Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for drinks with future employer after interview

Options
  • 24-05-2021 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭

A fella told me there recently about a company that had an extremely long drawn out interview process. One day he did about 6 one-to-one sessions with different people and he was also invited along for drinks after. Now at that point if I actually wanted the job I would politely decline and tell them I have a sick auntie in hospital or some such thing because I'd be after smelling a massive rat.

One might naively think they're being friendly and a really cool crowd to get along with but of course business is business and really it's just a continuation of the interview. It is extremely easy to slip up in that situation. At this stage I wouldn't even go to the Christmas party until I've been made permanent.

Anyone know of other companies who do this? or perhaps you have some drunk-interviewing experience of your own?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You'd be right to call it "a continuation of the interview", for sure. They'd be watching for things such as how you talk to the bar staff, or whether your tongue gets sharp when you have a drink in you. Personally, I wouldn't have a major problem going for one drink - literally, one - then politely bailing.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Yeah continuation of interview. Standard enough in Big4 or company's where you would be expected to network. I'd go for a couple and be aware to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yeah continuation of interview. Standard enough in Big4 or company's where you would be expected to network. I'd go for a couple and be aware to that fact.

Big4?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

See no issues going along but have a get out option if you feel uneasy or afraid you will do or say something wrong with a few drinks.

Big4?

Big4 Accountancy Firms. I'm sure other big company's such as the legal ones do similar. I think it's more so with the younger workers this thing happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

I did this and ended up reading the signals wrong and trying to go home with the boss. Didn't get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

bnt wrote: »
    You'd be right to call it "a continuation of the interview", for sure. They'd be watching for things such as how you talk to the bar staff, or whether your tongue gets sharp when you have a drink in you. Personally, I wouldn't have a major problem going for one drink - literally, one - then politely bailing.

I’d make it a non alcoholic beer - even if you don’t drink them. People are inherently suspicious of people who don’t drink & you can be sure they have all agreed and well rehearsed their pointy questions to see if you are an idealogical fit. Prepare for open /leading questions on gender, unisex toilets and abortion etc. They won’t be taking any prisoners. Have a look at the company mission & values - that should spell out to you what you are allowed think.

Personally I think its a bad precedent but if you look at ALL time spent with the company as ‘best behaviour’ time it’ll go ok for you. I used have a few jobs that involved a lot of travel/corporate functions and representing the company at high profile events - I held many drinks but never drank and always kept the company line - even when asked and encouraged - people everywhere would be happy for an advantage, discount or promotion on your back. Nothing has changed. Just more obviously transparent in looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Big4 Accountancy Firms. I'm sure other big company's such as the legal ones do similar. I think it's more so with the younger workers this thing happens.

Probably to lull them into thinking about the good environment/culture before sending them out for 12 hour days to the likes of Anglo.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

bnt wrote: »
    ...... Personally, I wouldn't have a major problem going for one drink - literally, one - then politely bailing.

The problem is ..... it is never just one. Could be checking for loose lips that sink ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jackboy

Big4?

Aldi,Lidl, Tesco and Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭AdrianBalboa

I’d make it a non alcoholic beer - even if you don’t drink them. People are inherently suspicious of people who don’t drink & you can be sure they have all agreed and well rehearsed their pointy questions to see if you are an idealogical fit. Prepare for open /leading questions on gender, unisex toilets and abortion etc. They won’t be taking any prisoners. Have a look at the company mission & values - that should spell out to you what you are allowed think.

The paranoia is insane. You’re telling people to be careful in case someone plies them with drink and starts asking them to explain their position on abortion when they are at their most vulnerable. Maybe people should travel in groups in case someone might drag them down a piss-soaked alley at night and confront them about immigration, or carry a debate-whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The paranoia is insane. You’re telling people to be careful in case someone plies them with drink and starts asking them to explain their position on abortion when they are at their most vulnerable. Maybe people should travel in groups in case someone might drag them down a piss-soaked alley at night and confront them about immigration, or carry a debate-whistle.

Maybe that scenario is exaggerated but they're certainly out to get you in those situations.

Probably to lull them into thinking about the good environment/culture before sending them out for 12 hour days to the likes of Anglo.

Basically yeah! I've heard of Big4 intern auditors counting chickens out in Kepak Clonee which is arguable worse.

I worked for Deloitte as an experienced hire abroad and lasted 4 months. Absolutely hated the culture. Everyone sitting around the office at 10 pm at night following a day out doing fieldwork having their takeaway dinners. Not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Basically yeah! I've heard of Big4 intern auditors counting chickens out in Kepak Clonee which is arguable worse.

I worked for Deloitte as an experienced hire abroad and lasted 4 months. Absolutely hated the culture. Everyone sitting around the office at 10 pm at night following a day out doing fieldwork having their takeaway dinners. Not for me.

