Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Based on the Tipperary turnout of support in recent years playing in Thurles is of little advantage. The brutal, but honest, facts are that we have been terrific at supporting our county on social media but absolutely disgraceful at supporting our team in the flesh. Unless we decide to get off our arses and go support the county then we should keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

there was a bit of noise about it earlier in the week all right , everyone up here knowes it should have been sixmilebridge from day one and left at that

no floodlights in the park is a joke in this day and age but the board want every game played there both club and county as its central to everywhere and draws in bigger crowds from west and north clare , miltown is the best venue in the county but thats like ye brining us down to clonmel on a wednesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Really other then limerick we are not far off anybody. Kilkenny and Waterford's game yesterday was shocking. No fear of lyng repeating any semblance of codys success anyway with them players. Hard to know where cork are and i dont think Clare will be the same force this year. Good start in cusack park and id expect us to be in top 3. After Munster, id have no fear of any the lenister teams.

League semi final is fixed for Limerick next Saturday I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Great test for Tipperary in the Gaelic Grounds cauldron of a Saturday night . Think there's a match in Thomond Park aswell. Should be a good atmosphere around the city.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Munster playing at 5.15, Will ensure plenty of parking issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Minor hurlers go to Shannon tomorrow. Interestingly, only two players from the Cashel and Thurles school teams this year. Think there's three on the under 20s.

Schools teams are under 19 though so it would be the next two or three Tipp under 20 teams which will see the best return from the Thurles/Cashel panels.

Davy trying to twist the knife in Cahill and Bevans:

“When I got this team at the start, they weren’t in a good place and that’s being totally honest with you and we’re building and we’re getting out of it in a big way and I can tell you that.

"I know that the beating that was inflicted on them (in the final round) by Clare last year, it was tough to come back out of that place. They were doubting themselves and there were certain other issues that were bothering them and I think we’ve come a long way, but I do think that there’s a road to go yet.”

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭1373

Has Davy ever left a team in a good place , silly man to be slagging a tipp man and the players man . Doubt many Waterford players would have much negative to say about liam either

• Advertisement

Two stories 5 years apart.

In 2012 Davy Fitz took charge of Clare, in 2017 John Kiely took charge of Limerick.

Both inherited young squads who would win that year’s under 21 title and which had won it two years previously. In all cases they were dominant champions in those seasons.

Both installed Paul Kinnerk as the hurling coach. Both installed Joe O’Connor as their S&C trainer.

Both had an unremarkable first season which in no way hinted at what would come the following season.

Both won the All-Ireland ahead of schedule in their second season with vibrant talented exciting young squads, hailed as a breath of fresh air who could potentially dominate for years to come.

One manager made the most of those circumstances, the other didn’t. One became jealous of the praise Kinnerk received, the other didn’t. Kinnerk left one (though he was convinced to come back after clear the air talks for Davy’s final season).

I’d be adamant that there were another two All Irelands at least in that panel of Clare players. Even taking 2013 into account I fully believe he underachieved with what he had at his disposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

If Clare were so good and had the potential to win "two more All Irelands at least", and had youth on their side, how come they have won nothing since Fitzgerald finished post-2016? They won a League and All Ireland under him, nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Tipp and kilkenny were the two best teams at the time and both had off seasons so Clare were actually lucky to win the one all ireland they did.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Because unlike Limerick they were mismanaged at a key stage of their development.

I used to work with the brother of a member of the Clare panel under Davy. He told me a story once about the brother who was in UCC. In 2014 himself, the brother and a number of his classmates finished their summer exams on a nice hot day and they headed in to a shop to buy ice cream cones. The Clare player bought a bottle of water while the rest of the group got their 99's. The lads started asking him over and over why he wouldn't have an ice cream for the day that was in it and he kept telling them he couldn't be seen in public having an ice cream. If it got back to Davy he would have been pulled up on it. The Limerick management team brought a literal ice cream van to the Gaelic Grounds for the players after a training session in the middle of the 2018 championship. He had plenty of other stories about what it was like on that panel under Davy but that was one of the more ridiculous ones.

