Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Belarus force down Ryanair plane

24

Comments

  • #2


    Why didn't the pilot just tell them to feck off and say that he/she was landing in Lithuania as per their job* ?

    *Not a real opinion, I know nothing about aircraft or the procedures in these sorts of circumstances, but it's likely the type of reply you will get around here.

    The Belarusian air force sent up a Mig-29 to keep them company which would have focussed the pilots thinking you would imagine.


  • #2


    lawred2 wrote: »
    and take the chance that the plane won't explode?

    It would have been quicker to land at Vilnius than in Belarus. Even if there was a bomb, it could have exploded over Belarusian airspace anyway.

    Lukashenko wouldn't have had the nerve to order the MiG pilot to shoot down the Ryanair flight that was only a minute or so away from NATO airspace.


  • #2


    It would have been quicker to land at Vilnius than in Belarus. Even if there was a bomb, it could have exploded over Belarusian airspace anyway.

    Lukashenko wouldn't have had the nerve to order the MiG pilot to shoot down the Ryanair flight that was only a minute or so away from NATO airspace.

    a pilot is never taking such chances :confused:

    they will do what they are instructed to do


  • #2


    It would have been quicker to land at Vilnius than in Belarus. Even if there was a bomb, it could have exploded over Belarusian airspace anyway.

    Lukashenko wouldn't have had the nerve to order the MiG pilot to shoot down the Ryanair flight that was only a minute or so away from NATO airspace.

    If the bomb was real and the intention was to explode it, there was no point in diverting. The 9-11 hijacks point to that conclusion.

    I do not know how much communication pilots have while flying in those circumstances. Can they phone home?


  • #2


    lawred2 wrote: »
    a pilot is never taking such chances :confused:

    they will do what they are instructed to do

    Point taken.

    Indeed, the pilot had to consider the lives of all on board. Protasevich, as he was being led away, expressed fear that he would be executed, although he could ....

    https://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-plane-diverted-so-blogger-could-be-arrested-who-is-roman-protasevich-12315440
    .....face up to 15 years in jail if convicted.


  • #2


    Why didn't the pilot just tell them to feck off and say that he/she was landing in Lithuania as per their job* ?

    *Not a real opinion, I know nothing about aircraft or the procedures in these sorts of circumstances, but it's likely the type of reply you will get around here.
    lawred2 wrote: »
    and take the chance that the plane won't explode?

    The key question about the alleged Bomb threat is why they didn't just land in Lithuania as planned given that they were considerably closer to there than Minsk.

    If the concern was about "safety" then letting them continue on to the closer airport was the best option.

    Obviously the Pilot doesn't really have a whole lot of options when there's a fighter jet coming alongside etc. , but the whole cover story just falls apart with even a cursory review.


  • #2


    No reports I have seen indicate that the pilots knew the diversion was a ruse by the Belarusians. How could they?
    Pilots are required to follow ATC directions if they want to keep their license.
    The presence of a MiG-29 escort would concentrate the mind also.


  • #2


    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The key question about the alleged Bomb threat is why they didn't just land in Lithuania as planned given that they were considerably closer to there than Minsk.

    If the concern was about "safety" then letting them continue on to the closer airport was the best option.

    Obviously the Pilot doesn't really have a whole lot of options when there's a fighter jet coming alongside etc. , but the whole cover story just falls apart with even a cursory review.

    More to the point, why did Protasevich take a seat on the flight in the first place?!

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57224452
    Franak Viacorka, a friend and associate of Mr Protasevich, told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that the journalist "already felt something bad" in Athens airport because he had seen that someone was following him.

    Some passengers described seeing Mr Protasevich looking nervous as the incident unfolded. "He just turned to people and said he was facing the death penalty," Monika Simkiene told AFP news agency.

    Another passenger told Reuters news agency that Mr Protasevich had opened an overhead locker after they were told of the diversion, pulled out a laptop and a phone and gave them to a female companion.

