Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going for drinks with future employer after interview

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

El Tarangu wrote: »
    I understand the OP's concerns; I went along for drinks around Christmas time for a big company in Cork; golly-gosh, but those people knew how to let their hair down...

Now that was a party, there must be some interview to join that crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

A fella told me there recently about a company that had an extremely long drawn out interview process. One day he did about 6 one-to-one sessions with different people and he was also invited along for drinks after. Now at that point if I actually wanted the job I would politely decline and tell them I have a sick auntie in hospital or some such thing because I'd be after smelling a massive rat.

I would politely decline going for drinks but I have to say, I'd be loathe to lie about why. It's always better to be honest or to say as little as possible, IMO. If you don't lie, you don't have to remember anything you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

buried wrote: »
    I'd tell them the pubs are closed for the last year and then ask them what sort of shoddy operation are they running where they don't even know that this is happening.

Life ran pre 14 months ago.

I would politely decline going for drinks but I have to say, I'd be loathe to lie about why. It's always better to be honest or to say as little as possible, IMO. If you don't lie, you don't have to remember anything you said.

Doubt you need to worry about remembering what you said if your cv goes in the bin.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Doubt you need to worry about remembering what you said if your cv goes in the bin.

Excuse me?

• Advertisement

You be better off. I more than likely go, as I have a lush tendency. What gets me is where paid staff ask non paying interns money for someone's birthday or moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Tazium

Interviews are fun if you approach it with the mindset of 'Is this company good enough for me'. Use this opportunity to go and ask a few probing of your own. Some companies might like to splash the cash and demonstrate they reward performance or something like that. It could be a show to hire the right person and impress them.

There's nearly always an opposing view or angle in most situations. Make the best of it.

Excuse me?

If the employer wants to asses you in a social setting, declining may mean they won’t consider you for the job. Doesn’t really matter if you lie about why you are declining if your cv is in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

If the employer wants to asses you in a social setting, declining may mean they won’t consider you for the job. Doesn’t really matter if you lie about why you are declining if your cv is in the bin.

Are you interviewing a candidate for a job or seeing how fast the mouse makes it out of the maze? You dont own an employee, you have use of their service for a fixed time period. You require a candidate to complete a function of a certain quality in a fixed time period with a certain productivity. That is crossing the line into control freak. Next thing you want to do is to poke through the candidates stool sample to see what they had for breakfast.

If they're paying.

• Advertisement

Well, if declining to go for drinks means I'm not considered for the job, then I'd be even more glad I didn't come up with some lame excuse not to do so. It might not matter to you. It would matter to me. I'd work off the basis that not going for drinks isn't going to affect my chances of getting the job. If I'm right about that, then I haven't lied to my new employers. If I'm wrong about that, being honest is a neutral act. Weighing it up, honesty is the best thing because in even the most negative scenario, being honest wouldn't have cost me anything. And if I got the job, I wouldn't have to remember the lie I told to get out of going for drinks. I've worked with many people with freakishly good memories. It could easily come up again.

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    Are you interviewing a candidate for a job or seeing how fast the mouse makes it out of the maze? You dont own an employee, you have use of their service for a fixed time period. You require a candidate to complete a function of a certain quality in a fixed time period with a certain productivity. That is crossing the line into control freak. Next thing you want to do is to poke through the candidates stool sample to see what they had for breakfast.

See my earlier post, if you are employing someone to do the tasks you list only, doesn’t matter if they have the personality of a fish, but if they have to meet clients in a social setting, or need to be sociable to fit in with team dynamic, not much point in hiring an automaton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chavez.

It's what it is

You can embrace it or not bother

Well, if declining to go for drinks means I'm not considered for the job, then I'd be even more glad I didn't come up with some lame excuse not to do so. It might not matter to you. It would matter to me. I'd work off the basis that not going for drinks isn't going to affect my chances of getting the job. If I'm right about that, then I haven't lied to my new employers. If I'm wrong about that, being honest is a neutral act. Weighing it up, honesty is the best thing because in even the most negative scenario, being honest wouldn't have cost me anything. And if I got the job, I wouldn't have to remember the lie I told to get out of going for drinks. I've worked with many people with freakishly good memories. It could easily come up again.

It end up like Google. Playing sudoku and eating pizzas to stay back in the evening.

See my earlier post, if you are employing someone to do the tasks you list only, doesn’t matter if they have the personality of a fish, but if they have to meet clients in a social setting, or need to be sociable to fit in with team dynamic, not much point in hiring an automaton.

My objection is not to the social situation, its the use of alcohol in the environment. Why couldn't it be a business breakfast? You dont see a moral dilemma here? Do you see a moral dilemma of taking someone out getting them into a vulnerable situation with alcohol and then taking them home?

