Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Thunder now North of Galway City heading this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Downpour just happening in Salthill, there has been rumbles too but no lightening yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Plenty of rumbles to heard now it's roasting no wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The radar animation shows it building.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Advisory for heavy thundery showers for Ireland

A cold front crossing the country on Monday afternoon will bring widespread heavy and possibly thundery showers. Downpours will result in hazardous driving conditions and may lead to spot flooding. Areas most at risk are Leinster and east Munster later Monday afternoon and evening. Heavy showers with the risk of thunderstorms will continue through Tuesday and Wednesday.

Valid: 12:00 Monday 26/07/2021 to 05:00 Tuesday 27/07/2021

Issued: 17:10 Sunday 25/07/2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Could be a few storms yet down the Shannon - looking at the sat24 animation.

Couple of boomers in Galway

That came as a surprise one minute blue sky next thunder and lightning , the humidity is a killer in Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

When I saw it around 1630, it had developed approx. 30-50m long twisted funnel, amazing to see.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Advertisement

Nice big cell blowing up over Hospital Co Limerick..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Ardent

6:30 pm and it's unbearably hot and humid with no breeze whatsoever in North Kildare. The dog beside me is utterly miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Well defined anvil over Tipp

Picture attached this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Saw this advisory earlier alright

What's the likelihood this could become "an event"? Dublin has gotten zero storms in the last year, never mind this week !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some isolated thundery downpours possible over the next couple of days giving some heavy localized rainfall.

IMO Weds at this stage looks like an active more widespread day for thunderstorms and more so over the Northern half of the country. As an upper low transits the country with associated troughs and quite a cold pool aloft with temps as low as -25C , quite low for this time of the year giving plenty of instability even though surface air temps are modest from the mid to high teens, highest in the S and E, NE . At this stage charts showing good lapse rates, LLS and DLS decent. Direction of flow from W to NE so would presume cells will be maturing whilst crossing the country giving some heavy downpours with risk of hail ( could be a decent size ). Could also have a chance of funnels and wouldn't rule out a report of a tornado or waterspout on the ground /over water, again more so in the Northern half of the country where Vorticity levels are at it's greatest, I think this is where the trough is more negatively tilted . Strong Jet over much of Ireland.

Could see CAPE values in the high hundreds of J/kg of even over 1000 j/kg, at it's highest in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Have some footage from Galway on Friday. Knackered from the drive and camping so will probably post tomorrow. This was after the lightning.

Was just too dangerous to go outside the car with the constant thunder and flashes of lightning. Hail slightly melted but gives an idea of how big they were. On the far side of Carna the roads had about 1/2 a foot of water running over them like a river.

These pictures were taken by a friend yesterday during the Thunderstorm the were taken from Claregalway

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Last picture! Cool/wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rain and Thunderstorm Warning for Ireland

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Thunderstorms and heavy showers will develop today over the western half of the country, moving eastwards this evening where they will continue tonight. Localised downpours will lead to spot flooding and hazardous driving conditions.
    • Valid: 12:00 Monday 26/07/2021 to 05:00 Tuesday 27/07/2021
    • Issued: 11:14 Monday 26/07/2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Not a whole lot of hope for dublin again by the looks of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I wouldn't be so sure. Very unpredictable local movement of air mass.

You saw the other day that storms popped up further south than the initial warning area and became the source for the rest of the day out west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Galway funnel yesterday, probably same one as above. Sent from a friend near corundulla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Look like some sferics just southwest of Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

^^^

They were very close to me. Power and internet out for a short while. Had a deluge in the last half hour. Sky brightening a bit but still raining. Can still hear a few rumbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Getting dark in Cork City now - I'd say we are due a nice shower very soon

• Advertisement

Thunder/lightning in that small embedded cell near Cork appears to be toward the coast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mammatus clouds here near Arklow at the moment

How that bodes for weather in a few hours,let's see

Some models do show things beefing up toward the early hours of the morning around midnight. Not holding my breath but I think we have a chance of a few sparks tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

strike near Listowel

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

few strikes in Dungarvan, Cappoquin, getting going now

Small cell over East Cork widening a little and looking a bit more adventurous building in to Co Laois and Waterford. Nothing spectacular yet but some sferics from it and heavy bursts of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

• Advertisement

Kildare, Meath, Dublin, Louth, Wicklow if it kicks off. Around coming up to midnight. If nothing sparks in Kildare or Wicklow by then it's a dud. 😑

If I read that correctly, the METAR for Dublin airport is saying a 30% chance of a TS tonight. Not great odds if so.

The highest odds they give on prob is 40

In my experience when they say prob 40,it happens

Will keep my phone charged and report from Arklow if I hear anything

Small active cell in Co Louth in the last 15 minutes around Ardee, Dunleer.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of sharp showers/cells developing off the Dublin/Wicklow coast.

I see those! They're for the fish though

Its been bone dry in Arklow

Not a drop yesterday or overnight, never mind thunder

Its been another undermining of forecasting

Its also quite a warm start here at 15.3c also flying in the face of forecasting

Yes....wasted on the sea!

Convinced I saw two distant lightning strikes, well out to sea, from my new vantage point (in Greystones) in the last 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Got a notification from the lightning app of strikes within 20km of me… got excited for a minute! But alas, the storm is off doing some sailing out at sea

The Nationwide storm warning was over the top imo very few strikes not sure about the rain either looked heavy down South ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement