Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

Was there at Christmas and February. We used to fly with Lufthansa before then, but we've since gotten a furry canine friend, who Lufthansa refuse to fly back into Ireland although they will gladly fly him out. 🙄

So we've had to switch to KLM. Dublin check in was a total disaster. They checked in both morning flights at the same time with the result that they closed the early flight (ours) before everyone was checked in and we still missed our onward flight to Belgrade. Christmas wasn't easy for the airlines with all the staff getting Covid and Schipol was a ****-show at the time with loads of flights cancelled. After a couple of failed attempts, we eventually made it via Rome. Dog not impressed.

In February they cancelled our flight and it took a lot of threatening before they would rebook us on the other flight that morning. It took off from Dublin, somewhat optimistically, and we were one of the last planes to land in Schiphol before the airport was closed due to Eunice. One of the few times a pilot deserved the landing applause, wife nearly broke all the bones in my hand on approach) Overnighted in a budget Ibis which was ok. All flights ok after that.

Notwithstanding all of that, I prefer Schiphol to Frankfurt and I think even Munich. But via Zurich is better as long as you don't have to buy water. KLM are not as organised as Lufhansa ("One of ze vest airlines in ze vorld", Dieter proudly informed us when a flight was cancelled) and always seem to be winging it a bit. That being said, they do sometimes give out extra sandwiches and coffee and mini muffins which helps.

At BG, no checks regarding vaccination status, but it might be different for stranci. The airport is still undergoing a bit of a facelift out the back and the car park is a mess. If you want a decent guy to hire a local car from, PM me. Avoid Marina in Avis at all costs. Or buy the standard rate taxi ticket from inside the airport and have all the taxis at the top of the queue ignore it. You might get lucky if you wander down the queue and start cursing them as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

Thanks for the info.....so no problem when you arrived in Nicola Tezla Airport re vaccination certification? When I was last there in Sept 2021, it sure was a big issue with them, maximum 48 hr validity of PCR test + Vaccination Cert. Was not so easy to do, considering test time duration, and flight times. It worked Ok that time, but its not something I look forward to. So if all this regulation is finished, great news!!!

But for sure, I wont take any flights that only give me a little over an hour transfer time, minimum, 2 hrs in future. For the travel, its not a problem as I will be picked up by friends. But as for car rentals / taxi's in the Arrivals building......in one word... BEWARE.

As for the City and Country and the People, its fine, I love going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

They're not gonna bring back testing for entry to Ireland are they ? over the fearmongering media screeching that we need masks back..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have a 10 days booked at home, due to fly in Wednesday. I've not had Covid and I'm coming from the UAE which is open and safe.

Really second guessing now if I should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The idea of catching it, and it's very likely to happen, and being stuck in my room in Ireland is not very appealing. And I need to get back here for work! I've been home twice during covid and managed to avoid it both times but there was still some level of care being taken at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

But if you don't test yourself for it when you're over here, then you won't have to stay in your room 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

AFAIK you don't need to quarantine anymore, and the reporting by the media is pure fearmongering ... cases are going up sure, but not translating much to hosp. also BA2 seems even milder than omicron.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The €29 ones from Gosafe48.ie served us well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Yep. The trip to the US cost us a combined needless €180 extra cost. We paid €89 each for PCR tests based on faulty information that they were mandatory for entry to USA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Blut2

To be fair the entry requirements for the US are out there and easily findable within 2 minutes on Google. The very first result is from the Irish government and states antigen tests are acceptable:

The US government's own websites all say the same very clearly:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html

If you didn't check for yourself before going the responsibility is entirely your own.

And there's even a US travel thread on boards in the travel section!

Anyone know if Thailand are due to relax their pre and post testing anytime soon.

Want to book and can live with an antigen before boarding but the thought of testing positive in a foreign country and having to isolate for the holiday puts me off.

What’s putting me off is the prices of everything. Is everyone else seeing this? Airbnb’s and hotels all over are substantially more expensive than before Covid….it will be literally impossible to travel as much as I did before the pandemic. I just cannot believe that the prices we are seeing now all over Europe and the states (don’t know about SE Asia) are sustainable in any way whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

Post edited by johnire on

This is day 10 of my LA trip. The prices are steep in the states this time for sure. Cheese cake factory restaurants are about 75% higher than Dublin prices on comparable eateries. Same with TGI Fridays. Petrol is running at half our prices however it’s still the most expensive I’ve ever paid in the states for car fuel.

Thankfully I’ve an Airbnb 3 bed villa hired from the same Scandinavian host I’ve used for the last 20 years and he was very fair. $1500 for 10 nights. Woodland Hills area so it’s very competitive price.

Can balance things out by purchasing designer clothes as they’re running a major savings here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

The travel industry is trying to push for further relaxation. I feel the same as you do on testing positive somewhere particularly with this variant.

I’m very much looking forward to Thailand getting back to normal as I’ve family based there.

It’s getting easier to gain entry now with only antigen required preflight however you’ve still to stay at a sha ++ hotel for 1st night to await your PCR test taken post arrival to chosen Thailand airport.

Additionally you’ve a very large amount of forms to fill out pre departure along with insurance requirements.

I’ve heard of tourists being potentially infected while on public transport (someone on board has tested positive) and they get pinged on their mandatory Thai travel app to go straight to hospital and hit with crazy overnight bills (regardless of test results …. Just assumed to be infected)

Its all a business over in Thailand since this started. Example,,,,, you face a €100 fine if your medical mask is not fitted properly walking on the outside streets.

I find this guy the best source of Thailand info. He’s an Irish guy from co Meath who is living near Phuket. Always updates on covid rules daily.

https://m.youtube.com/results?sp=mAEA&search_query=thai+expat+daily+show

That is really helpful. Thailand is firmly off the travel list until it goes back to normality. That sounds like a stress machine and the antithesis of having a relaxing holiday in the sun.

Yep very helpful info.

Definitely not booking until things are relaxed. As someone else said there isn't a lot of value in Europe or US this year as I think demand is so high as people are dying for holidays.

Makes you cry when you compare to the likes of Thailand.....of only for the bloody testing restrictions. If they ended today I'd be booking something there tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Going on my stag tomorrow after two years of waiting, i'v been absolutely **** it all week that I'd catch covid this week and have to miss it,

24 hours out and felling great fingers crossed its the same in the morning,

Unfortunately 2 lads already victims of the red line since Monday ,

I had it in February and am hoping that me done but even if i do catch it while away enjoying myself i don't care , its time for life to move on ,

Only hope of Thailand returning to normal is their competitors reopening and “living” with covid , eg Vietnam , Philippines , Cambodia, Bali etc ….. unfortunately they all seem to be hindered with an unreal / over the top reaction to covid. . It would be a very clinical holiday experience to go to any of them atm.

That is wise advice. But will need to think of where in Europe for this year and book something.

Yep, wouldn't normally do packages in Europe but buying flights and accommodation separately is looking pricey. Plenty of great deals in April and May presumably to drive demand but come June onwards its a sky rocket.

Looking at Cassidy Travel who have a semi decent search engine. Ussd them before for further afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I've friends out in Thailand at the moment, their first stop before travelling around the rest of Asia.

They're loving it, its been pretty normal bar mask wearing in some places for them. Good weather and plenty of tourists around they say.

They were a little worried about what it was going to be like before going given the reports of restrictions etc but they're saying on the ground its not as bad as its being made out to be.

I'll probably head out to them in July for a while.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I find Tui good for packages, especially if you search by dates of their own flights. As it gets nearer they need to fill the plane regardless. Used them last Summer.

Got lucky this year and booked flights in January now 3 times the price for same flights. moving around during the two weeks so was able to pick up some decent accommodation at a good rate too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

Live in Singapore, going to the Rosewood Phuket for Easter had become a bit of a family tradition. So delighted to be going back this year. Not phased by any of the travel requirements, even with travelling with 3 munchkins under age 5.

Hi Stephen. I’ve a brother in Thailand atm too. His reports ally with your friends experience. My bro tells me that there is an air of unknown in the air at all times. As if restrictions could be reimposed at any moment and bars etc told to shut in a moments notice. He’s been there a couple of months. He does reckon July / August the entire country looks likely to be back to almost normal in his opinion.

Could be a safe bet location at that stage and certainly a very affordable and fun holiday in comparison to US or European rip off countries

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Oh absolutely, can't believe what they've spent so far in 2 weeks, so cheap

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest are you not worried about testing positive over there once you land? I can live with the testing in Ireland pre flight but uts over there and testing positive that puts me off.

Advertisement