Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

How exactly will it come back to bite the state in years to come ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Girl I work with is 23. No underlying conditions. Registered yesterday through the portal.

Got a call today to say she has an appointment in Laytown pharmacy on Thursday for Pfizer!!!!

She is delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

EMA’s human medicines committee (CHMP) has started a rolling review of Vidprevtyn, a COVID-19 vaccine developed by Sanofi Pasteur.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-starts-rolling-review-covid-19-vaccine-vidprevtyn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

It would be nice to get a break down of half vs fully vaccinated and maybe word it as hospitalised with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I got the vaccine around 11am last Thursday. Around 8/9pm that evening I started getting muscle aches, headache. Had a broken nights sleep (woke up many times sweaty and thirsty. By the morning time I felt like I was hungover (not terrible but not great). By 4pm that day I felt good again.

Only lasting effect is my injection arm is still a bit sore but I only notice it when I'm paying attention to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Right decision at the time and probably still the right decision with hindsight too. No idea how it will bite the state in years to come either so you might want to give some detail on that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Cheers think I’ll just walk up to sentry then grab a taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Had a very poor sleep that night and was very tired the next day, some body aches but nothing a hard gym session wouldn't do. Was all better by the mid afternoon and slept like a log that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Your 'beef' with AZ is alarming - considering the situation we were all in. How many CVT clot issues were found in Ireland? There are risks with ALL medicines and vaccines. You mention clot and supply issues with AZ - well adverse reactions have been noted and recorded such as Bells Palsy in Pfizer, Myocarditis and pericarditis in Pfizer, which if serious enough can cause damage to the heart muscle oh and various types of clots, as well ad anaphylaxis within a few minutes of jab - so you see its not just one over the other situation. My point is - the risk of NOT having a vaccine versus COVID at the time also needs to thought about. What if for example the only available and working vaccine was AZ ? What then ?? Having to wait for production of vaccine etc.

The clot issue decision was taken on medical advice at the time as other vaccines were available and or were expected to come online - some unknown in real time too - as for a while it was just two available. Symptoms are known more readily by the general population after data came in and symptoms to watch for are now explained by vaccinator - prompt and earlier intervention action can and does reduce many serious adverse reactions as much as possible.

For all we know, how many instances were exacerbated by the known and go to treatments for clots - heparin based medicines. Now, if it is established that someone who has symptoms of a CVT shortly after having a vaccine shot, they get treated with different medication - non heparin based medicine.

The situation is evolving and decisions are made at real time pace and based on the information available, which in itself is evolving.

Public servants or not, people take and make decisions based on what they know at the time - an example of one dose to give some protection to as many as soon as possible - a very good idea and proven published results - how many people did not end up getting serious Covid because of that decision ? Delta has changed things again and many people will be receiving boosters sooner.

You mention "clot issues and supply issues will come back to bite the state in years to come" How so ? We are all only beginning to get into our minds really the impact and future impact of Covid - has changed us in so many ways - we just do not have any base to work with yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A long but interesting read on the history of mRNA vaccines. It identifies the work Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman as pioneering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Regarding the 1 in 5 admitted to hospital that are vaccinated it also says their outcomes much better and not everyone was admitted because of Covid. They just happened to test positive while in for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I know it mentions further down about not all people in hospital were admitted because of Covid etc...

Be nice to know how many though.

It's also been reported that 10% of cases yesterday were in vaccinated people. Almost like they have only started checking vaccine history.

But again, it would be really interesting to see what % were symptomatic and what % of their close contacts tested positive compared to non vaccinated people's close contacts etc... They should have a wealth of data they could share with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I read about this at the start of the vaccine program. Karikó got treated disgracefully in the 90s, she was called every name under the sun basically, I suspect there was some degree of sexism involved there.

It's mad that people aren't more excited about how the successful mRNA vaccines will open a whole new range of medicines treating a lot of ailments. This vaccine is only the start and the media isn't bigging the new technology up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

The media are loving COVID right now. The state of journalism in the last year has been disgusting. Lots of fear and inaccurate reporting.

They'll probably start bigging up the technology when COVID isn't the hot topic. Hopefully.

Christ that technology is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭kg703

Anyone get one vaccine from a GP and then get referred to HSE for their second one? Did it work out as planned or did you have to call the HSE etc? I got one last week, said Im being referred to HSE for second one but they didnt have any info on how well that works out :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Are the J&J vaccines still only 18-34's? I'd certainly prefer only one shot, but not sure i'm eligible for it at 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Only 10% in vaccinated people? Don't we have Delta now dominant as well? That looks brilliant on the surface of it. Would be nice to dive deeper into the age groups and contact types.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Guys I've lost my drivers license and just realised that my passport expired in June this year. Will that be a problem as my proof of identity for vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I wouldn't expect it to be a problem or that they will even look at the date. Given that the passport office was on reduced operations you might not be only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Any studies coming out on how j&j fairs against Delta. I know about the lab findings with a sample of 8 and 20 but anything due to come out on real world data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

There are so many articles about "1 in 5 in hospital are vaccinated", "5% of cases are vaccinated people", "X % of people with 1 dose have been admitted to an hospital in the last x months". That is easy journalism, what is the purpose of this statement, what does it want to show or what do they expect as a reaction from the readers ?

I am reading this, and there is never any data to compare how it was before vaccination or any evolution or benchmark, so what does a relative number like this mean ? 1 in 5 in hospital are vaccinated, but the numbers of vaccinated people increase every day, so it will be soon 2 in 5, then 3 in 5. I preferred when they were talking about the stats showing the older age categories getting less and less cases over time.

We have seen in March with Israel and UK what is the efficacity of the vaccine, we have known the metrics for months, so I don't really understand why some of these articles are reported as breaking news, as if the numbers were not expected.

The most possible outcome is that people will not understand what is a "good" number and will make their own conclusions that the vaccines do not work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Rolling 7-day average daily vaccination rate for EU27 + UK. Go Ireland!

Post edited by Skygord on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

All these sort of articles do is undermine the vaccine programme. Young people, the majority of whom will not get sick from this disease, are going to see this kind of headline and question why they should even bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

I registered early Friday morning on the HSE portal, I’m 25 so was expecting to be kept waiting a while. However been inundated with messages from friends around my age who’ve got their appointment as early as this weekend! I’m still waiting however, find it odd how it’s not following much of an order though

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Got my 2nd dose yesterday at 15:00. Symptoms were same as the first jab - sore arm only. Got good nights sleep and no tiredness today. I even did a bit of exercise today (even though you're not supposed to)!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The sleep thing there could also have been from how stinkingly hot its been since Thursday to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I’m 24 and registered yesterday. They said I would get AstraZeneca if it was available but made it seem there’s no chance to get anything else.

Got a text today with a Pfizer appointment for Friday. Definitely impressed at the speed, thought it would be end of Sept before I could be fully vaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

My son registered Saturday for mRNA through the portal, got appointment today for Thurs. He's 19. A few of his buddies registered over the weekend and one this morning, all received appointments. Fantastic speed.

Go Ireland indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Excellent!!! Let’s hope it’s a mixture of all 4 vaccines that are taken up!! They’ll fly through them then

Advertisement