Davy was a bit of a tyrant. His treatment of Davy O'Halloran and Nicky O'Connell was a disgrace. This from a man who loves to play the bullying card when he feels slighted. They were disciplined and isolated from the rest of the panel for the crime of being seen on a night out (note, not seen drinking, just being seen).

Putting back on my players hat , for me the thoughts of sharing a dressing room with Davys style of lunatic behaviour would turn my stomach. The likes of Cody , sheedy , O shea , Kiely, Lohan , Cahill would all bring a good relaxed and calm atmosphere to a panel /dressing room

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Glenomra

As a Clareman, that observation is spot on. People love blaming Davy but a young talented Clare team won a league and an all Ireland under his management. In the six years since we have won Nothing!!!! Anecdotes about Davy's style of management are humorous and so so plentiful but they don't explain Clare's failure to win a single competition since he left.

But this doesn't address my question. Clare have had six seasons free from tyranny. Plenty of time to do something meaningful if they were as talented as you claim.

This is the team that deserves to play at the moment. I think there will be changes for championship though. I might be wrong but I think Limerick will expose a few positions here.

It certainly is two opposite teams in terms of personnel and style and hopefully that will make it a good game

It does. You just don’t understand how player development works.

There'll be two changes announced before the match anyway. Hegarty and Hayes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Is the TJ Ryan listed among the Tipp management Garryspillane’s TJ? I see Tony Browne listed as coaching support too, I thought he was originally appointed as a selector? Sounds like he has less of an involvement by that title.

Apologies if it’s been mentioned before, I’m not a regular follower of the thread.

I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed Browne was a selector but he is part of the management set up. Coaching support is a fairly senior role.

It's Clonoulty Rossmore’s TJ Ryan. He's been with Liam Cahill at minor, under 20 and under 21 level. When Clonoulty played in the county finals in 2010 and 2011, TJ would have been the manager.

Hopefully the tipp supporters will decide to actually go to support their team this year!

Ah, old yarns about guys eating ice-cream does not address anything of any substance.

I wonder if this game is in jeopardy with all the rain

RIP to Gerard McCarthy. Commiserations to Conor McCarthy and family.

Couldn't really take anything positive from tonight. Tipp give everything for 35 minutes and right up there, then limerick open up and completely clean us out . The same thing has happened many years now . Do we over stretch ourselves starting off and have nothing left for 2nd half , is there something needing adjusting here ? .no goal chances and a poor spread of scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 89tipp91

The second half was dispiriting but I think there are definitely positives to take from the game, Tynan and O Connors performances in particular. The challenge will be to bring the intensity of the performance over the 70 minutes and create more goal chances to beat this limerick team

Likes of Galway, Kilkenny and Cork are likely to find it difficult too against Limerick when they play like that second half showing

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭farmerval

Against Kilkenny and against Waterford at half time we changed what had worked well in the first half and sat a little deeper and allowed the opposition half backline dominate us. Don't know if that happened tonight. Limerick definitely flooded their half backline and totally dominated us from there in the second half. Our full backline looked very poor tonight, if enough long ball went in we'd have been slaughtered.

Stakelum is a free giving away machine, he really needs to smarten up his tackling. Bonner was very poor tonight, I don't know if he won a ball. Limerick are a million miles ahead of everyone else in terms of re adjusting their team to max out their shape. Coughlan and Barry Nash in the second half went to town on us.

Had we to win tonight and possibly win a league it might have given us an inflated view of where we are. Tonight was a good lesson about where we are, lots of lads facing levels of intensity that they've never faced before. Really really good lessons.

This league has done a lot for us, lots of players exposed to a higher level of hurling. How many will sink or swim is the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭naughtyboy

In the second half limerick intensity was just at another level. No other team in the country will live with that. Limerick are professional and they play as such, that's not sour grapes it's just the facts.

Cahill will need time to build a panel which can hopefully match limerick. I don't think we are anywhere near that at moment. But compared to last year we are a lot better prepared

Getting out of the province will be tough and if we can do that and maybe make a semi final it will be a good year that Can be built on.

Advertisement