Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your local charging for a pint now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Local was charging 4.80 for Guinness/smithwicks and 5.30 for macro lagers, they stuck 20 cent on each so no major hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Cashel, Tipp, July 2021

Feehan's, Main street = 4.70 for Guinness, this pub is a touch upmarket, with outdoor seating downstairs and upstairs, and out the back

Fox's, Main street = 4.50 for Guinness

Foley's, Friar street = 4.50 for Guinness, 4.90 for pint bottle Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭garrettod

One thing that's certainly proving true from this thread - is the difference in prices between the cities and the rest of the county.

Sure, rent might be more in the cities, possibly staff costs too, but that's got to be counteracted by the much higher volume of sales in the city pubs, compared to the rural pubs.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

City insurance and rates (tax) are significant factors also, but there is also price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

€4.50 for a Guinness or Smithwickes in Newtown Inn Maynooth and 5er for the lagers cheapest in the town by a good distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Its a sad state you can't even buy two pints for a tenner in some country pubs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Granite Head

€4.30 for a Guinness in a few pubs around the Erris peninsular last weekend

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

It's an even sadder state that you can barely buy one pint, for a tenner, in some of the Dublin pubs!

Best we can do, is blackball those that try to rip us all off.

Thanks,

G.

I am nearly sure that Guinness is 4.80 in the Swagman, Sligo this week.

I'll have to check my notes, but I think it was 4.40 in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Might have been said earlier 6.10 for coors/Heineken in the Manhattan in Raheny and 6.55 in malahide! Ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Think I paid €6 in Fowlers for a Heineken. Felt sick paying it. Guessing Gibneys are charging 6.55?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Haha..... Mrs Mc Carthy & myself wandered out for a few ( in mallow ) on Wed night...... I call a Guinness & bottle of Miller, casually throw a €10 into table....... haha, you should see the look I got......... turns out I was €1.10 short!!!!!!!!!! Twas in around €9.70/ €9.80 pre pandemic

That place The Manhatten has been taking the p1ss for long time - I didn't mind it as much, when you got the extra hour's drinking at the weekend,n but that's obviously gone now.

As for Gibneys, same thing...

Vote with your feet - Harry Byrnes, The Sheds, The Pebble Beach, The Beachcomber, The Ceders etc are all nearby.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Oh certainly intend to! We had 1 and left. The girl who was serving us was embarrassed when she said 12.20!

east Co. Galway

Screenes of Guilka, Guinness = 4.20 (this is the pre-COVID price, I'd say)

Two pubs in Abbeyknockmoy, Guinness = 4.50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

Not local, but we were up in Leopardstown races last week. They were selling bottles of Rockshore, Heineken & Bulmers for €7 a bottle!

Nice to see them taking the opportunity to rip people off!

Thanks,

G.

Foleys, Castle street, Sligo

Beamish = 4.00

Guinness = 4.30

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Naas lager up from €5.10 to €5.50 and Guinness up from €4.80 to €5.20

ordinary pub not a hotel, now they were never good value but it’s hard to justify, I’m just not having my ‘flyer’ anymore so costing me much the same just with a pint less onboard leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alcohol action Ireland would love you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭enricoh

500ml or 330ml? Ones bad bad the other criminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

I was out for a few drinks in Galway last weekend for the first time in around 18 months. Hughes Bar on Woodquay - think it was 4.40 a Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

330ml and they sold out of Heineken & Bulmers by the end of the 4th race so people were stuck with Rockshore which was just twisting the knife!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

Ah memories, I spent way too many nights in Foleys in the early 2000s when in college in Sligo.

At those prices, I'm tempted to relocate to Sligo!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Limerick City at the weekend, mostly drinking local beer but Beamish was around 4.20 or 4.30 most of the places I drank it.

Went to get a 3 Beamish for 10 euro deal in a pub near the hotel (Alfie Earls), but I didn't think it was worth the deal since it was likely the Guards were about to raid it at any moment, given how loose **** was in there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Was back in Dublin from England the other week visiting friends and family. paid 5.70 for a Guinness in my local in north Dublin. Pure scandalous price. Over again this weekend for a meal and drinks in Dublin, dreading what extortionate I'll be paying for pints!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭prodsc

I know its not a pint but was charged €9 for pint and a glass of Heineken down by the river in Sligo. A pint is €5.20 so €3.80 for a glass is a bit steep!! I know a glass always more than half the price but....

Advertisement