Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Well Built Shed Project

Options
  • 24-05-2021 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭

So I've a small crappy barna shed that is rotting all over the place and I need to replace it pretty urgently now. I had considered a block shed, but I'll be doing it myself and as I've never laid blocks before (well other than a patio wall) I feel more confident in building a timber frame. It will be a shed to house the usual garden stuff, but hopefully also a place where I can walk into and potter away with some DIY projects. I've got some nice woodworking tools/tables, but at the moment everytime I want to use them I've to take them out and assemble the table in the garden.... so it's rare I use it....to much hassle if I have a little project I am considering, especially in my muddy garden with all the rain we seem to get!

Maybe I'll even build it to a spec high enough to upgrade it to an outdoor room at some stage. I'm not planning to insulate it straight away but it will be on the cards. It will have electricity to house a (beer fridge but don't tell the wife) :D freezer, lights inside and out, power tools and as we will also be upgrading our outdoor dining area which is next to it, will want wire it for an outdoor an electric heater. So I will put in a fuse board and get it wired back to the main house board.

I want to give it a high clearance and as I've seen my previous one rot at the ground level (despite being raised on blocks) and a recent episode of some furry visitors, I am going to clear the existing shed area, right into the corner and lay a concrete foundation. This will make sure I am not to high for the neighbours.

This it a couple of very crude Sketch up ideas I've drawn up with early plans. I think we are leaning to a mix of the two ideas. Simple pitch roof with the door at the corner and do away with any window. It will be 3 meters wide and 4 meters deep. Height at the back 9 foot and pitching at the front to 11 foot.

I want to get it finished for €4k which is probably a pipe dream, but doing everything myself (well a few burgers and beers may be offered to friends for a few dig outs) should be able to keep my costs down. I think my plan to clad it with shiplap will be the deciding factor of going over/under budget.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭con747

Plenty of threads on here, this one will help you a bit. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058075242 It's a garden room but will give you some idea's and costs.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

con747 wrote: »
    Plenty of threads on here, this one will help you a bit. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058075242 It's a garden room but will give you some idea's and costs.

thanks, was following that thread and already got the idea of putting the door in an an angle from Rob :)

I have some form, here is previous small 2 story shed I built. Bikes underneath and a few bits and bobs up top

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=117259215#post117259215

Some pics of what I have at the moment. The bamboo stick is roughly where the corner will be. Hope to get the old shed emptied over the next week or so and then I can take it down and start digging out the foundation for new structure.

As you can see, there was a gap up the side and behind the previous one. But I want to get the new lad shoved into the corner as tight as possible. Am thinking of building the 4 walls flat on the ground and then just lifting them into place, pre clad.

554010.jpeg

554013.jpeg

554011.jpeg

554012.jpeg

sorry about the last one, it keeps flipping me whatever way it uploads :(

I want height in the shed (let’s call it future proofing) :D
    My garden slopes up from the house, might be about 2 foot. More than this picture shows because I’ve levelled (ish) off the grass. I’ve not measured this yet but reckon it might be 4 -6 inches in difference. I’m going to lower the base to the same height as top step here

future plan to do something with the grass to level it off from the step to the shed

554014.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Word of note. Timber prices are gone a bit mad at the moment so your costs versus the other threads will have significantly raised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Good luck!

It is going to look absolutely enormous. That's what you want, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭championc

If that garden is south facing, then depending on your proposed size, you may have room for at least 4 solar panels on the roof of it, which could be a nice solar starter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭dodzy

I’d seriously consider skipping the concrete base and use footings. More than capable with the added advantage of cost and labour saving.. pulse you get your ‘above ground’ clearance.

11ft high at the front is a monster. Mock it up with a couple of timber lengths stood vertically and a cross piece, just to stand back and gauge appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Use some good paint instead of that red water slop.

Try cuprinol outdoor paint on fences and use the colour trend woodstain on your shed. Remember you can mix any colour you like.

On my shed I'm 4 years in and it's still a great finish and really waterproof.

Also consider tounge and groove panels. A little more but such a nicer finish and really clean and modern. Will try and dig out a pic.

Edit. Can't see any dpc on your block which may explain rot as blocks will soak up ground water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Looking forward to another build. As mentioned already the height will be considerable which may be an issue for the neighbours. I'd guesstimate that tree behind is about 11', any reason for the height?

OI I were doing it myself I'd probably go wider across the back than into the garden it'll also provide a bit of privacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

listermint wrote: »
    Word of note. Timber prices are gone a bit mad at the moment so your costs versus the other threads will have significantly raised.

Yeah... I had planned to build a garden room this year, the spreadsheet I used to cost up timber in February now shows that most lengths have gone up 30% or so since. Gonna shelve it for this year I think.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Looking forward to another build. As mentioned already the height will be considerable which may be an issue for the neighbours. I'd guesstimate that tree behind is about 11', any reason for the height?

OI I were doing it myself I'd probably go wider across the back than into the garden it'll also provide a bit of privacy.

