Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Is Covid the worst thing to happen in your life / will be the worst thing to happen

  • 03-06-2021 7:55am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭ magic_murph


    Where Does Covid stack up as being the biggest impacting event of your life to date / will be the biggest impacting event to take place in your life?


«13

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 24,255 ✭✭✭✭ Cookie_Monster


    Minimal tbh, 6 weeks of lockdown and pretty much normal since. Granted a few things are slow to turn up or in short supply but in general its not been a big impact compared to say building a house or getting married or moving 18,000km to the other side of the planet


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ Andrewf20


    Last year with the 2 of us working and looking after young kids when the crèche was closed was a ball of hardship. June 2020 nearly broke me. But it was temporary and in hindsight wasn't anywhere near as hard as some people have it.

    The weather was very good which was a blessing. Covid wasn't the worst thing, and I can see bigger challenges in the future too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭ mariaalice


    If you think Covid is the worst thing that could happen in your life your in for a big surprise.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭ Sky King


    Pretty minimal. I don't have a family, so no kids in school or any of that I am not cooped up in an apartment and my job was hardly affected at all.

    I have genuine empathy for those who had tougher circumstances than me and regularly reflected on how lucky I was to have had such an alright time of it. I had an incredibly sh*tty recession - I am so so glad I didn't have to go through anything like that again.


  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭ FutureGuy


    Where Does Covid stack up as being the biggest impacting event of your life to date / will be the biggest impacting event to take place in your life?

    Not close.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭ Housefree


    1 in 2 people get cancer, factor that in


  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭ 85603


    Other peoples misfortune aside, covid has been fecking marvellous for me personally. Got a nice long break. It put a huge dent in our long stretch of increasingly intense hyper-consumerism. It indirectky kicked the flu virus up the hole, which may help to protect my now vaccinated parents. It slapped some egos in the face, made big heads see what effect incontollable circumstance can have.
    And it trolled the right types, and exposed tinfoilers by the thousands. Those tinfoilers who have stopped digging will now have to face the light.
    There were personal downsides too, but good overall.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭ meeeeh


    It depends what someone's personal circumstances are. I suspect my neighbour would be still alive if his heart issues were flagged earlier and he wasn't first self isolating at home before going to hospital last May. People whose businesses were slowly going under and it was nothing they could do. People who lost their job and couldn't find another one and so on. Or family members stuck in the house with abusive person. Those who needed mental health or other health services and so on.

    It was not the worst time in my life, not even close but that doesn't mean it wasn't really hard for some people. I didn't enjoy it though. I haven't seen my parents for well over a year and it's extra hassle.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭ McGinniesta


    COVID is pretty tame when you consider how bad things can really get in life.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    No, considering I almost died in 2016, was then diagnosed instead with a slightly less grim illness then originally thought that I’ve managed to kick and kill through hard work and rehabilitation.....on behalf of myself and others as well as a tonne of kindness...

    Covid has been a walk in the park really.

    It’s required good amounts common sense and discipline....good judgement to keep myself and others away from high risk situations and ignoring the “ ohhh come on we haven’t seen X person in months, just ten minutes “ ... “ well the X charity could appreciate a hand, it will be distant “....spiel we’ve been accustomed too all be it that’s calmed down in the latter weeks seeing as there is light at the end of the tunnel.

    My cousin died but he was terminally ill with cancer before covid... two other cousins got it from the other side at the start, both work in education, one being an SNA but young and well enough to recover at home...

    Covid has impacted how we / I live.. restricted my enjoyment, quality of life, there has been more stress but it’s not the worst thing to happen in life.... not so far and it won’t for the remainder be...


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,333 ✭✭✭✭ seamus


    I'd take another decade of Covid lockdown if it meant I could have my Dad back.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ banie01


    For some Covid has led to loss of loved ones or serious illness.
    They have had it probably as bad as it can be for a person.
    It's only when you lose someone during Covid and have the 10 mourners and near empty graveside that you realize just how important the ritual of the funeral here in Ireland is.
    Leave aside the religious aspect, I mean the community coming together to say goodbye and support the bereaved.

    Others, well Covid has restricted their social life, ruined their engagement with school or college, obliterated the traditional "work" model and that takes a lot of adjusting.
    Some people don't like change and have an aversion to adaptation. It plays out as the world against them.
    There's a cohort of college students entering 2nd year that have never met their classmates.
    Then there's the original 1st years who were abandoned for semester 2 of their 1st year.

    How bad something is, is very subjective.
    For an awful lot of people the last 15 months are so are the worst, most isolating and jarring time they have ever encountered.
    So for them, it really has been the worst time ever.

