Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

We will be far more competitive than last years humiliation in Semple. That is a certainty.

Personally don't think we are much behind anybody in Munster other than Limerick, just had a really poor backroom setup last year which made it look that way. Expect a puck of the ball to be the difference in a lot of games in Munster this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I have no idea where the optimism is coming from lads, we are miles off and you can't expect a new management team to simply flick a switch, most new management set ups don't reach their full potential until year 3. Davy being an obvious exception, but by year 3 with him they are sick of him. Tipp are far more likely to not win a game than they are to come out of Munster If I'm brutally honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

He did but then got injured vs Limerick. Seemed quite serious at the time

We aren't miles off. We had a terrible backroom setup last year. Our fitness was a disgrace. Tactically a mess. The players hadn't a clue what they were supposed to be doing half the time. Despite that we were very unlucky not to beat either Waterford or Limerick last year.

We've gone from that to a guy who won 2 underage AI's with some of these players and got Waterford into an AI final. Lads who have the benefit of having being introduced by Bonnar last year, even if it was into a mess.

Liam Cahill literally took Waterford from no wins to an AI final in his first season. Sheedy came in and won an AI in his first season after we got knocked out in Munster the year before. Michael Ryan won an AI in his first season. All three of those managers, their best season was their first. This 3 year project shite is the biggest myth in hurling, just a way to relieve pressure from bad results in year 1 and 2 if the results are in fact bad.

We have nothing whatsoever to fear from Waterford/Cork/Clare.

You are being incredibly selective there with your management selections - Sheedy won his first AI in 2010, his third year in charge, Michael Ryan was not a new management team and was simply a continuation of the previous regime. If you want to go back further Nicky English won his AI in this third year as did Babs Keating. Liam Cahil also oversaw the spectacular downfall of Waterford hurling where their only win was a fortuitous victory over the worst Tipperary team in 40 years.

Can you name me this Tipperary 15 that have nothing to fear? I can think of about 5 players that could be deemed up to scratch so I have no idea where anyone is getting 15 from.

• Advertisement

Tipp got what they deserved last year but 2022 wasn’t a reflection of their true standard, that happens from time to time. You’d have to say the same of Waterford last year as well. Limerick and Clare were the only sides who performed in Munster.

The game at the Gaelic Grounds demonstrated what potential Tipp have. Tipp bossed that game from around the 10 minute mark to the hour mark. I (Limerick man) was very concerned because Tipp had us but ran out of gas, superior fitness saw us peg it back and pull away in the end.

If Tipp get the conditioning right and if Cahill can implement the running game there are enough good hurlers in the county to make them a threat once again.

But make no mistake - Tipperary out hurled Limerick for the majority of that game last year. Not many can say that in the last number of years. The hurlers are definitely there.

Tipp were very good for the majority of the Limerick game but it was very much the exception.

We are away to Cork and Clare in the first two games, its hard to see us getting anything there and we will be effectively out after two games if both those go to form.

I agree with you on Cahill, but you have hit the nail on the head there about 'implement the running game' that won't/can't happen overnight and is a long term process.

Don't get me wrong, Cahill is very much the right man and there are plenty of talented players, but 2023 will simply come to soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Clare and Cork away is a stinker of a draw for Tipperary. No matter how well.Cahill has them.going I don't see them winning those two games. There's psychological damage done from last year . That won't be fixed until a championship run materialises.

The biggest concern for me around Tipperary is the last 15 minutes in games. Maybe it's fitness ,maybe it's attitude. Tipp can be 8 points up and teams get a slight run on them and literally Tipp fold like a cheap suit. That's the biggest worry I have for Tipp.

Cork aren't good.

Why is it that Tipp will have psychological damaage from last year but Clare won't after being completely humiliated in Croke Park? Kilkenny just went man for man against them and obliterated them at every single position on the pitch in one of the most one sided All Ireland semi finals in donkeys years.

How would the final 15 minutes be a concern under new management? We were the least fit team in Ireland last year. Won't be the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well obviously it will be better this year,could it be any worse. No I'm afraid this lack of support is not something that just crept in last year. I remember being at a league match against Kilkenny in Thurles a few years back and being outnumbered by them. Also around that time we had the first championship match in croke Park between cork and tipp and we were outnumbered 5-1 !

• Advertisement

We have no shortage of social media supporters but ask them to bother their arse going to a match and it's another story. And worse still the county board officials are doing nothing to address it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I agree with you Clare could have psychological issues after collapsing last year in Croke Park and we saw Limerick dominate that Kilkenny team later.. I wouldnt think that'll have an affect on what ll happen at home to Tipperary though.

