Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not Guilty by reason of Insanity READ OP FIRST

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Great that you're so far above the discourse to wade in sneering at whomever doesn't agree with you, certainly you've shown that broad perspective you bemoaned lacking in others since.

Of course I am above it because I can keep emotions out of the equation.
    Are you posting just to bemoan the court’s decision or to engage in a discussion that focuses on mental health and possible preventative steps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

You seem to be one from looking at previous posts.

Ah so what you're actually asking is why I used flying commas around the word 'expert' in my comment.

The answer is because I regard such 'experts' with much the same contempt as I have for anti-vaxxers.

Bear in mind that similar 'experts' concluded that she had recovered, a couple of years before she killed those unfortunate children.

For all their professed 'expertise' they called it very wrong - and three innocent lives were lost. Yet you appear to believe that I'm the one with the 'wierd fetish'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I do wonder what broke inside her. What triggered this horrific sequence of events.

I dont wish death upon her as others have said. I'd say her own mind will be her prison the rest of her life.

God love that father who has lost everything he ever cared for, I have such sympathy for him.

RIP to those little souls.

Me too ...though we’ll have a Q of grief from the mental health excusers...

Zero thought for three kids who have lost their lives, a father who lost everything, extended family.... should be locked up and left locked up for eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Reading about this case over the last few days I thought it was fairly clear that she would be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

It reminds me though of another case a few years ago where a father(Sanjeev Chada) killed his two sons (see IT article here). The two cases have a lot of similarities, though the father in this one didn't seem to have a history of previous mental illness. I'm not sure I understand why he was found guilty and got 2 life sentences (though is serving them in the Central Mental Hospital) while in very similar circumstances Deirdre Morley is found not guilty due to insanity and could potentially be released in the not too distant future when/if she's deemed well enough by her psychiatrists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Faugheen wrote: »

Comparisons to Alan Hawe are nonsense. He was a controlling d!ck and took his wife and family so they would never find out about his great fall from grace as an upstanding member of the community.

Thankfully people have spent their entire careers in psychiatry disagree with you. What evidence do you have that he was sane? 10 years of counselling usually means something is up.

If you're going to quote the school rumour, this has been clarified by the school to be false.

Much more convenient to just say "evil" I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭yaknowski

Alan Hawe was a pox, mental or not and so is this woman.

I'd assume that she'll top herself if/when her mental health issues are resolved and the gravity of her actions start to bear down on her. Hopefully she is mentally disturbed enough that she never has to fully comprehend or relive the horror.

The last thoughts those children took to the grave was their mother was doing that to them. It's beyond horrific.

How can you be so self-absorbed that you believe your children are better off dead than being without you, when in these cases, the opposite is most definitely true.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

The eldest child was 9.He would have put up a fight and been well aware what was happening, the poor thing.

She collected him from school, bought him a roll and at home she asked him to play a game with her.She said they would both put tape on their mouths and try and speak,then moving to put the bag over their heads as part of this game.

I'm of sound mind and I couldn't plan to such a degree.

Very difficult on a jury of men and women who had little option in verdict delivered.
    I'm sure they struggled to decide on the eldest child.

KingCong wrote: »
    Reading about this case over the last few days I thought it was fairly clear that she would be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

It reminds me though of another case a few years ago where a father(Sanjeev Chada) killed his two sons (see IT article here). The two cases have a lot of similarities, though the father in this one didn't seem to have a history of previous mental illness. I'm not sure I understand why he was found guilty and got 2 life sentences (though is serving them in the Central Mental Hospital) while in very similar circumstances Deirdre Morley is found not guilty due to insanity and could potentially be released in the not too distant future when/if she's deemed well enough by her psychiatrists.

Perhaps his lawyers didn't employ the right 'experts'.

Thankfully people have spent their entire careers in psychiatry disagree with you. What evidence do you have that he was sane? 10 years of counselling usually means something is up.

If you're going to quote the school rumour, this has been clarified by the school to be false.

Much more convenient to just say "evil" I suppose.

Illness should not enable people to live a life devoid of responsibility and outcomes and consequences when they do things that are wrong, illegal and desperately despicable...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Thousands of young men have killed themselves in this country because they could not bring themselves to talk to anyone.

Themselves but not 3 innocent children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I don't know why you're referring to trials, cases and the law considering neither my post nor the one I replied to were talking about the law.

I was talking about the media response. Alan Hawe was made out to be evil incarnate, yet this case is all "the poor craytur". The obvious distinction is that Hawe was a man, so made a useful story for people to push "toxic masculinity" stories, which isn't possible here.

You used the word 'case' in your post. But I accept you are not engaging with law or facts, whereas I am.
    We may be at cross purposes.
    Your point that she is being treated differently because she is a woman may have some merit, but it's purely conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Unfortunately outcomes like this give encouragement to others who are definitely not insane to plead insanity.

Beggars belief why she did this. Was it a sudden bout of madness or were there signs there of something not being right in which case she should have been sectioned earlier.

I see this going the usual route

"The court has ruled and technically its correct and experts have said it so anyone who has an issue with it is either ignorant or a monster"

That wont help the next three kids and bear in mind before that high horse runs off with you on it that the person commenting may have very relevant experience in being raised by parents where the latter's diagnosis and treatment came before the child's wellbeing.
    That's what Tusla is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Such a tragedy. She clearly has serious issues and I agree that she may have little or no control over some of her dark thoughts, but I do not agree that she had no control over her actions.

