many variations, so many examples of poor English skills ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Joe cuddy is the name of a singer, I think theres plenty of older people who still use word frock. Zine
    Old word for amateur magazines printed use photocopiers
    made before the web existed usually black and white
    Wireless old word for radio
    Cordless phones used before mobile phones existed
    Standard home phones with no cable
    Webring collections of blogs about a topic
    Eg star trek webring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I particularly hate 'yizzer' (the word). ;)
    riclad wrote: »
    Zine
    Old word for amateur magazines printed use photocopiers
    made before the web existed usually black and white
    In my experience, that was more usually called a fanzine (fan magazine) but sometimes shortened to 'zine'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Bamboozled (confused by).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

riclad wrote: »
    Wireless old word for radio

Both words came into the language in conjunction. To describe transmission and reception using radio waves, and without the wired connection used by telegraphy. The noun wireless was a contraction of wireless set. Some people may remember the term television set as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I love those little regional variations in expression. I'm not from Dublin but the lads who I've heard use it tend to use it partially tongue in cheek and ham the North side accent up a bit when they use it. I recognise I do the same with some old culchie expressions too.

It's pretty important to know what's correct and what's performative.

• Advertisement

If ye think youse/yis/yisser/yizzer are problematic, just be glad we exported one our worst/most unusual you-plurals to the US a long time ago, where it lives on in the Appalachians. Yinz:
    Yinz is the most recent derivation from the original Scots-Irish form you ones or "yous ones", a form of the second person plural commonly heard in parts of Ulster. When standard-English speakers talk in the first person or third person, they use different pronouns to distinguish between singular and plural. In the first person, for example, speakers use the singular I and the plural we. But when speaking in the second person, you performs double duty as both the singular form and the plural form. Crozier (1984) suggests that during the 19th century, when many Irish speakers switched to speaking English, they filled this gap with you ones, primarily because Irish has a singular second-person pronoun, tú, as well as a plural form, sibh. The following, therefore, is the most likely path from you ones to yinz: you ones [juː wʌnz] > you'uns [juːʌnz] > youns [juːnz] > yunz [jʌnz] > yinz [jɪ̈nz]. Because there are still speakers who use each form,[2] there is no stable second-person plural pronoun form in southwest or central Pennsylvania, which is why the pronoun is variably referred to or spelled as you'uns, y'ins, y'uns, yunz, yuns, yinz, yenz, yins or ynz.

In other parts of the U.S., Irish or Scots-Irish speakers encountered the same gap in the second-person plural. For this reason, these speakers are also responsible for coining the yunz used in and around Middletown, Pennsylvania, as well as the youse found mainly in New York City, the Philadelphia dialect and New Jersey, and the ubiquitous y'all of the South

Advertisement