Well we don't really know how fit Tipperary we're last year do we. We are guessing. Tipperary were 10 points up against Limerick in the Munster final a few years ago and again collapsed in the 2nd half. They can't seem to stem the bleeding when it starts. Cahill may not be the answer to this issue but I think he ll tackle it because Waterford have collapsed under his watch aswell. I think Tipperary have a great chance of getting out of Munster this year if the heads are right.

I'm still waiting for this Tipperary 15 that are as good as anyone outside of Limerick??

Is that the same Clare team that beat Tipp by 8 points pulling up?

Clare left their championship behind them in the Munster Final, a performance for what its worth that Tipp are miles off being able to emulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

Was thinking of this lately. Had a feeling he was due for retirement. A great servant.

A great footballer to watch. Lung bursting runs and no little skill.

Is this a joke?

Which other teams are filled with elite calibre players?

Which players on the Cork team are miles ahead of ours? We have advantages in some positions, they have in others. Acting like we are miles behind is embarassing waffle,

Paddy Power have Cork at 9/1 for the All Ireland and then us, Clare and Waterford all on 14's.

Boyles have Cork at 10's, along with us and Waterford, and Clare at 12's.

But Pogue Eile has us miles behind those 3. Give me a break.

I see some posters who have burned up their welcome on their own county threads are showing up here 🤣

• Advertisement

Haven't even started the league and people are demanding a championship 15. Relax.

If you are referring to me, might I suggest you check page 1 of this thread, was posting here on my counties thread long before you!

Anyone willing to name a Championship 15 that is as good as anyone apart from Limerick, anyone?

Cathal Barret, Ronan Maher, Jason Forde, Seamus Kennedy, Dan McCormack (the good version) Noel McGrath (50 mins max) after that I'm struggling.

No set Goalkeeper, no fullback, Craig Morgan injured, Brian McGrath and Bryan O'Mara look potentially very good but already we are talking about a back 7 with 5 inexperienced players.

We haven't had a settled Mid-Field since God knows when, Cadell, Browne et al all have a lot to prove, Flynn and Connors who have been tried there multiple times are injured and not part of the panel, same with Barry Heffernan.

Jason Forde is probably the only forward without a serious question mark over them, whether it be injury wise, form wise or simply not good enough. I have been impressed I have to say with Sean Ryan.

Either way you dress it up, Cahill is going to have to integrate 6-8 new players at least, which he will and that's what's needed, but anyone thinking that you can do that and get out of Munster in year 1 is away with the fairies.

Paddy power paid out the night before on Hillary Clinton beating trump in the election! They also paid out the night before on Brexit being rejected! So I'd take PP's odds with a grain of salt.

That's a no then.

Tell me, how do you rate a counties chance without giving consideration to you know, what the actual team might be. Are you expecting Cahill, Bevans, Browne and Paidi to tog out?

I'd say that a team of people whose literal job it is to compile odds which reflect the chance of a sporting outcome, across 2 seperate companies, probably have some clue of a rough state of affairs.

But nope, according to some fool on the internet, Tipp have no chance, are miles off Cork/Waterford and Clare - just disregard the plethora of All Ireland medals at Senior and Underage level, disregard the Managers pedigree with Underage All Irelands, a senior all ireland final appearance, and a league.

Sure don't Cork have elite players 1-15. Not a squad chock full of lads who our lot beat in two seperate underage finals (under our current senior manager?!), and Cork under a new manager too. But new managers only count as a negative when it's us (which is especially odd as 12 months ago our guy was the best or 2nd best in the country, now he is seemingly a washed up joke?). When it's Cork just ignore the new manager and pretend their 1-15 is some sort of elite Harlem Globetrotters level squad who we couldn't possibly contend with.

And Clare, a panel full of superstars over there. Certainly nothing that Tipp could compete with, nope not a chance. Don't forget about the serial winners down in Waterford, accumulating AI medals like penny sweets. Their 1-15 is just too good to be true.

What I'd really love is a breakdown of the other counties XV so we can see where this gigantic disparity exists? After all, there's only one person trying to claim that a panel of Senior and Underage All Ireland winners are miles off other panels? That's the most incredible thing in this thread. Just keep stating that the others are miles ahead without showing their panels or first 15?

