Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Covid the worst thing to happen in your life / will be the worst thing to happen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

For me, it was 4/5th worst thing if even. I found dealing with it a walk in the park compared to other **** I've been through. Would put a parents suicide and dealing with other parents mental health issues and alcoholism before it. Covid was actually good for said parents alcoholism as it closed down the pubs and no one was doing anything.

Expecting her to get worse again as things reopen.

Thats just my perspective, the break in drama was so needed. I empathise it has been so difficult for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Covid isn't even in the top 10 worse things to happen in my life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The disease itself no. The effects of the restrictions have been the worst thing to happen to me the sheer boredom and mental health impact has been awful for me. It feels like all opportunities for young people have been removed during this. We've been told to turn our lives upside down for a disease most of us probably aren't gonna die from.

It has been very difficult for me but certainly not the worst thing to have happened in my life. For others it has no doubt been hell. I don't like comments that assume a person is lucky if all they have to worry about is the pandemic. It's ignorant and arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

No it’s not the worst thing. No impact to my income and WFH means I am around for my son more instead of commuting.
    Lockdown wasn’t fun and at times things felt hopeless, but I have been through worse.
    Sitting outside Temple Street ICU so they could try stabilise my son when he was14months is definitely the worst experience of my life. Thankfully he pulled through even though things were looking bleak.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    If you think Covid is the worst thing that could happen in your life your in for a big surprise.

How can you know the personal experiences of other people? Horrible attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

I'd gladly have Covid restrictions last forever than live in most African countries in poverty, a lot of countries in Asia with their current problems, troubles in the north, having abusive parents, knew I'd never get cancer or a serious illness, lose everything and go homeless, develop a drug addiction, family members going through a serious illness and dying, getting disabled etc.

You don't know OP how lucky you have it. Covid restrictions are a breeze in the park compared to what goes on around the world and what could happen in your life.

A lot of people in the boom now in negative equity. They'd gladly live through five years if restrictions to get out of it.

The restrictions didnt particularly bother me,like my own company and space anyway

Other than worrying that my folks/loved ones might get sick etc from it....been a walk in the park tbh

previous generations were conscripted to fight in wars,all i was asked to do,was stay home,wear a mask and sanitise if going into a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

The worst thing to happen to me in my life so far - No! The loss of my Dad was the worst and still is and then followed by my 2 miscarriages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Watching loved ones fall down the black abyss of depression. Redundancies unable to make ends meet, and not a hope of a new job with economy in ribbons. And of course, losing family to cancer, and the helplessness of it. Things I’ve experienced far worse than Covid imho. And these are trivial compared to what struggles other people have endured during their lives. If you think Covid is the worst thing that happened to you ( unless you lost someone dear or are suffering long term effects) then you’ve lead a sheltered life.

• Advertisement

I'd gladly have Covid restrictions last forever than live in most African countries in poverty, a lot of countries in Asia with their current problems, troubles in the north, having abusive parents, knew I'd never get cancer or a serious illness, lose everything and go homeless, develop a drug addiction, family members going through a serious illness and dying, getting disabled etc.

You don't know OP how lucky you have it. Covid restrictions are a breeze in the park compared to what goes on around the world and what could happen in your life.

A lot of people in the boom now in negative equity. They'd gladly live through five years if restrictions to get out of it.

Yes but you need to use a bit of context. Just because someone is going through sh1t doesn't mean it's okay because someone else is going through more sh1t than you. It's all relative and depends on what people's experiences are.

Also if you live in Africa or some other third world country and grew there you wouldn't know much different and you'd be used to it. It would be home and all you know just like Ireland is for most people here. People from Africa would likely get a similar culture shock if you plonked them in Europe as you would plonking a European in Africa.

screamer wrote: »
    Watching loved ones fall down the black abyss of depression. Redundancies unable to make ends meet, and not a hope of a new job with economy in ribbons. And of course, losing family to cancer, and the helplessness of it. Things I’ve experienced far worse than Covid imho. And these are trivial compared to what struggles other people have endured during their lives. If you think Covid is the worst thing that happened to you ( unless you lost someone dear or are suffering long term effects) then you’ve lead a sheltered life.

