Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for drinks with future employer after interview

Options
124»

Comments

I'm willing to do one interview and only one. If you can't tell what a candidate is like after 1-2 hours then you don't know what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Dav010 wrote: »
    Jesus wept, at warp speed.

You are the boss, with a bit of brass? How would you deal with this situation?

A young good looking female interviews for your office and you assign a junior subordinate (male) to go and do a "drinks" interview. The next morning, she rings the HR office and suggests that the subordinate offered the job on the basis there would be "favours" exchanged. Now you know the accusation is probably bollix but you can't dismiss the accusation and neither of you can disprove the claim. You put your employee in that situation.

How do you deal with it now? Do you support your employee and risk the media barrage and whispers brigade?
    Do you suspend your employee and have an internal investigation and deal with it in public?
    Either way you put your employee in the trench. Very hard to reclaim a good name once it has been sullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

SupaCat95 wrote: »

A young good looking female interviews for your office and you assign a junior subordinate (male) to go and do a "drinks" interview. The next morning, she rings the HR office and suggests that the subordinate offered the job on the basis there would be "favours" exchanged. Now you know the accusation is probably bollix but you can't dismiss the accusation and neither of you can disprove the claim. You put your employee in that situation.

How do you deal with it now? Do you support your employee and risk the media barrage and whispers brigade?
    Do you suspend your employee and have an internal investigation and deal with it in public?
    Either way you put your employee in the trench. Very hard to reclaim a good name once it has been sullied.

You deal with it by not assigning, or allowing, anyone to do a drinks interview, because it is an incredibly stupid idea.

How many?

I dont know, but two people I know where accused of doing heinous things. I never heard how much the Irish media settled with the accused but they did settle out of court. The damage was done at that stage.
    One accuser retracted her statement and the other was proven innocent by DNA evidence.

Remember that guy from that flop boy band "6ix"? One of Louis Walshs Non Runners? He ended up as a customer support manager at EIR telecoms.
    One night at a Christmas party he felt up a junior employee. Now he claimed he had a load of drink taken. Everyone had egg on their faces and it was in the national press. Could have easily been avoided if the manager had gone home early. Its not always a good idea to have drinks with staff.

I am sure that is only a few stories of many.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Maybe it has nothing to do with age nor looks and the boss could be a woman. You need to adjust your antennae a little bit, not every boss is a rapist or has lecherous intent.

• Advertisement

Maybe it has nothing to do with age nor looks and the boss could be a woman. You need to adjust your antennae a little bit, not every boss is a rapist or has lecherous intent.

I never said they were or did but you created that environment for it to happen.
    So are you going to dismiss your employee and risk a run in the office?
    Are you going to support the young lady and hire her despite the rocky start?
    Are you going to tell the young lady to sling her hook?
    Are you going to bed and worry did your subordinate have too much to drink or decided to chance his luck?

I am glad I wouldnt have made that decision 'cos I wouldnt put a man in a trench like that ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I’d make it a non alcoholic beer - even if you don’t drink them. People are inherently suspicious of people who don’t drink & you can be sure they have all agreed and well rehearsed their pointy questions to see if you are an idealogical fit. Prepare for open /leading questions on gender, unisex toilets and abortion etc. They won’t be taking any prisoners. Have a look at the company mission & values - that should spell out to you what you are allowed think.

Personally I think its a bad precedent but if you look at ALL time spent with the company as ‘best behaviour’ time it’ll go ok for you. I used have a few jobs that involved a lot of travel/corporate functions and representing the company at high profile events - I held many drinks but never drank and always kept the company line - even when asked and encouraged - people everywhere would be happy for an advantage, discount or promotion on your back. Nothing has changed. Just more obviously transparent in looking.

Not one of those things would be discussed

I never said they were or did but you created that environment for it to happen.
    So are you going to dismiss your employee and risk a run in the office?
    Are you going to support the young lady and hire her despite the rocky start?
    Are you going to tell the young lady to sling her hook?
    Are you going to bed and worry did your subordinate have too much to drink or decided to chance his luck?

I am glad I wouldnt have made that decision 'cos I wouldnt put a man in a trench like that ...

I think you need to take your mind out of the trench. No matter what situation you consider, if you try hard enough you can come up with the worse case scenario. Paranoia can be crippling if you let it.

I think you need to take your mind out of the trench. No matter what situation you consider, if you try hard enough you can come up with the worse case scenario. Paranoia can be crippling if you let it.

So you have NEVER heard of that scenario before? Its only now subordinates are speaking out. I would say it has been going on since Adam was knee high to a grass hopper and it will be going on long into the future.

So you have NEVER heard of that scenario before? Its only now subordinates are speaking out. I would say it has been going on since Adam was knee high to a grass hopper and it will be going on long into the future.

I’m sure there are, that does not mean the employer has a sinister motive. Perhaps there is a reason why the employer wants to see how an applicant interacts in a social setting, do they have the personality necessary to interact with a team or clients, who knows. What is certain is that the applicant can decline, if the invitation is important for the role being offered, both may have dodged a bullet if the employer just moves on to the next applicant. I don’t know why you are so suspicious of this scenario, but I would like to think the vast majority of employers have no intention of taking advantage of the situation to satisfy sexual urges.

• Advertisement

Perhaps there is a reason why the employer wants to see how an applicant interacts in a social setting, do they have the personality necessary to interact with a team or clients, who knows. What is certain is that the applicant can decline, if the invitation is important for the role being offered, both may have dodged a bullet if the employer just moves on to the next applicant. I don’t know why you are so suspicious of this scenario, but I would like to think the vast majority of employers have no intention of taking advantage of the situation to satisfy sexual urges.

You remember the Irish Apprentice one year? It had the brilliant guy from the Dublin business family who thought of the idea for the scannable direction tickets at Dublin airport? Think it was the same one with Breffni Morgan from Cork. There was a guy who was Music label executive from the UK and he had drink problem and he was doing his AA and he came clean close to the end but he was head and shoulders above all the other team mates. Often Alcoholic and BiPolars have fantastic work ethics. That guy won out in the end.

Now you are wondering if I am an alcoholic/addiction problems/Bipolar? I am not any of the above but I have seen people change indescribable in the space of a few pints, its unfair to put them in that position. You are welcome to come over to my house for a family gathering but I wont be serving alcohol to anyone, particularly of my wifes family. Everyone has a good time and goes home happy.

I would like to think the major of people are decent but the is always a scumbag factor in every level of society, sometimes you need the alcohol to lure out the devil in them.

Advertisement