People who aren't idiots, like those people in the bookies who set prices and odds, because their job depends on getting it right, understand that there is plenty of talent in Tipp's panel, just as much as in Clare/Cork/Waterford and if Cahill can get things right (which given his pedigree is a good possibility) there is absolutely no reason why we wouldn't be able to get out of Munster. And they understand that looking at last year as some sort of form guide when we were managed by somebody completely out of his depth, doesn't hold up to scrutiny. They also understand that managers are capable of coming in and having immediate impact, as plenty have since 2016 (usually Tipp men, and coincidentally, the man in charge right now). I quite look forward to the Championship, obviously because we will do well in it, but also because complete morons are going to be outed as such. Until then, lets just wait and see. Unless of course we are going to get the XV's from all the other counties which ours couldn't possibly contend with.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 challengerbell

Think some of the posts here by people not from Tipp show more fear than fact at the prospects of us being competitive this year.

What could give us some hope this year?

We have a minor all Ireland and 2 time U20/21 All Ireland winning manager, with 3 years senior intercounty experience, who has brought a Waterford side at their lowest to a Munster and All Ireland final. A manager who has has always prepared his teams to be ultra fit and to work hard. 2 things missing from our side last year. Those two aspects can already be seen in the side this year.

We have a good age profile through the team with most younger lads having gotten experience last year. Experiences players in their prime and added to them we have an older cohort of some of the best hurlers to play the game over the last 10 to 15 years, and thats not just for Tipp, these guys were some of the best in the country. We will have, with Cork one of the youngest squads in the country this year but filled with experience.

Senior player wise (32+) we have

Noel McGrath, 3 time all Ireland winning, 4 time Munster winning, 3 time all star and a player and widely regarded as still one of the best to be playing now.

Bonner Maher a 3 time all Ireland winner, 5 time Munster winning, 2 time all star.

Seamus Callanan, a 3 time all Ireland winner, 6 time Munster winner, 4 time all star, Hurler of the year and all time record championship goal scorer from play.

They are our senior influence. As for experienced players in their prime.

Ronan Maher, 2 All Irelands, 2 Munsters and 2 All Stars

Cathal Barrett, 2 All Irelands, 2 Munsters and 2 All Stars

John McGrath, 2 All Irelands, 2 Munsters and 1 All Stars

Dan McCormack, 2 All Irelands, 2 Munsters

Michael Breen, 2 All Irelands, 2 Munsters

Jason Forde, 2 All Irelands, 2 Munsters

Seamus Kennedy, 2 All Irelands, 1 Munster

These 7 players have an average age of below 29. Outside of those 23 All Ireland and 28 Munster medals there are the younger players, with lots of underage success and some even with All Ireland experience.

Jake Morris, only 23 still with an All Ireland in his back pocket and an eye for goal, Bryan O'Mara set to be one of the best backs in the country, Conor Bowe a big strong skillful forward who until injured last year against Waterford was causing them serious trouble. Mark Kehoe just ready to explode but still with 6-25 in 28 appearances for Tipp in league, Munster and All Ireland. Young mobile and skilful midfielders in Stakelum, Brown and Cadell. And guys like Brian McGrath and Pauric Campion, Gearoid O'Connor, Alan Tynan showing they are ready to take the step up to top players.

There is loads to be optimistic about and more that I didnt mention. Im probably forgetting loads here. One thing is for sure, when we go out to face Waterford Clare and Cork this year we will be doing so with a clear game plan, an extremely high work rate, levels of fitness to match any of the others and a team laced with experience at the highest level and success those other 3 counties could only dream of.

People talk about scarring from last year, what about Waterfords, Corks and Clares scars from their failures last year? Waterfords Munster campaign, Corks toothless performances in the league final and against Galway. Clare no show against Kilkenny? All pretty stark failures as well.

What about Corks last 18 seasons, just about to break our famine record. What about Waterfords failures in 18, 19, 23? No munster since 2010, no All Ireland since the 50s? What about Clares capitulation last year, their 25 year wait for Munster success, their failure to progress after 2013, their over reliance on a 34 year old makeshift defender? Clare are an injury to Conlon or Kelly away from doing nothing this year.

Are we without issues or weaknesses, of course we arent. But all 4 of us have our issues, so to think we haven't a hope of getting past 2 of these 3 this year is ridiculous. Let anyone outside limerick name their equivalent senior, experienced and younger players and lets see how they compare to who I have named this evening. I think I put down over 20 names there.

Thurles CBS v Cashel CS

Sunday February 5th 2023

FBD Semple Stadium, Thurles

Throw in - 1:00pm

Extra time if necessary, result on the day.

Referee: Eamonn Stapleton (Limerick)

A great footballer and a great soccer player with St Michael's one time.

• Advertisement

Advertisement