What if you were made redundant because of covid or suffer from depression because of covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

It's been awful in some ways but great in others, as crass as that sounds, and of course it's easy for me to say when I didn't experience any losses due to or during covid. Living with my OH, far away from all our friends and family and dealing with mental health issues made the year really difficult. I'm someone who really values "my people" and it was a long year of feeling very alone, even now I feel socially really weird and anxious about my various relationships. On the other hand, due to my OH now permanently working from home, it means we are finally able to move to where we want to be living, around our close ones and I am ecstatic about that.

It might be high up on my list of worst things but that's a mark of my privilege in life really.

Losing my mother to Covid had a big impact, but I also lost any faith I had in humanity and I'll probably never recover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Not by a long shot. Serious illness, bereavement and turbulent family dynamics all easily dwarf the pandemic in terms of effect on my life. The pandemic has certainly been hard at times but for me, no, I’ve been through way worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

GT89 wrote: »
    What if you were made redundant because of covid or suffer from depression because of covid?

Well to quote you; that’s on them.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Well to quote you; that’s on them.

Which is worse an 85 year old dying with covid or a 25 with their whole life ahead of them committing suicide? Seriously get a grip of reality.

Which is worse an 85 year old dying with covid or a 25 with their whole life ahead of them committing suicide? Seriously get a grip of reality.

You tell me, you’ve obviously put a value on each individual’s life.

And just for reference, suicides fell by 20% in 2020 so lockdown potentially stopped some 25 year olds from committing suicide.

That’s good news, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,197 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mariaalice wrote: »
    If you think Covid is the worst thing that could happen in your life your in for a big surprise.
    This is pretty much spot on imo.
    I have had worse things happen in my life than covid up to now. Seeing my folks twice in well over a year has been tough, as has not seeing friends or travelling. Not going on honeymoon. But hey will get over it :) things are now improving pretty quickly.

There have been some positives as well, saved a serious amount of money, lots of walking with the dog. Plus I have generally been really happy working from home, to have a mix going forward will be lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mosii

Losing My mother, 3 years ago,then my father 3 months later, covid is tough ,for those who suffer loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,622 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No more than most people on that it’s not been as good as most of us hoped 2020 would have gone. The only thing that will stay with me is because of COVID I stayed away from my grandmother more than I normally would(I didn’t live that far away from her) and then she died in December just gone, which wasn't great and COVID restrictions made the whole funeral process even ****tier than it would have normally been.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Not even close to the previous recession and the current housing crises which combined have basically destroyed my chances of ever owning my own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,494 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I hope you have the life your expecting if you think Covid is the worst thing that can happen.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    You tell me, you’ve obviously put a value on each individual’s life.

And just for reference, suicides fell by 20% in 2020 so lockdown potentially stopped some 25 year olds from committing suicide.

That’s good news, right?

Where's the stats to back that one up? Clearly the powers that be have not done a cost benefit analysis of lockdowns.

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

Where Does Covid stack up as being the biggest impacting event of your life to date / will be the biggest impacting event to take place in your life?

Right down the bottom

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Two worse events, which I won't go into...one was years ago, one was as a result of covid.
    It's not the worst thing that has ever "happened" to me but it ranks up there as a period in my life that I don't ever want to experience again.I am not coming out of this the same person that I was in February 2020, and that is because of the lockdowns resulting from Covid and how this country has managed it - it has absolutely influenced my view on many things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭baldbear

Covid is a blip in my life. For some people it has taken loved ones & robbed precious times with others.
    Worst thing was been told a close family member had 3 weeks left due to cancer. And guess what? That **** is going to happen to me and my family again such as the nature of life.

Where's the stats to back that one up? Clearly the powers that be have not done a cost benefit analysis of lockdowns.

Here you go. Provisional but so are the 2019 figures so a like for like comparison.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/mental-health-services/connecting-for-life/publications/nosp-briefing-cso-may-2021.pdf

Not much effect luckily, has been more of an annoyance and an inconvenience.

Twitter and the pandemic has really highlighted the amount of people in the country I have zero respect for though, from politicians and media to the ordinary punter....

• Advertisement

Covid is a mild illness that can be deadly if allowed to enter nursing homes and sick people in hospitals. Certainly not the worst thing to happen though.

Advertisement