Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Incidence vs vaccination rates in Germany.

Vaccines work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Crazy scenes at Citywest this morning. Loads of people given booster appointments by mistake 😡. Mad stuff altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Yes, after 2 hours of waiting I was send home without being vaccinated.

Apparently "a glitch in the system". Talked to a manager, asked her if they had enough dosed to accomodate everyone. She said yes, but would not give the booster, because they only give it to people over 60 at the moment "as by our guidelines".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Absolute shambles, if they had enough they should have just done people

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭blackcard

Do we have plenty of vaccines or is the rollout going to be restricted in any way by the supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

They said on the HSE briefing the other day that they have about 2m in stock and have actually paused delivery of any more. However they also said that they can recommence orders immediately when they need to. They're also getting specific lower dose vaccines for when they start vaccinating children rather than using less of the existing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Qrt

can anybody report back from citywest today? What’s it like? Many queues?

hesitant family member said they were told they’d be waiting three hours after waiting two already…not sure if I can believe

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Ozvaldo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Austrian antivaxxer (65) Johann Biacsics died of COVID after unsuccessful self treatment with chloride dioxide

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I was there yesterday . Once we got to half way down by the hedge in the car park we were told 3 hours

It was 2.5 hours from there

3 .5 hours from behind that hedge at the kiosk

We still had to go through two tents of 4 lines and then another 6 lines inside the building once we crossed the road from the car park .

In total I was there for 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Are they still doing walk in jabs at pharmacy shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

Well over half of 60+/LTRC/HCW etc now boosted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Haven’t kept up too much so forgive me if this has been discussed. I’m group 4 and got my vaccine through my GP, have they started doing group 4 boosters yet? If not is there any timelines out there?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

Hi

hoping to travel with family to France

both parents fully vaccinated

5 children under 12, none vaccinated

is it wise to get antigen test at the airport or should we get it done day before?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can someone (mid-30's) request the J&J vaccine? Someone i know is quite hesitant to get the Pfizer one, but could probably convince them to get the J&J.

Just not sure if its possible to specifically request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,561 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think you can anymore, we were using J&J and you could sign up for it through chemists but stopped taking deliveries of that and AZ. Only taking new orders of mRNA vaccines at present.

We just sent hundreds of thousands of J&J doses to Nigeria under the COVAX scheme.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not available here anymore, and they would be called for a booster of Pfizer within months anyway even if they did get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

These stories about athletes dying always get more attention when there's a prominent case or there's interest that causes people to go looking. About 8 years ago a lad in England (whose name I've forgotten) died on the pitch, and then for a month or two you could have sworn that there was a sudden epidemic of it, because any footballer who collapsed during a game, from any game in any country, right down to small local friendly games, was reported by the media.

Fear sells, and for a while, "footballers collapsing all over the place" hit the right part of the old lizard brain for clicks. I suspect a similar thing is happening here in vaccine-hesitant and oldskool anti-vaxxer circles.

It's not that unusual for people to collapse in the middle of sports that put extreme pressure on the body and cause great cardiovascular stress.

While there is obviously a mechanism by which mRNA injections can affect the heart (see: myocarditis), and excess cardiac deaths have increased over the course of the pandemic, I don't think there's much evidence at the moment that there's many more collapses on the field than there would ordinarily be, overall. And there are confounding factors, like people spending a lot of time last year being more sedentary, eating worse food, suffering more cortisol-inducing stress, not wanting to bother doctors with minor chest pains, etc. The increase in cardiovascular deaths (at least in the UK, where I've seen data from) started before vaccinations were available.

Something to keep an eye on but it doesn't seem to warrant panic yet.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

+212,643 boosters from Wed 24th Nov to Wed 1st Dec compared to +184,618 over previous week.

Post edited by Apogee on

About 85 per cent of the country’s 161,000 people aged in their 80s have been boosted, 74 per cent of the 336,000 people in their 70s and just 19 per cent of 470,000 people in their 60s.

Mr McCallion said that indicative dates showed that the HSE could receive deliveries of vaccines for first doses for five- to 11-year-olds in the third week in December and early January.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-numbers-stabilising-but-still-present-huge-risk-reid-1.4745280

Post edited by Apogee on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There actually are far more cases of athletes collapsing and dying this year compared to the previous few - statistics back this up, not selective reporting.

Whether its vaccine/covid related is unknown. But the phenomenon is very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I am group four and got my booster in a pharmacy today as I was nearly six months since the last and quite anxious, ironically my GP (who vaccinated me for the first two) texted me on the way back inviting me for the booster in two weeks time!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Are you talking about the study from the Israeli anti-vaxxer or has other evidence come to light?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

50% of people in ICU are unvaccinated. Imagine that.

Unfortunately there's probably a % of those that believed idiots and bots on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭mullinr2

I just want to point out before I start. Both myself and my wife are vaccinated and will get the booster when offered. I personally believe that there is no point in getting kids u12 vaccinated. I have 3 kids u12. It has been proven that covid is a mild illness for this age cohort. If they get it, let their immune system deal with it and develop antibodies.

It has also been proven that the vaccine does not prevent transmission, so anyone posting that line of argument is going down the wrong rabbit hole. If a kid gets covid vaccinated or unvaccinated they will still bring it home.

I just think we are going down a very dangerous path. What if the government decide that everyone has to produce a vaccine cert to get into restaurants, play centres, sports clubs etc. Imagine if a cohort of kids are vaccinated and your child is not, and that the vaccinated group say to stay away from your kid because they are unvaccinated.

If the government bring in that rule I can envisage serious protests against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Young healthy kids can still end up in hospital though, it is important that we keep them safe and protect the HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ah yes, a boards poster who knows more than the collective scientific community. I have yet to hear a valid concern as to why we wouldn't vaccinate under 12s, and have heard plenty of reasons why we should...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Both myself and wife are vaccinated, so I do trust the science, however it is such a mild illness in children. Why vaccinate them? Let their immune system deal with it and develop antibodies. It won't reduce transmission rate

Advertisement