Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Was driving from Limerick to Galway around 2.30. Car was reading 31.5c and dropped to 22c in only a few mins after I drove through a heavy shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

33 mm of rain fell at Mace Head up to 7 pm. 20 mm at Gurteen and 6 mm at Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I was hearing thunder from the Tipperary town cell at around 6.30pm from my home in the Ballysimon area near Limerick City. The storm was moving westward. Sat into my car for a chase in the Hospital direction. I was noticing the clouds were breaking up. I stopped in Hebertstown and I wasn’t hearing any thunder. Checked the met.ie radar and chased across to Holycross, Bruff area. I have fully copped on that the thunder was gone from it and was continuing to reduce down in size and rainfall intensity. I decided to return home at this stage. Took the video camera but I don’t think it is worth editing any footage and put it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Best storm in the West for a long long time the rumbles of thunder never seemed to stop a lot of sheet lightning and fork lightning, I saw one low fast moving cloud attempt to form a funnel but it disappeared as quick as it formed , Great day all round

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭pad199207

Was great viewing the developing storms over Kildare this morning and listening to the thunder.

Heard the first rumble before even anything showed up on the radar 😲

• Advertisement

Rain falling at altitude here near Arklow from Altocumulus that's not reaching the ground, a rare enough sight

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

To be clear though, none of the cells were supercells. Supercells have mesocyclones with separated updrafts and downdrafts that make the individual cell long lasting (hours of long tracked convection from a single cell). Today's event in my mind was a well organised multi cell cluster. Lots of pulse storms within an overall multicell cluster. You could see this because the cloud tops initially went cold and then quickly warmed up on the sat images as the updrafts were cut off.

The south coast of the UK look to be getting a good light show tonight. Time to tune in to a Bournemouth webcam!

Sky looks black on this one. Worth a watch over the next few hours :-

Bournemouth Webcam - UK + Ireland - Webcams - Magicseaweed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Heard there was serious rainfall in the Oola/Monard area and continuous thunder for a good hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and tornados reported?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

For the record todays detected lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thurles earlier 😲

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Damn Danno, that is some spot flooding!

Seems like the extraordinary weather we have witnessed elsewhere in the past two weeks is having a little impact here too!

What an insane summer. And it started off so cold.

18mm in Gurteen between 3 and 4pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Is it possible to upload videos on the touch site? Have a great clip of an all mighty clap of thunder that shook the car.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Would love to see that . This new site is very easy to upload pics and Gifs, haven't uploaded video clips yet, Niamh the admin had a thread with guidance but I cant seem to find it atm, with pics and gifs you can either drag them in or click on pic icon below, it will open your files, mine is set to open downloads and double click, pic, gif , not sure if it will download a video but maybe give it a try. Maybe someone with better knowledge will come along. Don't know if you have a twitter account , you could post it there and then post the tweet in boards or could upload to youtube and insert clip here . Best of luck.

Looks like most of the lightning activity stayed well off the S coast last night.

VALID 06:00 UTC Sat 24 Jul 2021 - 05:59 UTC Sun 25 Jul 2021

ISSUED 06:40 UTC Sat 24 Jul 2021

ISSUED BY: Dan

An upper low will be located over the western English Channel on Saturday, slowly meandering eastwards with time. A tongue of high Theta-W initially stretches from NE France across SE / Cen S England and wraps back round the low over the western English Channel, but through the day this will tend to slowly pivot northwards across SE England into East Anglia, with less northward movement on the western end. This zone provides the main focus for thunderstorm activity. A PVA lobe will rotate around the upper low, with an uptick in lightning activity across SE England on Saturday morning. However, as the forcing aloft overruns and clears to the west, this initial pulse is likely to weaken into a generic area of showery rain over East Anglia, although the odd embedded active cell cannot be ruled out.

As this lifts north, increasing cloud breaks and surface heating of moist low-levels (dewpoints 16-17C) over southern England may yield 500-900 J/kg CAPE. Forecast profiles reveal a warm nose at 850-900mb that may inhibit convection and so ideally sufficient surface heating and low-level convergence, enhanced by sea breeze, will be required to generate deep convection. Exactly how far north the morning rain can shift, and the degree of cloud breaks that follows, will heavily influence how far inland the sea breeze can push. This therefore makes it challenging highlighting specific areas at greatest risk, other than one or possibly two corridors of activity between the south coast and south Midlands/SE Wales. Nonetheless, scattered showers and thunderstorms will be possible during the afternoon and evening hours, generally drifting westwards with time. With the steering flow being near-parallel to the convergence zone(s), training of cells could lead to local surface water flooding. Mid-level flow is strongest early-mid afternoon and then tends to weaken somewhat towards evening, resulting in a reduction of speed shear - but still sufficient perhaps for some organisation/multicells. Some marginally-severe hail may be possible from the strongest cells, and the development of cold pools may create clusters of daughter cells nearby that tend to propagate away from the original parent cells. 

While showers and storms will tend to weaken later in the evening, PVA arriving from the east could enable further pulses of showery rain to develop in some southern and eastern parts of England which, given some residual instability, could still produce a few sporadic lightning strikes in places (for example, eastern East Anglia) - but confidence on coverage and placement is rather low.

• Advertisement

The downside of thunderstorms

Sky News: Hampshire: Houses partially destroyed after being struck by lightning in Andover amid thunderstorm warnings

http://news.sky.com/story/hampshire-house-partially-destroyed-after-being-hit-by-lightning-in-andover-12362604

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Torrential rain and thunder currently in Castlebar.

Yes, I can see it on Met's map. Seems very localised!

No sferics* showing up yet.

• This is new interesting information to me:

https://spark.iop.org/sferics-tweeks-and-whistlers#gref

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It built up very quickly, non stop rumbles for the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

looking out my windscreen during the deluge yesterday

The downside of thunderstorms

Sky News: Hampshire: Houses partially destroyed after being struck by lightning in Andover amid thunderstorm warnings

http://news.sky.com/story/hampshire-house-partially-destroyed-after-being-hit-by-lightning-in-andover-12362604

Thunder near oughtetard Co Galway

Black clouds building over lough corrib.

Funnel that didn't last long I think.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,831 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Look at the radar. Real change in the past 15 mins

Advertisement