Has anyone heard of "the breakfast interview"? The Interview meets the candidate for breakfast as part of the interview. The waiter is in on what is going on and screws up the order/ is slow/ brings the wrong change/is impolite/ any other factor based on the role.

Then they look at what your ordered, how fast you ate, behaviour, if you touched your face, etc
    how much you tipped, etc etc

Same results can be assessed without alcohol.

A friend of mine when for an interview, afterwards he was asked to stay for tea. He was asked to stay for a cup of tea. Then he was asked if he wanted a biscuit he said why not. But the biscuit box was empty but there were biscuits in clear sight. He dismissed it and carried on, not commenting on it. Not sure if he did the right/wrong thing but he didnt get the job, there were a lot of other factors involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I’d make it a non alcoholic beer - even if you don’t drink them. People are inherently suspicious of people who don’t drink & you can be sure they have all agreed and well rehearsed their pointy questions to see if you are an idealogical fit. Prepare for open /leading questions on gender, unisex toilets and abortion etc. They won’t be taking any prisoners. Have a look at the company mission & values - that should spell out to you what you are allowed think.

They should also have "recent WRC cases" as a lively discussion topic so that they start to understand how much this childish macho BS recruitment technique is going to cost them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chavez.

They should also have "recent WRC cases" as a lively discussion topic so that they start to understand how much this childish macho BS recruitment technique is going to cost them.

Tell me more

Chavez. wrote: »
    Tell me more

AJR is just losing the run of himself, conflating a recent WRC case where one one employee was assaulted by another at a Christmas work party, with being invited for a drink after an interview.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40289789.html%3ftype=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭growleaves

Has anyone heard of "the breakfast interview"? The Interview meets the candidate for breakfast as part of the interview. The waiter is in on what is going on and screws up the order/ is slow/ brings the wrong change/is impolite/ any other factor based on the role.

Then they look at what your ordered, how fast you ate, behaviour, if you touched your face, etc

A friend of mine when for an interview, afterwards he was asked to stay for tea. He was asked to stay for a cup of tea. Then he was asked if he wanted a biscuit he said why not. But the biscuit box was empty but there were biscuits in clear sight. He dismissed it and carried on, not commenting on it. Not sure if he did the right/wrong thing but he didnt get the job, there were a lot of other factors involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

My objection is not to the social situation, its the use of alcohol in the environment. Why couldn't it be a business breakfast? You dont see a moral dilemma here? Do you see a moral dilemma of taking someone out getting them into a vulnerable situation with alcohol and then taking them home?

You've jumped from a drink after an interview to rape. Jesus wept.

Lol the amount of hoops normies have to jump through just to get a chance to suck at the corporate teet.

So glad I'm a NEET.

A no teet neet, who declines to meet for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Lol the amount of hoops normies have to jump through just to get a chance to suck at the corporate teet.

So glad I'm a NEET.

So, useless?

Sound like Boston Scientific.

JeffKenna wrote: »

Hey how many people have been the focus of the "MeToo!" movement? It doesnt matter if they are guilty or not, if you dont want to be there dont put yourself in that position, male or female. Even George Takei has been accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

dotsman wrote: »
    Don't see a big problem with it.

Just want to see what kind of person you are outside of the formality and stuffiness of an interview etc. I would see it as a good technique (for both manager and candidate) to see if the candidate/team are a good fit for team-based roles etc.

As someone who has unfortunately had to give a lot of interviews over the past few years (probably close to 100 by now), I often joke I would rather interview the candidate over a pint. A decent, casual free-flowing conversation will tell you a lot more about a person and their true knowledge/abilities/passion etc than a formal, dull Q&A interview.

This is one of the many reasons why work-life balance rarely exists anymore. You hire people to do a job not to be your mate.

Hey how many people have been the focus of the "MeToo!" movement? It doesnt matter if they are guilty or not, if you dont want to be there dont put yourself in that position, male or female. Even George Takei has been accused.

Jesus wept, at warp speed.
    crybaby wrote: »
    This is one of the many reasons why work-life balance rarely exists anymore. You hire people to do a job not to be your mate.

And why getting the right person for the job is so important. The employer probably has enough mates.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Sound like Boston Scientific.

I think it was for a more higher paying job than Boston Scientific. The lab staff would come down and the mutton would dress more like lamb and mingle. They would be watching for mannerism like touching the hair/face/nose.

JeffKenna wrote: »

It doesnt matter if it is true or not, how many lives have been ruined by an accusation true or not? How many historic claims cannot be proven. Good fences make good neighbours.

• Advertisement

It doesnt matter if it is true or not, how many lives have been ruined by an accusation true or not? How many historic claims cannot be proven. Good fences make good neighbours.

How many?

Advertisement