    Mr Viacorka said the woman, who was Mr Protasevich's girlfriend and was arrested with him, was "not involved at all in anything, but they will be pursuing her because she's a close person to him". She has been named as Sofia Sapega, a Russian citizen.

    If in doubt, get out!

    He has put his girlfriend, as well as himself, in harm's way.

    Boarding a flight that goes through Belarusian airspace was his equivalent of walking into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

    Even if there hadn't been a bomb alert, he should have considered the possibility of being poisoned with a view to making him ill to provide a pretext for an emergency landing in Belarus, i.e. the footage of Navalny crying in pain after boarding an internal Russian flight.


  • #2


    Russia keeps the lights on in Europe.


    The EU leaders are now in a position where they have to do nothing to the Russian province of Belarus while appearing to do something to the Russian province of Belarus


  • #2


    More to the point, why did Protasevich take a seat on the flight in the first place?!

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57224452



    If in doubt, get out!

    He has put his girlfriend, as well as himself, in harm's way.

    Boarding a flight that goes through Belarusian airspace was his equivalent of walking into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

    Even if there hadn't been a bomb alert, he should have considered the possibility of being poisoned with a view to making him ill to provide a pretext for an emergency landing in Belarus, i.e. the footage of Navalny crying in pain after boarding an internal Russian flight.

    Since the opposition leader who is effectively on the run took the same flight a week ago, the possibility of this occurring simply didn't cross anyone's minds. Not even the airlines viewed there to be such a risk. So ya, I don't think you can blame the victim here..


  • #2


    protonmike wrote: »
    Since the opposition leader who is effectively on the run took the same flight a week ago, the possibility of this occurring simply didn't cross anyone's minds. Not even the airlines viewed there to be such a risk. So ya, I don't think you can blame the victim here..

    But what if a technical problem with the aircraft had materialised in Belarusian airspace and then the pilot had to make an emergency landing? It happens even with the most advanced aircraft.


  • #2


    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The key question about the alleged Bomb threat is why they didn't just land in Lithuania as planned given that they were considerably closer to there than Minsk.

    If the concern was about "safety" then letting them continue on to the closer airport was the best option.

    Obviously the Pilot doesn't really have a whole lot of options when there's a fighter jet coming alongside etc. , but the whole cover story just falls apart with even a cursory review.

    whose cover story?


  • #2


    Ryanair's Michael O'Leary was totally against a small passenger surcharge towards an Irish Air Corps, defence patrol for aviation security. Probably worried about vast profit margins.

    Then he squeals when one of his planes gets diverted by the Belarus Air Force, what a hypocrite. Demanding EU action from nations who actually properly fund their military forces!

    This is the same Ryanair company that O'Leary is more than happy to take billions from the nation to ensure his survival during the current Covid19 crisis.

    What exactly is the Irish Air Corps going to do when a fighter jet intercepts a passenger aircraft in Belarussian airspace?


  • #2


    lawred2 wrote: »
    whose cover story?

    The story line from Belarus that they were responding to a "security threat"


  • #2


    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The story line from Belarus that they were responding to a "security threat"

    ah yeah but that's irrelevant in the context of the decisions a pilot has to make


  • #2


    I hope that the response from the EU will be more effective than the usual words of "strong condemnation". You may think that Lukashenko is a two-bit dictator from an insignificant country. But the situation is closely watched in Moscow. Belarus is a test bed for repressive tactics that are rolled out in Russia. If the EU lets this slide, next thing you will see planes going over Russian territory being forcefully landed to extract any dissidents.


  • #2


    Belarus has now expelled all Latvian diplomats and administration. Given 48 hours to leave. Latvia banned all flights in and out of Belarus. UK has also banned Belavia (Belarussian flag carrier) from landing in the UK and advised all British aircraft to avoid Belarussian air space.


