Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog, my garden and neighbours cat

Options

Comments

If the neighbors cat comes onto your property then there is no legal comeback if your dogs killed or injured it.

If they however chased the cat off your property into either your neighbors or a public area then you would be legally responsible.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Read the statute there, I doubt I've anything to worry about. I've spoken to them so I suppose whatever will be will be now. Stupidest cat I've ever come across, I think it might be a bit simple, the rest around the place are grand

They learn quickly. If its a young cat, it may just take a bit longer to cop on!

I used to have cats sitting on my wall looking down in utter contempt at my cocker as she barked herself into a frenzy.

Then my own cat would come along and would immediately chase of the other cats - if anything, she was a much bigger threat to any other cats coming into my garden, then my dog was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

DubInMeath wrote: »
    If the neighbors cat comes onto your property then there is no legal comeback if your dogs killed or injured it.

If they however chased the cat off your property into either your neighbors or a public area then you would be legally responsible.

Go away with that kind of nonsense. What would I be legally responsible for? Trespassing??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭volchitsa

How on earth would that work? They're responsible for the cat running away instead of sitting there waiting to be killed?

Go away with that kind of nonsense. What would I be legally responsible for? Trespassing??

Because your dogs are no longer under effective control.
    That's where the control of dogs act comes into play.

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »
    How on earth would that work? They're responsible for the cat running away instead of sitting there waiting to be killed?

They are responsible if their dogs leave their property.

Because your dogs are no longer under effective control.
    That's where the control of dogs act comes into play.

The dogs are in a back garden. They can't get out.

The dogs are in a back garden. They can't get out.

Then your grand as I said, as long as they don't leave your property.

As OP requested. This is the legislation which will be relevant to your issue in the worst case scenario:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2013/act/15/enacted/en/print#sec11

Also relevant will be this:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1986/act/32/enacted/en/html

So basically the person who fails to fence in their animal is guilty of the offence when it escapes control

So basically the person who fails to fence in their animal is guilty of the offence when it escapes control

Correct in relation to dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Then your grand as I said, as long as they don't leave your property.

Oh right, you meant the owner would be responsible if the dog left the property because it was following a cat?

I thought you meant (and so did others, it seems) that the dog owner became responsible for the cat if the dog chased it off the dog's territory.

I think it's clear from the OP's posts that the dogs can't get out of the garden. So no problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

pinktoe wrote: »
    Copied from the ad:
    The safe/humane way to keep cats and other unwanted pests (Dogs, Foxes, Squirrels, Rodents, some insects) out of your garden with fully adjustable sensitivity and frequency

He has dogs

I have them too and my dogs acknowledged them the first day and haven’t taken any notice of them since...no issues with cats coming in since I got them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Reading with interest. I certainly hope this ‘cats are a protected species’ melarky doesn’t grow legs on this forum the same way as ‘cats are classified as vermin’ did. Neither statement is in any way true at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

As the accidental owner of two former ferals*, I think OP's neighbours are over-reacting. I've built a catio for my two but I do let them out out in the mornings.

If something were to happen to either of mine, all I would hope is that it was over quick.

In the scenario that the OP is faced with, all I can say is that if I were your neighbour there is no way I would blame your dog but I would hope that you would let me know - in other words not to dispose of the remains and say nothing leaving me to wonder what happened to the cat.

*technically one is still feral because although she hasn't left my house since last August and is currently asleep beside me on the sofa, she won't let me pet her :rolleyes:

shar01 wrote: »
    As the accidental owner of two former ferals*, I think OP's neighbours are over-reacting. I've built a catio for my two but I do let them out out in the mornings.

If something were to happen to either of mine, all I would hope is that it was over quick.

In the scenario that the OP is faced with, all I can say is that if I were your neighbour there is no way I would blame your dog but I would hope that you would let me know - in other words not to dispose of the remains and say nothing leaving me to wonder what happened to the cat.

*technically one is still feral because although she hasn't left my house since last August and is currently asleep beside me on the sofa, she won't let me pet her :rolleyes:

I would let you know. It's the cat I don't want to come to physical harm and don't want my dogs to be known as the ones that mauled a cat. I've been advised to poison, bury and kidnap the cat in different posts so far.
    The cat will presumably cop on but it was nearly caught. The older lab barks and then runs at the cat, the younger one stays quiet when making his move. And nearly worked.
    I think he actually wants to get it, that's why I posted.

shar01 wrote: »

It would depend on the neighbour's attitude. If you have the kind of neighbour who would come at you with angry claims (or worse, legal threats!!) that you were somehow responsible for their cat coming into harms way after they were the ones who let their cat out and allowed it to roam in the first place, well then, you'd be less likely to cop to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I've been advised to poison, bury and kidnap the cat in different posts so far.