Many people have dark thoughts, as many of you know already, but we do not have to choose to act upon them. We have free will. Take every thought captive.

Was there any information on what condition she has? Borderline? Paranoia? EUPD? These issues are seemingly becoming more common these days, and we really need to understand them better to recognise the signs in advance. The warning signs are there if we have eyes to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭dmakc

Bit shocked at the amount defending her. At what point does a crime become so heinous that the perpetrator earns sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I don't think most her understand the law, she was never going to be found guilty because simply put she is insane, and she has been found insane, she will spend the rest of her life in a mental institution where she belongs, Jail isn't suitable for people like her

She could never have been found guilty of murder due to the fact anyone with a brain could tell she was bat**** crazy

Most murderers are bat **** crazy. They don't get a free pass.
    Why do you think she's going to spend the rest of her time in a mental institution? In her testimony she talked of being put onto new medication after she was arrested that seems to have stop her psychosis completely. Medication that they were able to proscribe her once they knew the full extent of her mental health issues - something she had been keeping hidden from everyone - including her psychiatrist - because of the shame she felt.

Yet she doesn't mind living with the shame of killing her 3 kids. Give me a break. This woman should spend the rest of her life locked up. Mental illness is not an excuse to murder 3 children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

A lot of criminal acts are committed by mentally ill people - people with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, anti social personality disorder, anxiety, depression etc. They can be clinical or subclinical.

Insanity is a legal term.

The person must at the time the crime was committed have been unable to distinguish right from wrong.

This unfortunately lady could not so she is guilty but insane.

That is my understanding and that is why this was the outcome.

It's understandable that people are angry but this woman was sick at the time she killed her children. Hopefully she can recover and return to normal life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

quickbeam wrote: »
    Why does it even go to trial when the Prosecutors push for a not-guilty verdict.

I'd agree, it does seem that all were in agreement that it was insanity so it is a bit confusing that it required a jury trial.

The fact they had to ask about whether they could consider seperate verdicts as well and were refused is all a bit confusing and you wonder what actual purpose a jury in this case actually served.

Maybe someone with legal knowledge can explain it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Strumms wrote: »
    Illness should not enable people to live a life devoid of responsibility and outcomes and consequences when they do things that are wrong, illegal and desperately despicable...

I agree, it's not exactly getting off scot free though. There will be a sentence and in any moments of improved mental health the realisation of their actions.

My hearts went out to anyone on the Jury. I found the details most upsetting.

• Advertisement

Thousands of young men have killed themselves in this country because they could not bring themselves to talk to anyone.

Suicide is not a crime.

Murder certainly is. Murdering three young, innocent children is as heinous and evil as it gets.

If you are mentally ill, unstable etc.. if you kill someone it’s still murder. You should still be punished, held accountable and society should be protected from you...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Rezident wrote: »
    Such a tragedy. She clearly has serious issues and I agree that she may have little or no control over some of her dark thoughts, but I do not agree that she had no control over her actions.

Many people have dark thoughts, as many of you know already, but we do not have to choose to act upon them. We have free will. Take every thought captive.

Was there any information on what condition she has? Borderline? Paranoia? EUPD? These issues are seemingly becoming more common these days, and we really need to understand them better to recognise the signs in advance. The warning signs are there if we have eyes to see them.

A form of bipolar schizophrenia was what was said by one psychologist yesterday I think.
    She wanted to kill herself too.Not in her right mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Rezident wrote: »

Diagnosed as bi-polar.I think it was after a child patients death which seemingly triggered something.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Most murderers are bat **** crazy.

No they are not. Why would you think that?

BloodBath wrote: »
    Most murderers are bat **** crazy. They don't get a free pass.

Yet she doesn't mind living with the shame of killing her 3 kids. Give me a break. This woman should spend the rest of her life locked up. Mental illness is not an excuse to murder 3 children.

Mental illness and insanity are different.

Insanity means not knowing right from wrong ay the time of the crime.

Lots of people are mentally ill and many people are never diagnosed but they know right from wrong so never come before the courts.

This lady was assessed by a psychiatrist and it was determined she had lost touch with reality believing by killing her children she was doing good. She was the definition of insane.

Ted Bundy had anti social personality disorder but he knew right from wrong so he was not committed to hospital but condemned to death.

That's the difference.

Strumms wrote: »
    Suicide is not a crime.

Murder certainly is. Murdering three young, innocent children is as heinous and evil as it gets.

If you are mentally ill, unstable etc.. if you kill someone it’s still murder. You should still be punished, held accountable and society should be protected from you...

If you are insane you don't know right from wrong.

Mental illness is not the same as insanity.

It's the reason why one person gets committed for murder and another gets sent to prison for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

bubblypop wrote: »
    Your opinion is that all the experts, the jury and the courts are wrong.

NO, the poster disagrees with their judgement, which is different

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

NO, the poster disagrees with their judgement, which is different

the poster disagrees with them because he believes they are wrong.

This lady was assessed by a psychiatrist and it was determined she had lost touch with reality believing by killing her children she was doing good. She was the definition of insane.

Decent of her to leave a note warning her husband not to go upstairs. Surely if she thought that she was doing good, she'd have been looking for his approval.

• Advertisement

Mental health is a serious problem and I'm glad it's getting more attention these days.

That said, this person is a child killer, and shouldn't be allowed out of psychiatric care. Always the possibility of killing someone else.

Plus, rightly or wrongly, she will be targeted both inside and out of any prison/facility. Child killers and pedophiles will always be targets, mental health issues or not. Just reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement