Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never ordered any. Never any need, a few people were demanding it on here for reasons that wouldn't stand up to justify the state even making whatever the minimum order was.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Bad news for the J&J vaccine.

FDA puts strict limits on Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/05/health/fda-johnson-johnson-vaccine-eua/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭foxsake

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

60 cases out of 18 million doses administered is very safe imo. It's just the case that Pfizer/Moderna vaccines are even safer so makes more sense to only give those unless there's a good reason not to.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 34,157 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's a treatable side-effect, it's not as if 60 out of 18 million people are dropping dead.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

This may be a stupid question. Applied for my booster vaccine on hse website appointment for next week. Have the other two already. Didn’t have to log in like last time.

Obviously when I get to the vaccination centre they will know it’s the booster they’re giving me? And will it be sent by post as last vaccine I logged in with my email????

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

When going for a 2nd booster how do they check (if they do) for underlying conditions for people under 65?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Don't think they do when you are there but you get a text re the booster based on referral by your GP or consultant / hospital clinic .

Email if they have it on file.

They check your record with you at the check in desk and again when you go in to the cubicle to the vaccinator . And yes, they will have your records of other doses on file also .

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Just got a text from hse saying my app has been cancelled. I had covid in December so I’d say that’s why???

• Advertisement

Are gp's giving moderna or Pfizer now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seemed to be Moderna a few weeks back. Not sure about walk in pharmacies.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,428 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I got Moderna booster ( 2nd ) previously got all Pfizer from my GP, aches and pains all over, tired and arm sore, was fine from the other shots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Is it confirmed that a flu/Covid shot will be offered in the Autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They'll probably have a joint programme and maybe do both but this will be jab number 5 of the same medicine in less than 18 months for some people. So much for the upgraded versions. Meanwhile, lots of people not even bothering with boosters and jab fatigue has come very quickly.

Not sure about getting a combo as I found getting either vaccine over the years that I needed to take it easy afterwards. So worried a combo would totally floor me. On the other hand, if I get a combo maybe I need to only write off one weekend.

I got flu shot and a covid additional dose together last autumn and was sore and sorry for 2 days, like with one of the jabs, and that was it.. Over.

It wouldn't bother me to do that again but it seems pointless not to be giving a more targeted covid booster.

Moderna are in the process in the US of getting authorisation from the FDA for their new bivalent vaccine which does target Omicron as well as the more traditional strain.

Would make sense to give this with the flu vaccine to those vulnerable categories in the autumn.

Having had Pfizer all along but still caught Omicron, would think mixing it up might be better longterm?

Yes I'd expect mixing it would be better long term, but the down side is likely harder hit by side effects in the short term after getting it.

Yeah, heard from colleagues and others that Moderna is rougher than Pfizer.. especially first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I found the second one worse

I recon there will be a lot of hesitancy, especially among young people for a booster that isn't omicron variant specific. Most of us were encouraged to get a third jab at a time when pubs were closing at 8pm and crowds at sporting events limited to 5,000, many of my peers felt there was no point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A decline in numbers getting boosters was expected. The frequency with which they are announced hasn't helped matters. We should really be in a "get your annual flu and COVID shots this winter" scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I had my second booster last week . I had AZ by 2 then Pfizer by 1 and last week Moderna

Definitely the after effects of Moderna were far worse , I was awake all night with pains in my joints and back . Next day I felt I’d been run over by a bus and have awful nausea all day

I wont be first in the queue for another booster anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Yeah.

Talking about a booster when you have had Pfizer before.

Def think it needs to be a more tailored one to encourage uptake at this stage.

Can see how many will not either want the regular booster so don't think it will really be taken up except by those who really need it or have to for their work.

@IamwhoIam! I have not got my second one yet. I got the additional dose, then caught Omicron 8 weeks later. Got my first booster 3 months after recovery because was going travelling.

Would not be rushing to get another,( can't anyway I think until Autumn now, 6 months after first?) if its as painful as you and others say, only don't like the thought of the vaccine waning and being sick again next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mct1

Has anyone here under 65 (no underlying conditions) booked and received their second booster yet? Two 62 year olds I know have just booked theirs online for Saturday. Husband 63y is considering doing the same. It's over 6 months snce his last booster. Just wondering would they be turned away?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

There is a database the vaccinator has to enter details in. It’ll probably instruct no further injections and they’ll be sent away. Nothing stopping you from booking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Seems odd that the Americans are offering second boosters to all above 50 yet we are only doing 65s.

I'd prefer to get a second one as I've asthma and am 51 , last booster was January so surely waning a bit now in effectiveness.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Just got 2nd booster. Pfizer. Took day off.

Would say its on the cards.. NIAC considering it apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Local pharmacy are offering both Moderna and Pfizer booster. I've had two shots of Pfizer and one Pfizer booster. Had little to no side effects from those. Advice seems to be that Moderna would be somewhat better as second booster but hearing a lot of people having bad side effects, so not sure what to do. Also isn't there a new and improved Moderna vaccine (that targets original Covid and Omicron) about to be approved?

Advertisement