Area to the left of pics will be upgraded to a decent outdoor living area and is the best spot for sun in our garden so unfortunately wider ain’t an option.

I might want to swing a golf club in her at some stage so hence the reason for wanting height........ but don’t tell the wife :D

Pity about the price increases but sure it’s what it is :(

Here's a rough scale mockup. :pac:

image.png

Plastic T&G cladding cheaper than wood; easy to fit, comes in multiple colours and zero maintenance.

Lol. I just threw a tape measure up!
    We’ll take it down a bit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I'd allow for gutters on a roof that size as well.

so I'm probably going to use 44*75 for the frame
    will most likely be nailing it together .... its the best way yes?
    no nail gun here so i'll be going old fashioned with a hammer... going to buy a decent one
    what nails will i use?
    was thinking 80 mm galvanised?

[URL="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HQRGWS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1[/URL]

thoughts?

no nail gun here so i'll be going old fashioned with a hammer... going to buy a decent one
    what nails will i use?

found this on amazon, 75mm

Seve OB wrote: »
    what nails will i use?

found this on amazon, 75mm

Screws - 4x80mm plus impact driver. Skip the nails. Easier to make adjustments on the fly. plus 4x2 as opposed to 3x2 for framing with 6 x 2 for roof joists. Obviously cost would increase but crunch the numbers and see how you get on. You’re targeting 4K I think, all in? For a 12sq mtr finished? I got out for €4.5 for 5 x 2.5mtr (similar footprint). Based on current material prices, I’d set aside another 1.5 grand at least, if I could.

dodzy wrote: »
    Screws - 4x80mm plus impact driver. Skip the nails. Easier to make adjustments on the fly. plus 4x2 as opposed to 3x2 for framing with 6 x 2 for roof joists. Obviously cost would increase but crunch the numbers and see how you get on. You’re targeting 4K I think, all in? For a 12sq mtr finished? I got out for €4.5 for 5 x 2.5mtr (similar footprint). Based on current material prices, I’d set aside another 1.5 grand at least, if I could.

I realise the screws vs nails thing is a bit controversial, but I'd use nails for framing and screws for sheeting. Nails are bendy which makes the studs easier to align and adjust with brute force (boot or hammer).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Not to mention that screws have terrible shear strength so are not really used by anyone for framing.

So if I go with nails are those ones which i linked any good?

Also why 4*2 over 3*2?

I was going to use 3*2 for the roof also. Why should this be more?

Check rafter span tables. 3x2 sounds hugely under spec for rafters.

For the walls, meh. It won't fall over with 3x2 but you'll probably have an easier time finding insulation if you use 4x2.

Galvanized nails for treated timber, ordinary wire nails for clean timber. 100mm nails for 4x2s, 75mm prob won't be long enough for skew nailing. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that)

90mm nails are the way to go for 4x2s (44mm thick).
    I'd advise getting a pneumatic framing nailer to drive them, you'll build the shed in a fraction of the time and your neighbours will be thankful.
    You can run one from a cheap lidl / aldi compressor and you can easily sell it afterwards.
    You could then use smaller nails to install the sheathing also.
    Personally I think pouring a slab is a no brainer and it'll probably be cheaper now with the price of timber.

air wrote: »
    your neighbours will be thankful.

air wrote: »
    Not to mention that screws have terrible shear strength so are not really used by anyone for framing.
    They’re not used simply due to cost. Nails are cheaper and as someone here brilliantly put it a while back, the battery in a hammer lasts all day. There’s bugger all shear force in any part of the stud wall/flat roof structure proposed by the OP. Screws are far more forgiving, particularly for the majority of people here who are non-professionals and would gladly accept the quick ‘undo/redo’ benefits the screw/impact driver pairing offer.

It's not simply down to cost alone, while the OPs structure may not be very large, timber frame is used for plenty of houses and bigger structures.
    These would not be signed off on if they were built with screws.

You'd also be screwing into end grain fixing studs to wall and sole plates.

You'd need to drill pilot holes through the plates if you're using decent sized screws, or you'll risk splitting them - especially near the ends.
    You also risk them not pulling together without gaps.

There's plenty of scope to line up framing and get it right before shooting a nail into it and in my experience there's a lot less chance of things coming out of line as it goes in instantly.

Each to their own anyway, just giving my two cents, screws are weaker, slower, more expensive and just not suited to framing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I use screws for framing but have used nails in the past. One thing I'd recommend with nails is predrilling holes for any you are putting near end grain to stop splitting. Same for screws.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I use screws for framing but have used nails in the past. One thing I'd recommend with nails is predrilling holes for any you are putting near end grain to stop splitting. Same for screws.

Wrong nails it wrong technique. You should never have to predrill a nail for framing, That's a tad bizarre.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Wrong nails it wrong technique. You should never have to predrill a nail for framing, That's a tad bizarre.

... unless they're 6" nails, which is admittedly unusual, but occasionally handy.

Advertisement