Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Well Built Shed Project

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Emails to the likes of builders providers are largely a waste of time. They can be incredibly busy and they deal with who is standing in front of them and you are lucky you got a response at all. You have to bear in mind too that suppliers for this stuff are usually selling it by the hundred if not thousands of sq.m for commercial developments so they will prioritise those customers.

Your best bet is to go down to somewhere like a Brooks or Chadwicks and quiz them in person on the sale counter.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Good tip and thanks for that. I’ll drop into Brooks tomorrow as I’ll be passing them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Few pics to update

some things taking longer than expected. Door frame was slow, but wanted to make sure I did it right and the door is gonna fit! Should be good 🤞

You've probably already answered this question, but why did you decide on the slanted roof rather than the pitched roof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The lack of ventilation gap behind the cladding is interesting. I have read that best practice in Ireland is to batten it out to leave a ventilation gap, but then it ought to be finished with mesh covering the top and bottom gaps to keep out wildlife.

Whereas I think the Americans tend to build roofs (and walls?) with no ventilation between the siding/tiles and OSB.

When I built first lean to a good few years ago I did plenty of Google and followed a few designs which had no gap. These were UK fellas. Probably more DIY jobs than professional ones.

It’s been working for me so I just didn’t bother with the gaps even though most stuff I looked up now does seem to have them.

at the end of the day, it’s just a shed, a well built one and I’m sure it might have some man cave features in it by the time she is finished but it’s not a living space.

roof style was just design. Door I bought is 8 foot tall so needed a high side. Probably irrelevant now as I plan to open it out! Sun shines from front of our house most of the day and evening so a lower back and higher front ensures that there is no sunlight being blocked on neighbours behind.

I was kinda hoping to be able to swing a golf club in it also (simulator), but ultimately it is not big enough

State of play now. Away for a bit so won’t get any more done for a while. A few more hours will see me finished and ready to just fit roof and doors.

will worry about electrics over the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Bumping this thread as I’m planning to do something similar but with a pitched type roof and clad with ‘cedral’ material as per link https://www.cedral.world/en-ie

What did the finished product turn out like….?

I’d forgotten I hadn’t posted pics of the progress. Thanks for reminder, I’ll get some up over next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ULEZ23

Enjoyed following the progress of this as you were building, any final pictures to share?

I’m so bad!

here are some of the latest pics I took from a while back it must be said. There is not the finished article, hell im not even finished yet 🤯. Ah but it’s good, all I really want/need to do it electrics and put some kind of a floor in. Im thinking something like an epoxy self levelling thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭10-10-20

That's well fancy. Looks like the entrance to your underground wine vault.

Did you consider solar on it yet. 😁

Worth sticking this up which I took when doing the roof. I bought one of those pre insulated roof panel things as recommended by somebody in this thread. Thanks a million. It was quite daunting though doing it because instructions are hard to find so I didn’t really know what I was doing. Rang around for a few quotes and some people gave some helpful tips but really these people are selling to people who know what they are doing. The roof comes with no instructions. I found a one armed fella on you tube who found himself in the same predicament and of all the instruction/ help I could find on the web, he was the best. It is actually really easy. I made a tiny mistake with the overhang at the back as when I went to put gutter on I realised I had come out about an inch when I really should have been more or less flush. It didn’t really cause any hassle though. The gutter was something I got no real help watching videos but I did find a simple plan on the web somewhere which aided. However, all in all, they whole job was actually very easy. I should have videoed it. Anyone considering a roof like this, look me up and I can lend you my help and guidance.

patio done also, along with some drainage ditches as the garden is just horrible for holding water. There are no drains to feed into so there is a large sump hole (a meter square and over a meter deep, filled with pebbles and some drainage pipe) front right of the shed as you look at above picture where gutter feeds. It’s been working well

We did our bathrooms up a few months ago and re insulated it. Left over went into the shed and I have her fully insulated inside now. Will look at maybe putting plasterboard up at some stage but no rush on that. Will finish it off nicely though. Got off cuts of insulation on adverts for either free or small money. It’s well toasty inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

Fair play Seve for taking the time to post all this. This thread has given me the confidence to do this myself. Which is amazing. And lots of great interaction from others suggesting stuff I wouldn't of known - well, none of it was known to me. If I ever get to it, it will be part WFH / garden room and part shed (separated with it's one entrance).

Hats off man!!

cheers @DC999

What I really wanted was an outdoor room which I could use as a golf simulator room, but at the end of the day it was just unrealistic with the size of our garden and the requirement for an actual shed to house items such as bikes, tools etc. However I was also thinking that one day we may move house so if I'm going to do this, do it right and when I get her polished off with electrics, flooring and plasterboard, it would make a perfect home office, so will definitely add value to the house. mind you, i haven't a clue how much it's all cost me at this stage🤑💲💰️

so its pop up golf for me till i figure out something more permanent

Advertisement