Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Covid the worst thing to happen in your life / will be the worst thing to happen

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

worst thing that ever happened in my life was and still is Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Covid - 19/lockdowns is without a doubt the smallest thing that has happened in my life.

At the same time, it has been a sad time and a potentially life changing time for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Working from home for a year? Covid has been pretty great for many people. I still have not heard of a single person who has gotten it or died from it. The Irish nanny state is over-reacting as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Are you normally rezident under a rock or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Rezident wrote: »
    Working from home for a year? Covid has been pretty great for many people. I still have not heard of a single person who has gotten it or died from it. The Irish nanny state is over-reacting as usual.

I feel like working from home would be good if you could have a normal life outside of work.

During the winter months it felt like being in a prison working from home then being at home I the evening/weekend not so bad now with more more places open and the weather better but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Most individuals were not severely affected by Covid but due to it society as whole will be affected significantly. Housing situation will be worse (if you want to buy), longer waiting lists in hospitals, pressure on mental health services, relationship breakdowns, business closures, job losses, education issues. .. All together way more seismic stuff than personal tragedies which affect people individually but not society as a whole.

This thread would be more suited to the Covid forum. Moving it over. Please read the charter before posting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks BB, thread re-opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Some have made a profit from covid . Working from home saving a fortune as nothing open or to do during lockdown . Not the worst thing to happen for some people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Housefree wrote: »
    1 in 2 people get cancer, factor that in

The number is closer to 1/3. 50% of those will die from it (1/6 of total).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

So anyone slightly skeptical of the lockdowns that weren't as lucky as you having a "marvellous" time is a tinfoiler yeah ?

So what you're saying is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

I had a horrific life up until I was 21. Covid, restrictions etc was a walk in the park. The toughest thing was not attending a funeral. I do think anyone that found Covid was one of or the worst things to happen them, they must have had a pretty good life and I feel, perhaps envious of them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Nope. Covid didnt have a whole lot of impact. Quite enjoyed working from home and no commute.
    Outside of the first two months of it and January and Feb of this year, I didnt pay much heed to a lot of the nonsense restrictions and was largely able to meet family and friends almost as often as normal.

One of my parents died from covid and the other was very ill with it, so yes it has had a huge impact on me and my family.

Comments like "If you think covid is the worst thing that can happen in life you're in for a surprise" show a real inability to put yourself in someone else's shoes. For some of us, covid really was the worst thing that has happened in our lives so far. Belittling that just because you didn't suffer personally is very short sighted and lacking in empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Flying Fox wrote: »
    One of my parents died from covid and the other was very ill with it, so yes it has had a huge impact on me and my family.

Comments like "If you think covid is the worst thing that can happen in life you're in for a surprise" show a real inability to put yourself in someone else's shoes. For some of us, covid really was the worst thing that has happened in our lives so far. Belittling that just because you didn't suffer personally is very short sighted and lacking in empathy.

Sorry for your loss.

I took those comments to be directed more towards the people who were largely unaffected by covid and not people like you who have suffered a family loss. Others have lost jobs.

But many have just been asked to stay inside and work from home, it’s these people that are in for a shock if covid is the worst thing to happen to them.

Covid sucked for me pretty badly.

My wife caught covid in work when she was 7 months pregnant and she got fairly sick. I then caught Covid from her and ended up in ICU for a few days. I got so sick that I nearly died and recovery is still ongoing 5 months later.

Both my parents are still alive, so covid is the worst time of my life so far (I'm lucky I guess), I'd imagine in the future there will be many worse moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Manach wrote: »
    The Covid itself no. The over-reaction by government and society which seems to have lost its historical knowledge base on how to deal with such outbreaks from times past, as the precedent is set for civic rights to be sidelined.

Some statement. I would say plenty of governments underestimated situation at the start and kept at it for another while.

Back to OP, nope covid is not the worse, at least for me.

The worse thing so far was, when mother of our two boys decided to drink herself to the point she was asked to leave the house, after good few attempts to help her and all savings spent on it for number of years to give her chance and help, she stopped contacting her kids. No news since at all.

Of course covid affected our lives, but not the worse thing. All healthy and hope we keep it that way.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss.

I took those comments to be directed more towards the people who were largely unaffected by covid and not people like you who have suffered a family loss. Others have lost jobs.

But many have just been asked to stay inside and work from home, it’s these people that are in for a shock if covid is the worst thing to happen to them.

The poster didn't direct those comments to anyone in particular though, just made a very insensitive blanket statement.

Advertisement