Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

General MMA Chat/News part 4 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

  • 03-06-2021 7:32pm
    #1
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Axwell


    The old thread was nearing 10,000 posts..as you were.

    Usual forum rules apply as per the charter.

    Link to old thread


«13456714

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭ Zero-Cool


    I'm quite enjoying Steve-O's podcast, GSP is on the latest one. Haven't listened to it yet but mma might come up :)



  • Registered Users Posts: 34,363 ✭✭✭✭ eagle eye


    I see Poirier is ahead of Oliveira and Yan ahead of Sterling in the official UFC p4p rankings. I agree in both cases but I don't ever remember seeing two champions rated lower than non-champions at their weight before.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭ mailburner


    I think Paul wins this pretty handy myself

    Woodley will do well to win a round, does have a chance of a ko but
    he probably won't be much of a threat should it go past two

    I'd imagine he'll train like a demon for this but I doubt it'll matter.

    It would be great if he got paul outa there in one if only to slow down the jake paul circus


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭ Rjd2


    mailburner wrote: »
    I think Paul wins this pretty handy myself

    Woodley will do well to win a round, does have a chance of a ko but
    he probably won't be much of a threat should it go past two

    I'd imagine he'll train like a demon for this but I doubt it'll matter.

    It would be great if he got paul outa there in one if only to slow down the jake paul circus

    Id agree.

    However if Woodley was to win, interesting to see what he would do next.

    Obvious thing for him would be to fight the other Paul, but would Dana come back with an offer due to his increased profile?


  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭ conor678


    Lads how good a boxer is this Paul chap? I dare say he's not short of a bob or two so has good trainers and is committed to it but just curious to see how far he'll go of he continues with it all?

    If he beats Woodley I wonder who's next and if he keeps pushing to fight mma stars, all be it ones on the way out, surely he'll come up against better strikers then askerin and woodley


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭ but1er


    after the face off i have no faith in woodly beating him.

    Paul put an offer to him beat me ill double the purse or lose donate the purse.

    didnt respond and instead ill beat you and paul said stick your money were your mouth is..

    bottle job from woodly if he was any way confident in beating him he would of backed himself.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,363 ✭✭✭✭ eagle eye


    This is a boxing match between some idiot and an MMA fighter.
    Why are we discussing it? It's not MMA.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭ Tazzimus


    eagle eye wrote: »
    Why are we discussing it?

    A question that applies generally to any mention of Logan or Jake.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins


    eagle eye wrote: »
    Why are we discussing it?

    Because.....
    eagle eye wrote: »
    This is a boxing match between some idiot and an MMA fighter.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,363 ✭✭✭✭ eagle eye


    MrStuffins wrote:
    Because.....
    But it's not MMA.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins


    eagle eye wrote: »
    But it's not MMA.

    I assume you've never posted about Conor McGregor's boxing match v Floyd Mayweather then?

    It involves a current MMA fighter and former UFC Champion.

    It definitely fits into the "General MMA Chat" bracket.

    If you don't want to chat about it, then don't.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,363 ✭✭✭✭ eagle eye


    MrStuffins wrote:
    I assume you've never posted about Conor McGregor's boxing match v Floyd Mayweather then?
    I did a bit on.the boxing forum iirc.
    MrStuffins wrote:
    It definitely fits into the "General MMA Chat" bracket.
    No it doesn't, it's a boxing match.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭ EagererBeaver


    New thread off to a great start.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins


    eagle eye wrote: »
    I did a bit on.the boxing forum iirc.

    Erm..............
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Conor McGregor figured out a way to get paid huge money and imo he deserves huge plaudits for that.

    He has helped UFC too because his fight with Mayweather has increased the awareness of the sport.

    In a couple of years I'd expect to hear the top mma fighters talk about how their earnings increased massively because of Conor McGregor.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Mayweather is far better than McGregor in a boxing ring for sure but Conor has serious ko power and a phantom type punch.

    If Floyd had went for it earlier he might well have succeeded but he could also have ended up on the canvas and with his first loss.

    What makes Floyd the best fighter in history,, imo, is his preparation and intelligence in the ring. The gameplan was smart, everybody knows that McGregor tires quickly so it made sense to be careful and take your time in this fight.
    To state as an outright fact that Floyd would have won early if he wanted to is not only unrealistic but basically insulting to both fighters and their teams.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    He has taken too many punches to the head in his career.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    People are in bed with an alarm set for the fight, they don't want to sit through all the drivel that is the undercard for this fight.


    Back in your box pal.



    Back on topic, I just don't agree that Paul should be a favourite here. Woodley is not Ben Askren. I think Woodley wins here and i'm considering a hefty wager on it too. He's better than Evens in places. I just think Woodley will have too much for him.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,363 ✭✭✭✭ eagle eye


    MrStuffins wrote:
    Back in your box pal.
    Back in my box?
    So that thread was in the MMA forum, never knew that and really it shouldn't have been, it should have been on the boxing forum.
    And I didn't say with certainty that I never posted about it in the MMA forum, I knew I discussed it in the event thread which I assumed was in the boxing forum.
    I'm sure I also discussed it on the Conor McGregor thread which is probably in this forum also but that thread is about McGregor.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭ mailburner


    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Id agree.

    However if Woodley was to win, interesting to see what he would do next.

    Obvious thing for him would be to fight the other Paul, but would Dana come back with an offer due to his increased profile?

    He'd never be more popular than if he beat paul but he still won't be
    popular and I'd say Dana is completely done with him no matter how
    he wins this


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭ Rjd2


    mailburner wrote: »
    He'd never be more popular than if he beat paul but he still won't be
    popular and I'd say Dana is completely done with him no matter how
    he wins this

    I reckon he would look for a rematch even if he won or a fight with the brother.

    It would most certainly pay the bills.

    Yeah he is done at UFC and while Bellator might be tempted to take a punt, he'd also struggle over their also.


  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ PatrickDoherty


    Tyron Woodley has beaten some of the best strikers in mma history from Paul Daley, Condit, Lawler, Till, and Wonderboy and hes fighting a youtuber who has never fought anybody bar an ancient wrestler with a broken hip that couldnt box eggs in his prime I'll be having a decent lump and only for the chance of a fix I would be going 4 figures here incredible betting price.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Axwell


    Eagle Eye and MrStuffins..I don't recall either of you being promoted to mod so less of the back seat moderation and while you are at it less of the abuse and bickering, card for each of you for the nonsense and any more of it and you are on a break.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,451 ✭✭✭✭ Alf Veedersane


    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Back on topic, I just don't agree that Paul should be a favourite here. Woodley is not Ben Askren. I think Woodley wins here and i'm considering a hefty wager on it too. He's better than Evens in places. I just think Woodley will have too much for him.

    I don't think Paul is terrible but it looks a bit like boxing by numbers, what I have seen.

    Not saying Woodley is a particularly good boxer but I think he will have a better chance of setting up his punch.

    If he lands, we'll see how good Paul's chin is.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭ Homelander


    but1er wrote: »
    after the face off i have no faith in woodly beating him.

    Paul put an offer to him beat me ill double the purse or lose donate the purse.

    didnt respond and instead ill beat you and paul said stick your money were your mouth is..

    bottle job from woodly if he was any way confident in beating him he would of backed himself.

    This is kinda daft. Whatever about how likely one side is to win any given sport event, there are far less guarantees in combat sports specifically.

    Why would Woodly gamble unnecessary when he's already got a massive payday in the bag no matter what happens?

    Using it as some sort of justification that Woodley knows he will lose is ridiculous. Why would he risk the biggest payday in his career even if he personally felt there was only a 10% risk.

    It's the smart choice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭ MrStuffins


    Homelander wrote: »
    This is kinda daft. Whatever about how likely one side is to win any given sport event, there are far less guarantees in combat sports specifically.

    Why would Woodly gamble unnecessary when he's already got a massive payday in the bag no matter what happens?

    Using it as some sort of justification that Woodley knows he will lose is ridiculous. Why would he risk the biggest payday in his career even if he personally felt there was only a 10% risk.

    It's the smart choice.

    And if Woodley really wanted to bet, he's better than EVS on some of the exchanges.

    He'd get better value if he just put a bet on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭ Ush1


    If Woodley takes it seriously at all he should KO him.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭ mailburner


    It's 4/5 paul 11/10 woodley now

    I hope woodley keeps shortening, you'll probably be counting your
    money on paul if this goes past three rounds

    paul on pts at 9s not half bad value imo


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,580 ✭✭✭✭ Rjd2


    mailburner wrote: »
    It's 4/5 paul 11/10 woodley now

    I hope woodley keeps shortening, you'll probably be counting your
    money on paul if this goes past three rounds

    paul on pts at 9s not half bad value imo

    No chance that this fight has stupid rules ala Tyson v Jones and Paul v Floyd?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭ mailburner


    Rjd2 wrote: »
    No chance that this fight has stupid rules ala Tyson v Jones and Paul v Floyd?

    Nah, same as askren paul


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭ John_D80


    but1er wrote: »
    after the face off i have no faith in woodly beating him.

    Paul put an offer to him beat me ill double the purse or lose donate the purse.

    didnt respond and instead ill beat you and paul said stick your money were your mouth is..

    bottle job from woodly if he was any way confident in beating him he would of backed himself.


    Bottle job?? Absolutely not. The kind of money at stake there means a lot more to Woodley than it does to Paul.

    This isn't Paul first huge payday and it wont be his last either.

    This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Woodley. Hes not going to jeopardise is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭ Chairman Meow


    Finished the Edmond video. Fair warning, its 34 effing minutes long lol



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭ Chairman Meow


    Jaysus, the Edmond video has gotten a bit big. Blew up my subscribers to over 1000 and its getting about 1k views every day! Still small time compared to most other channels but im happy with it seeing as how i only ever did this as something to keep me occupied over lockdown :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,451 ✭✭✭✭ Alf Veedersane


    Jaysus, the Edmond video has gotten a bit big. Blew up my subscribers to over 1000 and its getting about 1k views every day! Still small time compared to most other channels but im happy with it seeing as how i only ever did this as something to keep me occupied over lockdown :D

    Before you know it, you'll be fighting one of the Paul brothers :pac:


Advertisement