Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News part 4 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just because he's black it doesn't make it any different.

As I said I have black friends, quite a few, and the ones that I talk to regularly who had heard about it were very upset by it.

You do know that he was using it in a racist manner calling a white man the n word. That's racism no matter what way you look at it.

He's a disgrace. I hope Du Plessis beats him. That'll mean he never has the title again because by the time he gets a shot Bo Nickal will be champion. That'll happen inside the next 18 months.

The world is trying to remove that word from use.

You simply have no clue about racism and what all that he said meant to people who do know about racism and who've been called and hurt by it's use..

As regards Masvidal or any fighter, you strike an opponent who is still moving, not one who is out cold with his eyes shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,973 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyone else just absolutely bored with the UFC these days? Most of the divisions are paper thin and there isn't any exciting fights to make.

I'm not even talking about star power, I'm talking about actually good challenging stylistic fights.

Dana doesn't have anymore small rival promotions to buy and take their fighters.

You know the well is bone dry when Sean 'Fight Night' & 'UFC on ESPN' Strickland gets a shot at the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

There was a time when I watched every single fight. Fight Night cards had decent headliners and you'd take an interest in them.

I didn't even know there was a card on last week until the day of the event.

PPV Prelims would have proper up-and-comers and/or ranked fighters and recognisable names before moving onto a main card where Top 10 guys fought before a title fight.

I remember going to UFC 178, which was originally headlined by Jon Jones v Gus 2, replaced by Jones v DC before Jones pulled out. But the card was stacked.

Cowboy v Alvarez

McGregor v Poirier

Tim Kennedy v Yoel Romero

Amanda Nunes v Cat Zingano.

Prelims features Dominick Cruz, Jorge Masvidal, Wonderboy Thompson, Kevin Lee, Takeya Mizugaki.

These days prelims are full of lads who won on the Contender Series and are fighting for a sandwich and a packet of Tayto. Sometimes their opponent might as well be a sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

UFC Facebook page posted a video the other day of Forest vs Rampage and instant smile on my face. They just can't recapture the magic of those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭US3

With Dana whites contender series running for the next 9 weeks we can expect to see alot more drivel added to the roster.

F*cking hell, Dominick Cruz on the prelims right in the middle of vacating and recapturing the Bantamweight title. Mad haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

There are better fights on DWCS than a fight night card these days

I see Dos Anjos is fighting tonight.

I wonder how things would have worked out for him had he made it to Red Panty Night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

Delighted to see Kiefer Crosbie make it to the UFC, while I'm not sure he can compete at the highest level, his fights were always good to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'll miss the Korean Zombie a lot. One of my favourite.

Only two I really like now are Alexander Volkanovski and Jon Jones.

Obviously love to see Irish fighters do well but I'm not going to be tuning in to watch anybody else from now on. It's just not worth it, too much drivel as said above.

15 fights since. Only 3 of them on PPVs. Lost 8. Bad timing to break a foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Bad timing with drug tests turning up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,544 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Not sure ?? he doesn't have a prayer against a half decent opponent , delusional to think other wise,

Real lack of star power these days in the UFC

To many cards with to many fighters that they haven't really built any big stars,

HW: Jones

LHW : No one

MW: Izzy that's it

WW : no one ,

LW : Charles maybe ?

FW ; VOlk , Max at a big push ,

BW . O Malley ,

There all the stars that's very thin on the ground, Like is there any massive fights to be made right now ? ,

Even there big names don't stand out like they used to,

Rampage, Lesnar, GSP , Chuck,Tito , Francis, Bj Penn, Conor,Rousey , Anderson , Nick Diaz, they donlt make them like they used to ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

UFC are a victim of their own methods here. They try so hard to keep control and to make the brand the star that they never really go full-whack into trying to make guys big household names.

McGregor was lightening in a bottle. With Ngannou they could've done it but they spent their time fighting with him over money and contracts.

I think O'Malley is really their only "star" and I don't even think he's a star yet. He has the potential and will be pushed but I don't think there are many people are who single-handedly selling PPVs these days

Yep, barely watching now. Jones vs Miocic the only really big fight before 24. Charles vs Islam II I suppose.

Of the top 20 PPV buys in MMA & boxing history McGregor has fought in 9 of them.

Even though Jon Jones is the biggest name they have left, he has never crossed one million buys.

I was thinking Volk was probably their biggest star these days but Islam vs. Volk only did 560,000 buys.

Chimaev looked like he was going to be the next big thing, he had three fights in three months back in 2020, including two fights in ten days, but since then he has has had three fights in two years.

They've only ever had 3 big stars in that regard. 1 million PPVs + big. Ronda, Lesnar and McGregor.

Think theres been 19 PPVs that have done over one million and all but three of them have featured those 3 fighters.

• Advertisement

I have my own thought on Chimaev , i reckon he may have had a little ban

We would've heard about it no? Not unusual for fighters to fight a lot less when they start moving up to PPV main cards. Better opponents, longer camps etc.

The 3 fights in 2020 totalled less than 5 minutes in the Octagon. 4 min 38 seconds to be exact.

Does anyone here think this is a controversial statement?

I think Volk has a far superior resumé.

Khabib missed weight multiply times & never moved up a division he was a bully,

Volk & even Conor dared to be great not Khabib ,

Go watch his final weigh in there is no way he made weight that night,

Super LW fighter but can't be anywhere near the pound for pound list when you have guys who actually go and prove it ,

The Khabib is the all time #1 P4P chat when he retired was insane.

They won't announce a failure if you contest it until its resolved ,

The UFC's hottest property just disappeared after the Holland fight its bizarre,

He had massive trouble with weight in that fight too, Also it didn't make it out of the first round & he didn't take a single shot so not like he needed to rest up ,

With Kiefer and McKee signed agaín youd have to wonder why Paul Hughes isn't getting a go?

**** Colby and his MAGA gimmick but fair **** to fighting at his weight.

Absolutey nuts to do that to your body hours before you fight for your life. Any advantage gained in size is surly cancelled out by dehydrating your brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,082 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There’s definitely an optimal amount to cut, beyond which performance suffers. But either push it too far looking for that optimal limit. Or simply fall short when diet to fight weight.

Advertisement