Will you please report these posts so they can be dealt with. I thought I had read the whole thread but must have missed these.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I would let you know. It's the cat I don't want to come to physical harm and don't want my dogs to be known as the ones that mauled a cat. I've been advised to poison, bury and kidnap the cat in different posts so far.
    The cat will presumably cop on but it was nearly caught. The older lab barks and then runs at the cat, the younger one stays quiet when making his move. And nearly worked.
    I think he actually wants to get it, that's why I posted.

Hopefully it was just a knee-jerk reaction from your neighbours and the cat will cop on and find a new path to patrol. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

If someone was to open a book my money would be on the cat.

I really have seen some nasty scars on dogs after they have pushed their luck with a cat.

Now not all cats defend themselves against a dog but those that do normally win.

My dogs will kill any cat that comes into their garden. There won't be any scars on the dogs! Don't depend on a cat being able to defend itself.

Is it the front or rear garden the cat is coming into?

Knine wrote: »
    My dogs will kill any cat that comes into their garden. There won't be any scars on the dogs! Don't depend on a cat being able to defend itself.

Is it the front or rear garden the cat is coming into?

Rear, I don't have a front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Rear, I don't have a front.

I think you have done all you can by talking to the neighbours. Hopefully the cat learns to stay well away. I would imagine you are not responsible for their cat while on your property

They're a nice couple with a young kid so they're not unapproachable or anything but their reaction was that I shouldn't have dogs that are capable of killing a cat. And they'd look for medical expenses and any other kind of compensation of anything happened.

If their cat came limping home with any kind of injuries, they'd need proof that one of your dogs was responsible or even that it was a dog that caused the injury.

It could get into a fight with another cat, or a fox - like I said earlier, my own cat would not tolerate other cats coming into her patch! I assume your garden isn't the only garden that cat wanders into.

You've done what you can, I wouldn't worry about it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

If you can get hold of some Lion Dung from Dublin Zoo or Fota, spread it around the perimeters of your garden. It is supposed to act as a very effective repellent. Cats are apparently afraid of Lions.

Failing that, you can get pellets called "Silent Roar" which is a type of "Essence of Lion Dung" . As above spread them around the perimeters of your garden as a deterrent.

Bicyclette wrote: »
    If you can get hold of some Lion Dung from Dublin Zoo or Fota, spread it around the perimeters of your garden. It is supposed to act as a very effective repellent. Cats are apparently afraid of Lions.

Failing that, you can get pellets called "Silent Roar" which is a type of "Essence of Lion Dung" . As above spread them around the perimeters of your garden as a deterrent.

Hopefully not serious suggestion!

If their cat came limping home with any kind of injuries, they'd need proof that one of your dogs was responsible or even that it was a dog that caused the injury.

It could get into a fight with another cat, or a fox - like I said earlier, my own cat would not tolerate other cats coming into her patch! I assume your garden isn't the only garden that cat wanders into.

You've done what you can, I wouldn't worry about it any more.

The cats around here do be murdering each other at night time alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Hopefully not serious suggestion!

It actually is, when I lived in London my neighbour volunteered at a wildlife park and would bring lion dung home to put on the garden to keep cats out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If my cat got in to a tussle with my neighbours dog in my neighbours back garden I'd be expecting a vet bill for the dogs injuries even if the cat didn't survive the scrap. And, a lab is perfectly capable of killing a cat.

This doesn't mean the dog will attack children, there's no correlation. It's comparable to a terrier killing a rat. The terrier isn't going to attack human babies.

OP, if there is a scrap get those scratches and scrapes thoroughly disinfected and get the dog straight to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

We have 2 cats(both neutered), one of whom is constantly roaming and getting into all sorts of scuffles. His fight or flight is only ever fight. I've seen him stand his ground and actually attack and chase a few dogs. Were convinced that he'll eventually stand his ground against the wrong dog and that will be the end of him. He is 11 now and still acts like he owns the place.

If he gets himself killed by going into the wrong neighbours back yard then we can have no complaints. If we were really worried about him then we'd keep him inside, but he'd be miserable.

We also have two large dogs, one of whom hates cats, including our own 2, and would almost certainly kill one if he caught it. He is super affectionate and gentle around our kids, but just has a high prey drive when it comes to smaller animals.

If our cat ever gets hurt or worse by a neighbours dog, the thoughts of us demanding recompense is quite frankly, laughable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

A simple sign - beware of dog, danger to cats, posted so your neighbours can see.

You have already told them about your dog, now you have a sign about your dog.

If their cats strays and gets killed, it their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I've a cat and my neighbour has dogs. My cat thinks it's smart enough to be in and out of their garden unscathed. I'm ready for the day that the cat get's caught and possibly killed. I won't fall out with the neighbours about it. It's just natural and unfortunate.

Advertisement