Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

My dad is on high doses of steroids and immune suppressants so his immune system doesn't destroy his liver. Got covid last week after 4 vaccine doses. Thankfully it's been just a mild headcold for him. I'm pretty sure given his myriad of health conditions, he'd be in ICU or worse right now if it wasn't for the vaccines.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭amandstu

I just got my booster and ,whilst side effects have been close to zero in my case I am wondering whether it could be responsible for mild joint problems.

I have a left index finger that gets a bit of rough treatment from playing the guitar so that I am very sensitive to its condition.

Normally it is fine but can play up and then is fine if I give it a massage.

Since this booster it seems a little more intractable and so I wonder if the vaccine could be partly responsible

I also have an ankle sprain from before Christmas that I thought I was over but it also seems to have flared up again.

Could there be a connection?

I am just asking out of interest,not to suggest anyone should give the booster a swerve on account of niggles like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

You surety doesn’t really cut it, like the man that died last year and his doctor said it would have been a lot worse for him had he not been vaccinated, he died FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

I also had a fourth dose due to being on immunosuppressive drugs. I swear I must be vaccinated up to the eyeballs. No COVID so far, but I’m sure it’s inevitable with the numbers soaring as they are.

• Advertisement

I understand that ,more than a year in this covid vaccine can be described as pretty well tested.

Side effects have been well logged over the period.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You could get some mild inflammation in the days after the vaccine that could aggravate an old injury but there's nothing left after that which would cause any continuing issues (bar antibodies).

If you've had these issues before, I'd be putting it down to getting older (though you could be a teenager for all I know 😀) and taking longer to recover, try and give them extra time to heal before going back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,166 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I wonder how many more billion people have to take covid vaccines before they'll be "fully tested" ?

Anyone...?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

anyone know what time the Swords centre is running until this Saturday ? Might be a bit late for child appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What was percentage up take for booster - third vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone getting a bit concerned for their parents with the 2nd booster being rolled out to the over 65's there doesn't seem to be any evidence if they're otherwise fit and healthy they need it faced with Omicron.

The 1st two are claimed to prevent severe illness and death, not sure what a booster on top of a booster will do, 4 in less than a year advised for my mum seems excessive when her only condition is being over 65.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-vaccine-65-5744448-Apr2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

It's not mandatory so your Mum does not have to get it!

They do really need to make clear the benefits of a 4th dose though as many people will have the same concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

My parents will be hanging off the entrance to the doctors surgery to get theirs anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

My parents have decided not to - 90 and 85, they’re going to wait until the Autumn for the flu/covid jab.

My Dads brother was hospitalised after his 2nd booster which the nursing home insisted he have (he was also hospitalised after the second jab). He has cancer and COPD. He just got back to the nursing home from the hospital last week, and now has covid. He also had covid at the start whilst unvaccinated, and was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I had my three doses all on time and stood in a queue for 4 hours for the booster . I had Covid in January so wont be in any hurry now for the fourth dose .Maybe if they explain it better and tell me why I should I will listen and weigh up my choices .Right now I am thinking I will wait until its with the flu vaccine in the Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Hybrid immunity from having the vaccines booster and having recovered from Omicron , which is itself a bit different, spikewise:) , is great protection. I am in much the same position .

The older you are the less any immunity takes so it appears that is their reasoning ,which I am sure you know as a retired nurse so don't want to be telling you what you know . They are trying to give the boosters to counteract the waning of antibodies, but you and I know we also have our own b cells and t cells production after having recovered as well . The question is how much , as getting on a bit, or maybe having underlying conditions which may still predispose to more serious disease.

I got my extra dose because immunocompromised and wanted to travel without worry .

I am back to normal life now completely but if they are offering me more jabs I have no objection !

You know enough to decide what is best for you and if waiting till Autumn suits then that is it .

Most activity will be outdoors now for the next few months .

I would think that if I started to worry that I may be at risk or that worry was interfering with my ability to do what I wanted to do socially or otherwise, J would be looking to get a booster if available to me .

That's my take on it .

• Advertisement

@Goldengirl

I agree , its just right now I think I will give it six months from my dose of Covid and probably then get this 4 th dose . Maybe in June or July

I was very lucky , I had cold symptoms and a bit of a headache so I do think my three vaccines helped .

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Just wondering what the current recommendation is for Covid revaccination. I had mine my 3rd vaccine in January… when should I be revaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭timmyntc

OP there is currently no recommendation as to "how often" you should vaccinate.

COVID vaccines have not been announced as regular/seasonal yet. If you've already had 3, you may be eligible for a 4th if you are immunocompromised or very old according to the HSE. Preliminary studies show a 4th dose as being anywhere from 30% to 10% effective (pfizer, moderna), so if your idea of 'taking this virus seriously' is getting a 4th dose, I would question your thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Unvaccinated, had Covid around the time my age group was up for vaccination, recovery cert lasted til Feb, then Omicron came... Have to travel to the US for work at realtivly short notice...

Anyone know where I can get the Jansen vaccine in Dublin area??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont think you can... have only heard of pfizer or moderna still available which are 2 dose mrna based.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nowhere. Hasn't been offered for months. Not particularly useful against any newer variant, and we don't need its slightly less strict handling regimes.

I believe our last deliveries were donated to Nigeria before going out of date about six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did we ever actually use Nuvaxovid (Novavax)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Ok, thanks... Seems all a bit pointless at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I had a booster on 1st December and got a text about going to a Walk in place to get a 2nd booster at the weekend. Five months after the 1st booster exactly. I believe its the moderna vaccine. I previously had 2 doses of astra zeneca, one dose of pfizer and am thinking of not taking the 2nd booster as yet again its another make of vaccine and also cannot really see the point if there is another dose then needed in October! everyone I know 60-68 yr bracket is not taking it either. Not good news if people who should take the vaccine are put off from taking it as that is what will cause the problems for everyone in three or four months time. There needs to be clear guidance from the relevant authorities on all this booster stuff I think.

Advertisement