Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Unless you've a child, or young teen, 12 to 15 bracket that has an underlying condition that would deem them very vulnerable if they caught Covid. So I think parents can decide if their child needs the vaccine, not someone that says they don't on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Where is the journalistic scrutiny of the Romania jabs? No doubt they asked a pile of stuff nobody has any interest in in the press conferences instead.

Seemingly nobody has even asked since last week. It sounded pretty imminent when 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Not the only story that was put to sleep. If you remember, a few months ago, there was a big front page story on the Sunday Times about the U.K. donating millions of vaccines to Ireland. That story went quiet after about a week.

I've read nothing new on it at all, but the story changed slightly after the week we were told they were on the way, to a logistical issue, having to get all their ducks lined up so to speak. I've also read somewhere that the EU wanted that stock to be put back in the EU pot and that their expry date was nearing...but no write ups or questioning cmo or similar.

A by-election carrot perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

100% agree, but I mean the general population of kids don't , they don;t get seriously ill from it , flu is more dangerous to them.

LEt's see if NPHET recommend all kids need it before lifting restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

So why did our HSE plan a 3 month / 12 week gap between AZ doses?? The pavlovian response is that this was optimal gap, but is/was it and what other factors like unreliability of supplies came into that calculation. Lot of opaqueness in the decisions taken re AZ.

I don't think they will, we don't have enough stock for starters, unless they say Astra Zeneca will be ok for under 18s, anything's possible.

I think they'll take Boris' line, anyone vulnerable under 18 will be done, which would be the most sensible thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Again great news about vaccines do9ing there job.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.28.21259420v1.full.pdf

But from what I interpret this so far is that for :

Single dose protection from symptomatic disease (Delta variant)

Pfizer 56% , Moderna 72% and AstraZeneca 67%.

Single dose protection from hospitalisation or death (delta variant)

Pfizer 76% , Moderna 96% and Astrazeneca 88%

Hence the importance of getting the second jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ultimately everyone will need it given the potential for further strains, potentially vaccine resistant ones. Unless you want more rolling lockdowns for 2 more years until some new biological defence is developed.

• Advertisement

So, again, interesting results published today. Again, my take on it, get vaccinated, get your second jab.

Thread is again great read. Preprint link available. More data is due soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I'm due to get my first vax on Friday

I registered last week as I thought vaccines were complete game changers and was doing my bit to get back to normality

However since I heard 40% of admissions to hospitals in the UK are fully vaccinated people in starting to think what's the point

Someone tell me I'm stupid and the reasons for getting it done. Don't say protect me from covid as I've had it already and had no symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I read an easy way of explaining why we are seeing so many fully vaccinated people in hospital recently and it cleared it up a lot for me. But essentially vaccines work and are absolutely vital, but the current numbers in hospital are just a result of such large case numbers.

Essentially, assume 1000 80+ year olds are exposed to the delta varient where 99% of them have been vaccinated with Pfizer (95% efficacy).

So thats 990 fully vaccinated and 10 who aren't. 5% (1 - 95%) of 990 is c. 50 people who are expected to get covid symptoms if exposed to it. So what you see is 50 fully vaccinated people getting covid and 10 getting covid who do not have the vaccine. At a quick glimpse, you see 5 times as many with covid who are fully vaccinated but that is not the whole picture. You have to compare it to a situation where none of these people are vaccinated which of course would be a much more serious situation.

Post edited by 1huge1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The chances of contracting covid are GREATLY reduced by being fully vaccinated.

The chances of you passing the virus onto someone else are a fraction of that again and the chances of that person passing it on are null. Every vaccinated person is a barrier to the virus, it might get through one or two but then it's toast if it can't reach a new host.

Also catching covid as an vaccinated person means you'll live, relatively unharmed. Without the vaccine it's a gamble what happens to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

You really have an axe to grind. Longer gap between doses on AZ was proving more effacious plus at the time a single dose was having a positive impact on severe illness and hospitalisation. Now being doubled dosed is more important due to delta. You feel left out and annoyed by getting AZ. We get it, but it's revisionism your engaged in.

There was a lot of talk of extending Pfizwr out to 12 works as first dose wasxame against Alpha, that never happened as Pfizer unlike AZ didn't endorse the change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Since things are changing so much and I don't know what's happening anymore, what are the rules after being fully vaccinated?

Does isolation remain if you have symptoms or a close contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Three weeks ago it was agreement in principle and neither imminent nor deal done. DoH working on it with Romanians is the latest and only message. It was mentioned by both Martin and Reid last week.

I understood it that of the 40% of those hospitalised, some of them have only received one dose. So for example if 95% of a population is FULLY vaccinated and vaccines reduce hospitalisations by c90%, the expectation of hospitalisations would be 2/3 of hospitalisations to be among vaccinated people. UK 1st dose is 87.9% and 68.5% 2nd dose for adult population, it would be interesting to see a further breakdown by areas.

Obviously very little data on our youngest group but concern in NI about vaccination rates.

Less stricter restrictions may have some part to play, why bother getting a vaccine when you can drink and eat indoors and outdoors and go about pretty much as normal.

Initial uptake and demand has been very impressive here, but perhaps because we are so desperate to get on with real life.

But I'd envisage similar numbers here shortly. Lots of waiting means less appetite for it.

I'd be curious to see how many 18+ actually registered yesterday for Astra Zeneca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feeling pretty sore today and had a terrible night's sleep. Body feels stiff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

What’s the best way to get to the national show center I usually walk everywhere but there’s a lot of motorways around this way any handy buses that go from around artane

if not taxi it is

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Got my second dose of moderna yesterday. First dose was fine, heavy arm and a little tiredness but all round good - went for run the following day.

Second dose was a different story, got it yesterday at 8.30am. Felt fine all day, woke up at 1am freezing cold with uncomfortable shaking, this lasted about 30-40 mins. Was cold for about 2 hours, had to put on heat and a hoodie in bed (bare in mind it was at least 17 degrees in Dublin lastnight.)

Then I got sweats for a few hours and eventually got back asleep at 7am. Woke up an hour or so ago, feeling much better - tired obviously but no temperature issues, slight migraine but that’s it.

I had prepared myself for feeling unwell, this tends to be common with second dose of moderna. I would suggest whoever is waiting on second dose please do the same, equally would be interested to hear from others who didn’t get any side affects post second dose of moderna

I'd like to see the mixing of vaccines here. If given AZ for example then give Pfizer as second shot. If double vaccinated with AZ then an mRNA vaccine as a booster. The combination results so far have been giving such interesting and promising evidence for long term memory.

Not sure if the it works the other way to the same degree Pfizer and then AZ shot.

I wish that a breakdown of the hospital stats by age group would be given in NI. - anecdotal evidence so far from what I hear is that many are younger people in hospital, not vaccinated or not fully vaccinated. One person I know, his teenage son refuses to get his vaccine - told his Dad - on social media (anti -vax site etc) that it doesn't impact young people etc. No matter how much my friend tells his son to look deeper into data, talk to medics he refuses.

Sad reality is it will impact so many people one way or another - long Covid etc. I find it interesting that BoJo announced similar plans France and Spain about vaccine certs for nightclubs, crowded places etc - but from September.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Didn't have side affects as in any kind of sickness but have never felt as tired as I did the day after the 2nd dose was pretty much bedridden for the day.

17A to Santry and then pick up one of the airport buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Options aren't great, if you can walk to Whitehall you can get the 33 or 41 which will drop you across the road from The Coachman's pub (Stockhole Lane) on the Swords road. It's about a 10min walk from there. Make sure to cross the road at The Coachman's as there isn't another crossing.

When coming back be careful as there isn't a southbound stop at The Coachman's. You need to head back towards Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The only axe I have to grind is to point out the bleedin obvious. We have well paid public servants and politicians to think these things through. It's clear that a poor decision was made in April to use AZ on one section of the general population. A child could think it through and conclude that it was a risk from both a health and political point of view. Several other EU states looked at the situation and decided to remove AZ from their vaccination programme based on 'clot' issues and supply issues. This will I believe sadly come back to bite the state in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,794 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone else have a bad next day after getting the j&j

Body is so stiff around chest/shoulders and the arm I got the injection in. Had a terrible nights sleep

Let's hope it fades away in the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

I felt rough for the whole of the next day, but was perfectly fine the day after. Hopefully the same in your case!

Advertisement