Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One has emergency approval from the EMA and the other is under rolling review. You'd expect them both to be in regular use from early 2022. Both have submitted for emergency approval from the FDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I just received a text for my booster . Age 65+ and five months and 5 days after my second dose

I had two AZ and now this will be Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I have noticed that in the past 24 hours anti-vax twitter is in a frenzy over an apparent surge in footballers collapsing recently. When I have dug a little deeper it usually leads to either anecdotal evidence of individual cases or dodgy looking graphs and print-outs that aren't sourced in any way.

Has there been any analysis of this from any fact-checking sites?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It isn't easy, but the probability of infection from Delta is very high. It is very likely that children will get it at schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It was on here a few days ago from the usual posters.

Seems to have originated with an anti-vaxxer in Israel, I didn't dig any deeper, maybe there's something there, but no data sources have become apparent yet.

There's been a few official looking scam papers going around recently, either the anti-vaxxers are getting smarter (doubtful) or more desperate (likely).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Economics101

I have heard that some countries (France?) will require Covid Certs, at least for some age-groups, indicating Booster shots early in the New Year. Can we rely on the HSE to get their skates on and send out new Vaccine Certs for the boosted?

Can we heck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The general figure of adults being vaccinated is around 94%. How do they come to that figure? Is it PPS Numbers, Census etc?

I know of couple of people who left Ireland to go back to their home country last February and March who were living here for over 5 years.

I think a lot of people know folks from the likes of Eastern Europe who were going back due to rent prices/cost of living and the Polish economy was improving before March 2020. A lot people went home during the pandemic.

I would imagine there were a lot of people on the border regions that avail of the NHS system too. Their roll out was a lot quicker than ours, could people on the border with access to the NHS service have availed of the vaccine in the north?

It would be interesting to see if any of the above are being classified as unvaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Richard Hillman wrote

The general figure of adults being vaccinated is around 94%. How do they come to that figure? Is it PPS Numbers, Census etc?

CSO population estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

Question for any healthcare workers who got their booster at a walk-in clinic.

Did they check you were on the register from earlier this year? Or just check other ID proving you work in healthcare?

I am both in healthcare and the vulnerable group 4. I got my vaccine as part of the vulnerable group so I never registered on the healthcare group. I could go to a walk-in clinic tomorrow and queue but prefer to know what they check.

many thanks for any information

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

https://youtu.be/LEBGl8MVE-c

paper :

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/circ.144.suppl_1.10712

What do you make of this ? 

I like the way John is non biased and just looks at the data ... a lot of people will want to ignore this as it doesn't suit the vaccines are 100% safe angle.

I am confused to how a vaccine that only replicated a spike protein could increase risk of heart attacks ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

Do you follow sports news?

Three footballers collapsed this week -a Sheffield United player, a Wigan Athletic player and a Real Madrid player.

That's one week, and the tip of the ice berg.

I've been following soccer for many years and until this year I don't recall multiple heart attacks among young, healthy athletes happening with regularity

*Something* is going on.

That paper is nonsense.

• It's not peer reviewed.
    • Its issued with an Expression of Concern. The journal are obviously skeptical of it.
    • It's just an abstract. There is no actual data or references.
    • PULS test is not a valid biomarker. It's something promoted by the author. It's not something a cardiologist would ever use. (It's also misspelled as PLUS on the first line).
    • It's written by a known quack who sells food supplements on his website. (This is not mentioned in financial disclosures). He also sells products that are associated with lower PULS score. Imagine that.

I really don't know what happened to John Campbell. I watched a few of his videos over the course of the pandemic and they seemed reasonable enough. Over time though he seems to have descended into quackery and pseudoscience. I can only assume for increased publicity and views.

He's best avoided.

It wasn't a Real Madrid player, it was an FC Sheriff player playing against Real Madrid.

Anyone who follows sport closely or reads the sports tabloids could not fail to notice this huge surge in heart problems.

You can't make people not notice it with some phony 'Journal.ie Fact Check'

Do elaborate, you're revealing a lot about yourself with the JAQ'ing going on here.

(the source of that article was an anti-vaxxer news site based in Israel, none of the sources checked out).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wigan already released a statement saying he's not vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭PicardWithHair

It's because John has a video on it that would concern me, he hasn't an agenda, he is non biased ... he is even doing honest videos on ivermectin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Wigan player was not vaccinated.

The "Real Madrid" player wa snot a Real Madrid player.

Seems you need to follow sports news more closely. If jumping conclusion jumping was a sport, there would have been a lot of medals given out on social media over the last couple of days

• Advertisement

Are you on autopilot? I'm talking about reports in the newspapers of multiple players collapsing.

And I'm not 'Just Asking Questions' I'm saying that multiple athletes are collapsing on the field this year and the correlation with vaccination should be investigated to see if these are vaccine injuries.

If they aren't due to vaccine injuries then they must be due to something else and we should be finding out what it is because even casual followers of sports can see that something strange is happening.

Okay fair enough, and what about the Sheffield United and FC Sheriff players?

If you'd read any of the analysis, numbers are about the same as previous years (actually below average, with 2020 as an outlier because fewer games were played).

But anyhoo, must be the vaccines fault.

I already corrected myself that it was a player playing against Real.

So what if I quote from memory and make a small error? The point still stands.

I'm not prejudging it by saying it's definitely down to vaccine injuries. I'm not that biased. I do think it's a correlation that should be looked into.

Speaking "anecdotally" I don't recall several players collapsing mid-game from heart trouble in a single season before 2021.

I haven't read any analysis that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I do think it's a correlation that should be looked into.

Well this is why I was asking if any reputable body had already done this kind of work.

First off they'd need to determine if there actually are more players collapsing. Typically there are going to be a given number of these in any year and sometimes through sheer chance a lot of them might happen at the same time. The Lottery here hasn't been won in nearly 50 draws. The odds of that are extremely long but every so often weird things like that happen.

If they determined that there were more of these happening then usual they would then need to look in more detail at the individual cases:

• Did any of the players have any previous history of collapsing?
    • What exactly happened to them during the incident (e.g. cardia arrest)?
    • Were they diagnosed with Covid-19 at any stage leading up to the incident?
    • Had they been vaccinated - if so when and what type?
    • Had the players been on any new medications or supplements recently?

That's the only way to get a real answer. Anything else is just conjecture - which doesn't help anyone. Certain bad actors will have no issue with that though and will use any information to push whatever their agenda is.

That is a good response Brussels Sprout, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭JoChervil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I remember reading an article last year, that few years ago in South Korea they did a huge research like 80,000 people cross checked and they noticed for example that after having shingles 40% people had a stroke or heart attack in the following 6 months. The threat was still increased up to one year. And shingles is a viral disease. So it might happen that after contracting Covid (even while asymptomatic), you might then got stroke or a heart attack in months following it.

• Advertisement

There is about 10 cases per month on average, outcomes have been greatly improved since defibrillators were made widely available a good few years ago. There does seem to have been an effort to remove misinformation from the main search engines, the telegraph has a behind paywall article about it if you want more details.

In the Erikson case, he hadn't taken a vaccine but it's referred back to frequently.

Advertisement