I studied accounting in college and hated auditing, one person told me the only thing worse than studying it is working it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

A fella told me there recently about a company that had an extremely long drawn out interview process. One day he did about 6 one-to-one sessions with different people and he was also invited along for drinks after. Now at that point if I actually wanted the job I would politely decline and tell them I have a sick auntie in hospital or some such thing because I'd be after smelling a massive rat.

I'd tell them the pubs are closed for the last year and then ask them what sort of shoddy operation are they running where they don't even know that this is happening.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sounds like they're lonely.

Tell them no and you're not interviewing for friends at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Don't see a big problem with it.

Just want to see what kind of person you are outside of the formality and stuffiness of an interview etc. I would see it as a good technique (for both manager and candidate) to see if the candidate/team are a good fit for team-based roles etc.

As someone who has unfortunately had to give a lot of interviews over the past few years (probably close to 100 by now), I often joke I would rather interview the candidate over a pint. A decent, casual free-flowing conversation will tell you a lot more about a person and their true knowledge/abilities/passion etc than a formal, dull Q&A interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

You’d want to be desperate to land the position. Work is fine but I like clear boundaries between it and private life, views and tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Doesn't sound like a company I'd want to work for.
    Judge me on my cv and during the interview all you want, but fcuk that if you think I'll act like I'm at a dog and pony show in the pub with a bunch of larger louts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not even slightly insane. Caution totally justified - and if you want the job, go for the drink.

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    Just want to see what kind of person you are outside of the formality and stuffiness of an interview etc. I would see it as a good technique (for both manager and candidate) to see if the candidate/team are a good fit for team-based roles etc.

As someone who has unfortunately had to give a lot of interviews over the past few years (probably close to 100 by now), I often joke I would rather interview the candidate over a pint. A decent, casual free-flowing conversation will tell you a lot more about a person and their true knowledge/abilities/passion etc than a formal, dull Q&A interview.

It doesnt matter what people do in their own private time, as long as they are not breaking the law. You pay for my time 9 to 5, people dont have the right to call after that time unless they are bleeding out and have been through every last number in their phone book. I dont do personal calls or social media at work, they dont have the right to call you after hours. Professional boundaries.

I bet you would love interviewing them that way after a few pints and their defenses are down, yourself and HR can work out a plan how to fire them when they get top heavy (Youtube Count Dankula and Call Centers).

What if you took a vulnerable candidate out for a drink? Someone with mental health issues, addiction issues or some other mental fallibility? Business is 9 to 5. I think it would be inappropriate tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

A lot of people would have drove to the interview, perfect excuse to have a non alcoholic drink and bail then.

If they invite you out for a drink, make sure you tell them that they are the ones who will be paying for all drinks.

You didn't invite them anywhere.

They invited you.

This will show good corporate moxy initiative.

Doesnt that come across as creepy or predatory to you? That you have to resort to use liqour to probe a personality. That is exactly the same kind of person who takes a girl out and tries to get her drunk.

I guess I am not getting the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Have your couple of drinks and probe them. If it turns out there are bellends, then you got a lucky escape.

Anyone remember a TV reality show for a PR job at a top firm in Dublin a few years back? Like the Apprentice but not the apprentice?
    They took all the candidates down to Monard spa in Co Wexford. The candidates who had two or more drinks with the clients were chastised on the show. They ranged in two drinks to a bit messy.

I hate the term of Business After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Make sure that you are last in the round, only order from the expensive top shelf whiskeys and then make your excuses and leave when it is your turn

Yes, only order the top shelf whiskeys. And make sure they are top shelf Japanese whiskeys. This will also show top shelf corporate moxyness.
    Do that and you could well be heading up the company in a matter of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I would arrive late, order a round of shots and point to the boss. 'Put it on his tab, barkeep!' I'd roar. Then light the spirits on fire and down them all myself. Then I would demand a raise. And a secretary. Even though the position I was applying for was to BE a secretary.

'He's got balls,' they'd say.

'Damn right,' I'd say, while I lift my skirt to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    It doesnt matter what people do in their own private time, as long as they are not breaking the law. You pay for my time 9 to 5, people dont have the right to call after that time unless they are bleeding out and have been through every last number in their phone book. I dont do personal calls or social media at work, they dont have the right to call you after hours. Professional boundaries.

I bet you would love interviewing them that way after a few pints and their defenses are down, yourself and HR can work out a plan how to fire them when they get top heavy (Youtube Count Dankula and Call Centers).

What if you took a vulnerable candidate out for a drink? Someone with mental health issues, addiction issues or some other mental fallibility? Business is 9 to 5. I think it would be inappropriate tactics.
    Where are you getting the "tactics" or "plan" from? You are extremely cynical.

In team-based roles, how well you get on with everyone else is just as important as the other criteria. As I said, a decent, casual free-flowing conversation is a great way to get to know how someone will fit onto a team.

Also, your obvious lack of flexibility or dedication would say you would be a terrible fit.

P.S. In most professions, you are not paid by the hour, but to get the job done. that doesn't mean that you should be working all hours but, as the saying goes, "he who watches the clocks will remain one of the hands".

Advertisement