    There's no need for a dick measuring contest or Joe Duffy misery porn. No need to tell them that it's only the worst their life has been...
    So far!
    With a Homer and Bart meme ;)

    I think what there is certainly a need for tho?
    Is a little more empathy, compassion and consideration before we dismiss the feelings of others regarding the pandemic with an air of "They don't know what real pain is".

    They do, they mightn't know our pain.
    But everyone knows theirs, and if we can just perhaps appreciate that aspect of the post pandemic person?
    It might not all have been for no gain other than public health.


  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭ SnuggyBear


    The effects of covid will be felt for years, its only the beginning.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭ monkeysnapper


    Can I just ask everyone who's reading this thread to play a little radiohead in background .... I just think it'll add to your experience


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Manach


    The Covid itself no. The over-reaction by government and society which seems to have lost its historical knowledge base on how to deal with such outbreaks from times past, as the precedent is set for civic rights to be sidelined.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭ Smee_Again


    My dad had cancer in 2019, my FIL had a mini-stroke recently, my partner suffered a miscarriage a few years ago and I recently watched Independence Day 2 for the second time, all of these were worse than covid.

    Others have definitely had it tough though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ banie01


    Can I just ask everyone who's reading this thread to play a little radiohead in background .... I just think it'll add to your experience

    Done!


  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭ SnuggyBear


    Manach wrote: »
    The Covid itself no. The over-reaction by government and society which seems to have lost its historical knowledge base on how to deal with such outbreaks from times past, as the precedent is set for civic rights to be sidelined.

    Yep, the world is a much worse place now and it has nothing to do with how deadly covid is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭ Strumms


    Manach wrote: »
    The Covid itself no. The over-reaction by government and society which seems to have lost its historical knowledge base on how to deal with such outbreaks from times past, as the precedent is set for civic rights to be sidelined.

    There hasn’t been an over reaction. What historical knowledge base ?

    In the past there haven’t been outbreaks such as these , nothing remotely on the scale of covid.

    Even if there had have been, dealing with a GLOBAL pandemic in 1886 vs 2020... socially, logistically, medically, every way... there is simply fûck all to reference that could have enabled a better reaction... ‘let’s do what they did in 18xx’ is not the way

    Civil rights to be sidelined ? Sideline away ! I’d rather people have civil rights tempered then their ability to live tempered....

    It’s been a bit of a challenge but unfortunately you get ‘non team players’ in every situation in life...work, sport, social, whatever, covid, non covid....

    If you told 1000 people that if they ALL kept their mobile phones switched off for 24 hours they’d win 10,000 each but anyone, one person, switching it on, everyone looses everything.... what do you think happens ? Of course nobody wins... there will be some fûckhead that just want to say something quickly to x person..missing y person, worried about z person... and their selfishness wins out... same with covid, with some people ‘selfishness won out’. A big price though... cost more than x grand.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭ looksee


    banie01 wrote: »
    For some Covid has led to loss of loved ones or serious illness.
    They have had it probably as bad as it can be for a person.
    It's only when you lose someone during Covid and have the 10 mourners and near empty graveside that you realize just how important the ritual of the funeral here in Ireland is.
    Leave aside the religious aspect, I mean the community coming together to say goodbye and support the bereaved.

    Others, well Covid has restricted their social life, ruined their engagement with school or college, obliterated the traditional "work" model and that takes a lot of adjusting.
    Some people don't like change and have an aversion to adaptation. It plays out as the world against them.
    There's a cohort of college students entering 2nd year that have never met their classmates.
    Then there's the original 1st years who were abandoned for semester 2 of their 1st year.

    How bad something is, is very subjective.
    For an awful lot of people the last 15 months are so are the worst, most isolating and jarring time they have ever encountered.
    So for them, it really has been the worst time ever.

    There's no need for a dick measuring contest or Joe Duffy misery porn. No need to tell them that it's only the worst their life has been...
    So far!
    With a Homer and Bart meme ;)

    I think what there is certainly a need for tho?
    Is a little more empathy, compassion and consideration before we dismiss the feelings of others regarding the pandemic with an air of "They don't know what real pain is".

    They do, they mightn't know our pain.
    But everyone knows theirs, and if we can just perhaps appreciate that aspect of the post pandemic person?
    It might not all have been for no gain other than public health.

    There is no doubt that what you say is true, but the thread title is not, 'how has it affected everyone else', its 'is it the worst thing to happen in your life?'

    There has been huge discussion and information about how it has created issues of all kinds, from death of loved ones to other/mental illhealth. This is simply looking at another angle. Answering does not negate all the stuff you have pointed out.

    For me, no, far from being the worst. Be glad to see it over though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭ meeeeh


    looksee wrote: »
    There is no doubt that what you say is true, but the thread title is not, 'how has it affected everyone else', its 'is it the worst thing to happen in your life?'

    There has been huge discussion and information about how it has created issues of all kinds, from death of loved ones to other/mental illhealth. This is simply looking at another angle. Answering does not negate all the stuff you have pointed out.

    For me, no, far from being the worst. Be glad to see it over though.

    I think that post was more a reply to: 'if you think this is bad then wait...' type posts which just assume anyone having hard time is some drama lama.


  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭ Hyperbollix


    Not even close. No affect on income, no one close to me died since March last year, I don't have kids and I'm generally an introverted person anyway.

    I found Covid to be a bit of a breather from the endless invites to things, the need to be places and to see people that normal life entails. There was something comforting in the simplicity and familiarity of the lockdown. Now, I'm not sorry we are (hopefully) putting it behind us, but it was far from the worst thing ever from my perspective.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ banie01


    meeeeh wrote: »
    I think that post was more a reply to: 'if you think this is bad then wait...' type posts which just assume anyone having hard time is some drama lama.

    Precisely, but knowing me I clearly waffled a bit too much ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭ thomil


    Let's see, I lost both my parents, my apartment, and my job over little more than a year, ending in 2018.

    So for me personally, the current situation is not an issue at all. I have a new job that's been keeping me busy over the lockdowns, a decent paycheque and a whole lot of perspective. Things could be worse, far worse, and I feel truly sorry for anyone who has suffered a loss as a result of this crisis. It's hard enough to take under normal circumstances.

    Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!



  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ stlucia2021


    Yeah, it's been rough, ended up moving back to Ireland for the first time in 8 years, lost my job overseas which payed double to what I'm on now, lost most of my investments and thousands and thousands of Euro poorer with no accurate direction, back working for minimum wage since September, double the hours to what I was doing this time last year for 1500 less a month, none of the Covid stuff makes sense at all, not really fair that I have to take a massive paycut and lose a lot because a Chinese man decided to eat an infected bat!


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭ dulpit


    I think that on individual levels, a lot of people will say no. I say no, our son had to have open heart surgery a few years back when he was only 18 months old, that's way worse.

    But on a national and societal level, it was the worst thing to happen to the country for many a decade, and hopefully it will be the worst for generations to come too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭ Princess Consuela Bananahammock


    Certainly wasn't the worst - I got a shtilod of stuff done that I wouldn't have otherwise - all depends on how you use the time.

    Also, if you think it was bad, just be thankful it wasn't an ebola-style killer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭ freshpopcorn


    I don’t think Covid is the worst thing to happen in my life or most people’s lives.
    However I do think it changed peoples lives and how they lived them.
    Not being able to visit family/friends.
    Not being able to socialise be it the pub, mass,bingo, sport.
    If you were into holidays or going places.
    Not being able to visit sick or dying relatives.
    Being left alone in hospital when you were unwell.
    Not being able to attend funerals, weddings.
    If your young the chances of meeting somebody seems reduced/more difficult or even general friend making.
    Education how successful are class online compared to the real thing.
    Businesses/hospitality closed and some places not reopening.

    You do wonder how people would feel if they were told this after noon that this is life for the next 10/20 years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ TP_CM


    It's the best thing that ever happened me personally, if I'm talking about just me in isolation. I now work from home permanently, and instead of spending my mornings with my face in some stranger's armpit in the Luas, I get to read/play games with my young daughter until 8:58am. I get loads of cooking and cleaning done during the day too, so I have more time with her in the evening. I'm eating healthier, and I'm also saving a ton of money. It's a pity it came on the back of such a massive human cost though.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭ Hector Savage


    85603 wrote: »
    Other peoples misfortune aside, covid has been fecking marvellous for me personally. Got a nice long break. It put a huge dent in our long stretch of increasingly intense hyper-consumerism. It indirectky kicked the flu virus up the hole, which may help to protect my now vaccinated parents. It slapped some egos in the face, made big heads see what effect incontollable circumstance can have.
    And it trolled the right types, and exposed tinfoilers by the thousands. Those tinfoilers who have stopped digging will now have to face the light.
    There were personal downsides too, but good overall.


    So anyone slightly skeptical of the lockdowns that weren't as lucky as you having a "marvellous" time is a tinfoiler yeah ?


Advertisement