  • #2


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    Belarus has now expelled all Latvian diplomats and administration. Given 48 hours to leave. Latvia banned all flights in and out of Belarus. UK has also banned Belavia (Belarussian flag carrier) from landing in the UK and advised all British aircraft to avoid Belarussian air space.

    Belorussian ambassador told to pack his bags and be gone in 24 hours, all other staff have 48 hours, decisive move by Latvia, does Belorussia have a presence in Ireland?
    __________________


  • #2


    signostic wrote: »
    Belorussian ambassador told to pack his bags and be gone in 24 hours, all other staff have 48 hours, decisive move by Latvia, does Belorussia have a presence in Ireland?
    __________________

    Nope, don't believe they do.


  • #2


    Had to laugh at our own mice that roared (Coveney and Martin) in chorus with that bigger roaring mouse (EU)

    A few sanctions and that'll be about it, back to business as usual.


  • #2


    victor8600 wrote: »
    I hope that the response from the EU will be more effective than the usual words of "strong condemnation". You may think that Lukashenko is a two-bit dictator from an insignificant country. But the situation is closely watched in Moscow. Belarus is a test bed for repressive tactics that are rolled out in Russia. If the EU lets this slide, next thing you will see planes going over Russian territory being forcefully landed to extract any dissidents.
    If the EU lets this slide, next thing you will see planes going over EU territory being forcefully landed to extract any dissidents


  • #2


    Had to laugh at our own mice that roared (Coveney and Martin) in chorus with that bigger roaring mouse (EU)

    A few sanctions and that'll be about it, back to business as usual.
    EuCO meeting told to leave their phones outside. Looks like serious intent to me.


  • #2


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    EuCO meeting told to leave their phones outside. Looks like serious intent to me.

    Unless there’s some concrete actions by the EU then being told to leave their phones outside means nothing.


  • #2


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    EuCO meeting told to leave their phones outside. Looks like serious intent to me.

    Wasn’t that standard during the brexit talks


  • #2


    Had to laugh at our own mice that roared (Coveney and Martin) in chorus with that bigger roaring mouse (EU)

    A few sanctions and that'll be about it, back to business as usual.

    Simon was fairly pathetic on morning ireland

    The Russians are having some laugh


  • #2


    prawnsambo wrote: »
    EuCO meeting told to leave their phones outside. Looks like serious intent to me.

    Pah.
    Cutting off the supply of French wine and Kerrygold.


  • #2


    If the EU lets this slide, next thing you will see planes going over EU territory being forcefully landed to extract any dissidents

    The Russian and Belarusian air forces wouldn't have the nerve to do that inside NATO airspace, i.e. the Baltic states, Poland.


  • #2


    Pah.
    Cutting off the supply of French wine and Kerrygold.

    ##Mod Note##

    Up the standards please.

    Thank you



  • #2


    The sad thing is - sanctions are all well and good but the original problem hasn't been resolved. Belarus and Russia won't really care about the impact of said sanctions as they know that they still achieved what they desired i.e. got their hands on a dissident. What's to stop them from doing it again?

    I'm not proposing sending in special forces to retrieve the man but at the same time does Russia really care about the alternatives? They know that even if the EU threatened serious intervention that they'd simply switch off the oil and gaslines and that's us crippled.


  • #2


    FGR wrote: »
    The sad thing is - sanctions are all well and good but the original problem hasn't been resolved. Belarus and Russia won't really care about the impact of said sanctions as they know that they still achieved what they desired i.e. got their hands on a dissident. What's to stop them from doing it again?

    I'm not proposing sending in special forces to retrieve the man but at the same time does Russia really care about the alternatives? They know that even if the EU threatened serious intervention that they'd simply switch off the oil and gaslines and that's us crippled.
    Targeted sanctions against named individuals hurt. Especially in a kleptocratic regime. All that lovely money salted away outside the country is suddenly out of reach. The flight sanctions will also hurt.


Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.